Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samajae Perine...your thoughts?
I am a big SEC fan so I like Trayveon a lot. But it looks like Perine passed him on the depth chart last year.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2021, 07:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's a <6', 240lb RB who runs a 4.65... he'd have been a FB in past NFL times.

That Houston game is a mirage. The Texans were 32nd in rushing yards allowed and 32nd in rushing yards per attempt allowed last year. David Montgomery ran on that defense for over 10 yards per carry 2 weeks earlier and 1 week later Derrick Henry ran for 250 yards at over 7 yards per carry.

I don't have a statistic to back this up, but I don't think there's really any RBs who are terrible for almost 4 years in the NFL before suddenly breaking out to become a star.

Size doesn't determine a FB. He runs nothing like a FB. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2021, 10:11 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I suppose he's an ok backup RB.  I'm never too concerned with that spot, but he should be serviceable.

What I will say is, I do think his performance last year shows just how terribly overrated Joe Mixon is.  Mixon has way more talent but just isn't that good.  He has problems hitting the holes and reading his blocks.

Look at these numbers, and keep in mind Mixon was playing with Joe Burrow and Jonah Williams, where the bulk of Perine's stats came without both of them.

Perine - 63 carries, 301 yards, 3 TD's, 4.8 YPC

Mixon - 119 carries, 428 yards, 3 TD's, 3.6 YPC

This also highlights the importance of the inside blocking of the guards, or lack thereof, for Mixon.  
Reply/Quote
With Mixon not getting vaccinated he becomes extremely important
Reply/Quote
Samaje is a great depth RB. He shown it late last year. Big, good burst, good hands.

Really like our RB's especially with the depth add of Chris Evans who is like a Gio clone.

Mixon, Samaje, Evans and if Trayveon actually starts to play like he did in college we are really good here.

Safety, WR and RB are really good on this team if the starters stay healthy.

Want to see the trenches come around and everything could fall into place. We will see.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2021, 10:47 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Size doesn't determine a FB. He runs nothing like a FB. 

Agree, Samaje is a RB all the way. Very good runner.
Reply/Quote
I like watching Perine run - he doesn't dance and just hits the hole hard and takes off. Good cuts too. Shades of Rudi Johnson.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2021, 12:28 AM)Joelist Wrote: I like watching Perine run - he doesn't dance and just hits the hole hard and takes off. Good cuts too. Shades of Rudi Johnson.

I can see that, Perine is a better pass catcher out of the backfield though than Rudi was IMO.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 06:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree, Samaje is a RB all the way. Very good runner.

Yep, I didn't see any other Bengal backs with a 46 yd TD run last season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2021, 10:47 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Size doesn't determine a FB. He runs nothing like a FB. 

It’s easy when you’ve got the best blocking TE in the league! Ninja

Ah for real though the blocking and particularly Sample looked good on those runs. Makes all the difference.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 09:51 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, I didn't see any other Bengal backs with a 46 yd TD run last season.

Truth.

(07-25-2021, 10:14 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It’s easy when you’ve got the best blocking TE in the league! Ninja

Ah for real though the blocking and particularly Sample looked good on those runs. Makes all the difference.

Sample is underrated around here as a run blocker especially with Wes.

Just hope he loses a little weight and gets faster. Sample is a plodder. But he has good hands and is solid.
Reply/Quote