When he got some quality touches vs the Texans
140 combined rush/rec yards..
I think if you follow the blueprint of offensive success
Of late in the North, using 2-RBs in tandem is productive
Hunt/Chubb , Dobbins/Edwards.
When.you add a dynamic piece like Chase and a healthy
JM and JB it easy to overlook a guy like Perine

I think he can give this offense a much needed
Physical presence at RB especially in short yardage.
Plus he has shown he can make things happen
When catches the ball.

I think.he can be a important piece in the offense
In 2021. There is still a need to impose your will
And just punch teams in the mouth via ground game
Reply/Quote
He was worth keeping around. He's never going to be mistaken as a featured back, but he runs hard, and does his best to hit the hole before it closes. His size makes him hard for DBs to bring down, when catching passes on the edges.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He's a <6', 240lb RB who runs a 4.65... he'd have been a FB in past NFL times.

That Houston game is a mirage. The Texans were 32nd in rushing yards allowed and 32nd in rushing yards per attempt allowed last year. David Montgomery ran on that defense for over 10 yards per carry 2 weeks earlier and 1 week later Derrick Henry ran for 250 yards at over 7 yards per carry.

I don't have a statistic to back this up, but I don't think there's really any RBs who are terrible for almost 4 years in the NFL before suddenly breaking out to become a star.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
He's a one trick pony but does that one trick well. I've noticed sometimes when Joe is dancing too much and they put someone else in he typically comes back the next series and hits the hole hard. But I've also noticed once Joe gets in a groove he's in it for awhile and it's best not to cool him. So maybe a little more time/touches but not much
Reply/Quote
I'd say even though he's a 6th round pick there's a fair chance C. Evans makes the roster. I wouldn't be upset if Perine also made it as a backup.
Reply/Quote
I like Perine,and I’m glad they kept him.I see him as a tough,durable runningback.He doesn’t have a lot of top end speed,but he has a nice burst we he sees an opening.I was a little surprised of how quick he gets up to speed for the first 10-15 yards.Looks faster on the field than his 40 time implies.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2021, 07:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's a <6', 240lb RB who runs a 4.65... he'd have been a FB in past NFL times.

That Houston game is a mirage. The Texans were 32nd in rushing yards allowed and 32nd in rushing yards per attempt allowed last year. David Montgomery ran on that defense for over 10 yards per carry 2 weeks earlier and 1 week later Derrick Henry ran for 250 yards at over 7 yards per carry.

I don't have a statistic to back this up, but I don't think there's really any RBs who are terrible for almost 4 years in the NFL before suddenly breaking out to become a star.
So actually Perine didnt look like a one man wrecking crew
Vs the Texans.
Hey look I get it, Perine isnt the 2nd coming of
Jerome Bettis or Pete Johnson.
Yeah he barely played in Washington so he can 
Be easily dismissed, right?
Lets not forget the Bengals organization from
Time to.Time had been able take other teams 
Trash and all of a sudden they become extremely
Productive in Stripes.
Adam Jones, Reggie Nelson, Dhani Jones, Chris Crocker
Cedric Benson, 
So if Perine's  output vs the Texans is a mirage 
Is Henry's too?
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2021, 07:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's a <6', 240lb RB who runs a 4.65... he'd have been a FB in past NFL times.

If he can pass block as well as Gio did, and also crush LBs in the hole, why not make him the 3rd down back?  He catches well, can make a move in space, and hits the hole hard.  Like I said previously, not a featured back, but worth having on the team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He's "a guy", but he runs hard. Probably good for a breather, and maybe on the goal line/short yardage.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2021, 10:05 PM)impactplaya Wrote: So actually Perine didnt look like a one man wrecking crew
Vs the Texans.
Productive in Stripes.
Cedric Benson, 
Is Henry's too?

He had 175 carries his rookie year. He played. He just wasn't particularly good.

Umm... what? 
Adam Jones had a 4 INT/3 Punt Return TD season and was All-Rookie Team Pre-Bengals. His problem was off-the-field issues.
Reggie Nelson, he had a 5 INT/2 FF rookie season and was also named to the All-Rookie Team, but then had 3 different DCs in 3 years.

I debated if this is even worth responding to. You just compared Samaje Perine vs a guy who ran for 2k yards and has led the NFL in rushing yards the last 2 years. If Henry was crap the entire season preceding that game, then yes, but he wasn't.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2021, 10:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He had 175 carries his rookie year. He played. He just wasn't particularly good.

Umm... what? 
Adam Jones had a 4 INT/3 Punt Return TD season and was All-Rookie Team Pre-Bengals. His problem was off-the-field issues.
Reggie Nelson, he had a 5 INT/2 FF rookie season and was also named to the All-Rookie Team, but then had 3 different DCs in 3 years.

I debated if this is even worth responding to. You just compared Samaje Perine vs a guy who ran for 2k yards and has led the NFL in rushing yards the last 2 years. If Henry was crap the entire season preceding that game, then yes, but he wasn't.
Thanks for.your contribution.
However you initally brought up Henry in the discussion
I merely stated that Perine could be a overlooked part
Of the offense going foward.
I never said he was in the same category as Henry
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2021, 10:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: He's "a guy", but he runs hard. Probably good for a breather, and maybe on the goal line/short yardage.

Right
Reply/Quote
Well we shall see now won't we when NFL 2021 hits the field.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2021, 05:47 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Small  sample size in 2020 but I liked what he showed
When he got some quality touches vs the Texans
140 combined rush/rec yards..
I think if you follow the blueprint of offensive success
Of late in the North, using 2-RBs in tandem is productive
Hunt/Chubb , Dobbins/Edwards.
When.you add a dynamic piece like Chase and a healthy
JM and JB it easy to overlook a guy like Perine

I think he can give this offense a much needed
Physical presence at RB especially in short yardage.
Plus he has shown he can make things happen
When catches the ball.

I think.he can be a important piece in the offense
In 2021. There is still a need to impose your will
And just punch teams in the mouth via ground game

I like the idea of my change-of-pace back that gives Mixon a blow now and then being a big back over a smaller, supposedly quicker back.  Tackling a 240 RB in the fourth quarter after you have been getting pounded by Mixon all day isn't my idea of fun.  I think Perine proved his ability in a small sample size and hope he continues to escalate.  

As far as why he showed late last season, I think some credit has to go to the much-maligned offensive line.  When XSF returned and the guards were him and Spain, the rushing attack responded.  I think being stronger in the middle of the line from week 1 will go a long way toward helping all the running backs.  That, and Pollack as coach over the assbag Turner.  
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2021, 09:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'd say even though he's a 6th round pick there's a fair chance C. Evans makes the roster. I wouldn't be upset if Perine also made it as a backup.

Although Trayveon Williams was a beast in college, I think he has not shown the athleticism for someone of his size.  I think Chris Evans takes his job as RB3.  His abilities as a receiver should put him over Williams.  

I like the idea of Mixon, Perine, and Evans.  
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2021, 10:05 PM)impactplaya Wrote: So actually Perine didnt look like a one man wrecking crew
Vs the Texans.
Productive in Stripes.
Cedric Benson, 
Is Henry's too?

To put it more in terms of RB performance, our own Rudi Johnson barely touched the ball his first two seasons in Cincinnati and went on to have some really strong 1400+ yard seasons for the Bengals.  I am not saying at all that Perine is that player, but I think he is a guy that if Mixon is out for a game here or there could carry the load and would hold up just fine.  

Dismissing his one big game against the Texans is somewhat dismissive of his performance the rest of the season.  Yes, he had 13 rushes for 95 yards against the Texans (on a defense that should have been set to defend the run, with Brandon Allen at QB) but he also had a total of 301 yards rushing for the season on 63 carries, or a 4.8 YPC average.  That dog will hunt. 

Like I said in another post:  some of his performance can be attributed to the return of XSF and the stabilization of the offensive line, but he still averaged close to 5 ypc in 63 carries so I don't see that as a fluke.  
Reply/Quote
I suppose he's an ok backup RB. I'm never too concerned with that spot, but he should be serviceable.

What I will say is, I do think his performance last year shows just how terribly overrated Joe Mixon is. Mixon has way more talent but just isn't that good. He has problems hitting the holes and reading his blocks.

Look at these numbers, and keep in mind Mixon was playing with Joe Burrow and Jonah Williams, where the bulk of Perine's stats came without both of them.

Perine - 63 carries, 301 yards, 3 TD's, 4.8 YPC

Mixon - 119 carries, 428 yards, 3 TD's, 3.6 YPC
Reply/Quote
I believe Samaje Perine's style compliments Joe Mixon. He fit the heavy inside run offense the Bengals used last year more than Giovani Bernard.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
He’s going to win me my Fantasy league this year. He’s my super secret RB I’m taking late in the draft that people are going to laugh and crack jokes for me taking him, but when Joe goes down later this season the Bengals are going to need to plug someone in there and I think he’s shown enough to prove he can be a featured power back in the league when used right.

You saw it here first.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2021, 10:11 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I suppose he's an ok backup RB.  I'm never too concerned with that spot, but he should be serviceable.

What I will say is, I do think his performance last year shows just how terribly overrated Joe Mixon is.  Mixon has way more talent but just isn't that good.  He has problems hitting the holes and reading his blocks.

Look at these numbers, and keep in mind Mixon was playing with Joe Burrow and Jonah Williams, where the bulk of Perine's stats came without both of them.

Perine - 63 carries, 301 yards, 3 TD's, 4.8 YPC

Mixon - 119 carries, 428 yards, 3 TD's, 3.6 YPC

I think Mixon became infatuated with L. Bell's running style and tried to mimic it. We didn't have the line for that and I don't think that style is for him.

Hopefully he's gave up on that.
Reply/Quote