Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample Earns Strong Review
This may sound a bit strange but if I'm building an offense I start with run blocking TEs who can pancake small defensive backs. This opens up the run game and helps with the long ball, getting one-on-one matchups for the quick strike. Of course the OL and DL are just as important, but if you can get a TE that blocks in space, that's only going to help your offense -- often in a big way.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 09:41 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: When we took Sample I looked up his stats and was confused. Way too high of a pick for a guy with barely any receiving ability, I thought. However, the more research you do on the guy, and if you watch the games, you can see he is pretty damn fluid and has good hands.

TE was a HUGE need for this team. Eifert is way too unreliable, but Dalton is a 2x better QB when he is around. We all witnessed the dropoff in offensive production once he went down.

I believe Dalton is a TE needy QB (who isn't), much like a Matt Schaub. Allz i'm saying is, Drew Sample could be the James Casey to Tyler Eifert's Owen Daniels, if you know what I mean!

Great post GCB, love the James Casey/Owen Daniels part. Daniels that one year was like the best TE in the NFL.

I think we might see more of the TE being used then what some have been thinking.

We know the Rams didn't use the TE much in the passing game but from everything i am seeing Taylor and Callahan will have every option open. Like you said, Dalton needs a good TE and with Sample he just seems solid in every aspect and is more likely to stay healthy (knock on wood) then a TE like Eifert.

We will see, i knew about Sample and did think he would fall further then he did prior to the Draft. But we all know how the Draft goes and we got the best blocking TE which is very valuable. Other teams in the 2nd round were going to take him right after us too from all reports. To trade back and get him while adding another player actually might be the best move in this Draft and i liked everything that went on. Got my 2nd favorite Linebacker in Pratt, an athletic, freak talent at DT in Wrenn and the best RB in the entire Draft in Traveon Williams in the 6th round.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 12:26 AM)EatonFan Wrote: This may sound a bit strange but if I'm building an offense I start with run blocking TEs who can pancake small defensive backs. This opens up the run game and helps with the long ball, getting one-on-one matchups for the quick strike. Of course the OL and DL are just as important, but if you can get a TE that blocks in space, that's only going to help your offense -- often in a big way.

Doesn't sound strange to me at all, just makes sense.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 01:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great post GCB, love the James Casey/Owen Daniels part. Daniels that one year was like the best TE in the NFL.

I think we might see more of the TE being used then what some have been thinking.

We know the Rams didn't use the TE much in the passing game but from everything i am seeing Taylor and Callahan will have every option open. Like you said, Dalton needs a good TE and with Sample he just seems solid in every aspect and is more likely to stay healthy (knock on wood) then a TE like Eifert.

We will see, i knew about Sample and did think he would fall further then he did prior to the Draft. But we all know how the Draft goes and we got the best blocking TE which is very valuable. Other teams in the 2nd round were going to take him right after us too from all reports. To trade back and get him while adding another player actually might be the best move in this Draft and i liked everything that went on. Got my 2nd favorite Linebacker in Pratt, an athletic, freak talent at DT in Wrenn and the best RB in the entire Draft in Traveon Williams in the 6th round.

I see no reason why our offense shouldn't be Texans 2012 redeux. 

Mixon similar to Arian Foster
AJ similar to Andre
TEs (hell our coach is James Casey lol)

They did a ton of PA boot because of the strong run game, and it helped take the pressure off of Schaub, who was actually a pretty good QB when in the right system (similar to Dalton, got a lot hate despite doing a ton of good for the franchise).

We'll see!
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 09:08 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I see no reason why our offense shouldn't be Texans 2012 redeux. 

AJ similar to Andre

They did a ton of PA boot because of the strong run game, and it helped take the pressure off of Schaub, who was actually a pretty good QB when in the right system (similar to Dalton, got a lot hate despite doing a ton of good for the franchise).

We'll see!

I hope you are right
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 09:08 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I see no reason why our offense shouldn't be Texans 2012 redeux. 

AJ similar to Andre

We'll see!

Almost seems just as likely as trying to be the Rams Offense, if not more likely judging from the players. Namely Sample, who reminds me of Heath Miller, an all around TE that blocks well and can make the clutch plays in the passing game on roll outs and TE screens.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 09:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Good to hear :andy:

I really think Sample will be a big part of the plan this coming season.

Probably not.
Reply/Quote
I haven't read through this thread since it was new, but I recall this being very much along the lines of "Sample is going to be good, ZT is making this pick, too!" Hope springs eternal, and I feel like during the draft and right after we were convinced/hoping that:

#1 - the draft was awesome
#2 - ZT had a big say in drafting the awesome guys we drafted
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 08:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I haven't read through this thread since it was new, but I recall this being very much along the lines of "Sample is going to be good, ZT is making this pick, too!"  Hope springs eternal, and I feel like during the draft and right after we were convinced/hoping that:

#1 - the draft was awesome
#2 - ZT had a big say in drafting the awesome guys we drafted

When Bernard got paid like a Top 15 back...people were all like 'WOW! ZT must be going to use Bernard A LOT'.

Yeah...NO the Bengals just overpaid him in case Mixon holds out next year.
Reply/Quote
Drew Sample or Freddy Childress?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Drew Sample...another strong draft from Duke Tobin. Why does he still have a job?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 09:13 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Drew Sample...another strong draft from Duke Tobin. Why does he still have a job?

No idea. Must have pictures of Mike Brown n a donkey.
Reply/Quote
For the record I thought this pick could be a reach in the draft thread. In hindsight its looking like it was a Mr Fantastic stretchy arm reach.

That said is it too early to label him bust second rounder, or does he actually have to get on the field first?
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I am surprised the Bengals didn't use two TE sets against the Cardinals who are just as bad as Bengals at covering TE...
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 09:14 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: No idea. Must have pictures of Mike Brown n a donkey.

No it is a bust

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 09:31 PM)Millhouse Wrote: For the record I thought this pick could be a reach in the draft thread. In hindsight its looking like it was a Mr Fantastic stretchy arm reach.

That said is it too early to label him bust second rounder, or does he actually have to get on the field first?

Next year when he actually plays we can call him a rookie at least.
Reply/Quote