Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Sample 0 Catches
(09-21-2021, 08:44 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I think they are using Uzomah more ,motioning him
Into a FB position more pre snap.
Uzomah is clearly getting more reps than Sample
Sample is very limited in what he gives a offense.
When Sample is in.the game usually it's a tip off
Its a running play.
The Bengals could cut him tomorrow and I bet at best
He goes on a practice squad.
He isnt a threat to get YAC. Defenses don't have
To commit their best coverage LB on him when
He does go downfield for his typical checkdown route

Uzomah is the better TE so he would get more snaps.
Reply/Quote
Just a clarification question. Are we disappointed in Sample as a player or because of his draft position? If he was a 5th round pick would he be fine -even up for an extension?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 08:24 AM)corpjet Wrote: Let's be honest the whole 2019 draft was a joke, Jonah (when healthy) has been the single asset we have pulled from that draft.

2 - Sample = bust
3 - Pratt = hasn't worked out like most other LBers we have swung and missed on, still on roster but......
4 - Finley - not in the NFL
4 - Wren = laughable, cut now on PS has done nothing
5 - Michael Jordan got Joe Burrow injured
6 - T Williams - mop up play
6 - D Davis who?  another busted LBer pick
6 - Rodney Anderson - another swing and miss on a good but injured player
7 - Jordan Brown - like the other Jordan we drafted this year did nothing and is now selling cars at Joe Morgan Honda

And quite honestly Jonah last week against the Bears was average at best.  

Out of all 5 OL, he was probably the best but is that really saying much?

However, you'll have people on here who will still to this day say this wasn't Zac Taylors first draft class.  

You can only count the 2020 class and 2021 class....SMH....
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:37 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I wanted to bring up something that we can all agree on, Sample is just useless out there. What a joke.

I’ve seen teams alleviate pressure by utilizing TEs as that quick safety net ala Heath Miller or Jason Witten, but have we even tried?  No, he’s just out there for blocking… Just put in a lineman as eligible receiver to do his job. Either that or actually throw some short stuff over the middle.

I’ve defended Sandra a lot, but at this point it’s pathetic, there is absolutely no reason to use him as a blocker if he contributes nothing in the pass game. He isn’t fooling anyone.

0 catches is to small a sample
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:21 AM)jj22 Wrote: Just a clarification question. Are we disappointed in Sample as a player or because of his draft position? If he was a 5th round pick would he be fine -even up for an extension?

Right right...  Its always based on Draft position or contract value right...  

Cause if Sample is playing like a 5th rounder then we missed out on a legit 2nd rounder that could be helping the team
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:21 AM)jj22 Wrote: Just a clarification question. Are we disappointed in Sample as a player or because of his draft position? If he was a 5th round pick would he be fine -even up for an extension?

This thread is less about his draft position and more about the futility in how we use him that makes any blocking skills he has completely useless. Since he never catches a pass, the defense doesn’t have to account for him so his blocking isn’t really a factor. As someone said earlier, when he is in the game it’s clear we are most likely going to run the ball.

Kind of like running play action without ever actually running the ball. Nobody is going to fall for it, so there is no point in doing it.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:07 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I just don’t think TE blocking can be nearly as effective if you aren’t some type of threat in the passing game. Defenses know he isn’t getting the ball, so all they need to do is get past him. Again, ditch Sandra and put in a 6th lineman if you aren’t going to throw to them occasionally.

Some people just don't understand football.

Ryan Hewitt played about 25 snaps a game for our elite 2015 offense.  Despite not putting up any impressive recpetions numbers his blocking was a big part of the success of that team.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:52 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This thread is less about his draft position and more about the futility in how we use him that makes any blocking skills he has completely useless. Since he never catches a pass, the defense doesn’t have to account for him so his blocking isn’t really a factor. As someone said earlier, when he is in the game it’s clear we are most likely going to run the ball.

Kind of like running play action without ever actually running the ball. Nobody is going to fall for it, so there is no point in doing it.

Yeah kind of a point I was about to make that yeah again he was a bad pick in 2. But I think he can be a contributor if we use him correctly. I think he should be getting some targets if only to make defenses account for him and he has reliable hands and he gets up field quickly after the catch. He also has his moments blocking but needs to be put in favorable spots.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Some people just don't understand football.

Ryan Hewitt played about 25 snaps a game for our elite 2015 offense.  Despite not putting up any impressive recpetions numbers his blocking was a big part of the success of that team.

IIRC Hewitt played mostly FB and swung out to TE on clear running downs.

P.S. thanks for being a dick, wouldn’t expect anything less.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:21 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: IIRC Hewitt played mostly FB and swung out to TE on clear running downs.

And according to you that means he was "completely useless".  Yet somehow he was a key part of a top offense.

Lot's of teams have guys like Sample that play 20-25 snaps a game mainly for their blocking skills.

So like I said, some people just don't understand football.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And according to you that means he was "completely useless".  Yet somehow he was a key part of a top offense.

Lot's of teams have guys like Sample that play 20-25 snaps a game mainly for their blocking skills.

That's why I asked if this criticism is mainly due to him being a 2nd round pick. Which it sounds like it is, and not necessarily the philosophy of having a blocking TE. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:31 AM)jj22 Wrote: That's why I asked if this criticism is mainly due to him being a 2nd round pick. Which it sounds like it is, and not necessarily the philosophy of having a blocking TE. 

This.

Most people hate on Sample because he was a 2nd round pick.  Even I agree he was probably overdrafted.  But it is silly to act like no other team uses players like him mainly for their blocking ability or that he is "completely useless" just because he does not catch a lot of passes.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And according to you that means he was "completely useless".  Yet somehow he was a key part of a top offense.

They aren’t using Sample like they did Hewitt in 2015.

You’re right, some people just don’t understand football.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:07 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I just don’t think TE blocking can be nearly as effective if you aren’t some type of threat in the passing game. Defenses know he isn’t getting the ball, so all they need to do is get past him. Again, ditch Sandra and put in a 6th lineman if you aren’t going to throw to them occasionally.

Not to mention the telegraphing of plays with him in the personnel package. As you said, he isnt fooling anybody. Nor is he blocking anybody.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:36 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: They aren’t using Sample like they did Hewitt in 2015.

Our head coach is one of them
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:36 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: They aren’t using Sample like they did Hewitt in 2015.

Hewitt lined up much more often at TE/slot than he did as a lead FB.  When Eifert went out with injury in 2014 Hewitt played almost 500 snaps with the overwhelming majority at TE.

If you want to die on this cross I will forget about Hewitt and just start pointing out all the other players on other teams who are used for blocking just like we use Sample.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:45 AM)Blazer7051 Wrote: Nor is he blocking anybody.

Link?  What are you basing this claim on?

I don't know about his blocking numbers this year, but last year pretty much all sources had himlisted as one of the best blocking TEs in the entire league.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Hewitt lined up much more often at TE/slot than he did as a lead FB.  When Eifert went out with injury in 2014 Hewitt played almost 500 snaps with the overwhelming majority at TE.

If you want to die on this cross I will forget about Hewitt and just start pointing out all the other players on other teams who are used for blocking just like we use Sample.

Please do. When you do, I’ll point out that these guys go out on routes less and are more often dedicated blockers.

The problem with the way the team uses Sample is that he often is chipping to go out onto a route instead of a dedicated block. Somebody posted those stats a few months back that showed Sample ran routes on most plays. I don’t believe this to be the case with the other TEs you are going to list.

I’d be fine with this if he occasionally got the ball, but he doesn’t just because there are so many other reads before him and no time to get to him I’m the progression. FWIW I went hard on Sample when really it’s the scheme that puts him behind the 8ball.

I still believe that with the woes this offense has they would be better off using a 6th tackle and having no TE route on the play. I don’t understand football though, so I’m sure everything I said is completely wrong.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:37 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I wanted to bring up something that we can all agree on, Sample is just useless out there. What a joke.

I’ve seen teams alleviate pressure by utilizing TEs as that quick safety net ala Heath Miller or Jason Witten, but have we even tried?  No, he’s just out there for blocking… Just put in a lineman as eligible receiver to do his job. Either that or actually throw some short stuff over the middle.

I’ve defended Sandra a lot, but at this point it’s pathetic, there is absolutely no reason to use him as a blocker if he contributes nothing in the pass game. He isn’t fooling anyone.

HORRIBLE pick by Taylor,guy does nothing and is a horrible blocker.Gets beat all game.Zac Taylor is awlful at picking top players.This O-line is just awlful,all five guys.Outside of Reiff its the same line he had last year.Why do you draft players and not play them???We are going NOWHERE WITH this awlful line.I said last year to not start number 73,he is going to get Burrow KILLED.Burrow will not last the season and will want out of cincy like all the other.s
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 12:56 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: HORRIBLE pick by Taylor,guy does nothing and is a horrible blocker.Gets beat all game.Zac Taylor is awlful at picking top players.This O-line is just awlful,all five guys.Outside of Reiff its the same line he had last year.Why do you draft players and not play them???We are going NOWHERE WITH this awlful line.I said last year to not start number 73,he is going to get Burrow KILLED.Burrow will not last the season and will want out of cincy like all the other.s
Sample had his moments blocking when they're not asking him to do too much. He seems much better at run blocking and when he gets out in the secondary.

After watching the 1st 2 games I want to agree that this line is gonna get Burrow killed. But I just saw a stat from Ben Baby that going into MNF the Bengals ranked 7th in pass block win rate. Which definitely seemed confusing to me but it does seem most of the sacks especially from the oline are communication errors. Also I just saw one of the sacks against the Bears was due to a WR not running a screen they were supposed to. I noticed it in game because Jonah and Spain released they're guys and headed out like it was a screen and Burrow hesitated for a sec then tried to run but Mack beat XSF and got the sack. It looks like it was probably supposed to be Chase and looked like it could've been a big play.
Reply/Quote