Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample Earns Strong Review
This is encouraging to say the least.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/14/drew-sample-strong-review-bengals-rookie-minicamp/
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I know it was only Rookie Minicamp, but that's encouraging news and I'll take it!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 06:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I know it was only Rookie Minicamp, but that's encouraging news and I'll take it!

if he frees up eifert  its gonna be a good time
Reply/Quote
Quote:And the good news here is that Sample has already shown a pretty good ability to pick up what’s being taught and apply it, which is obviously key to contributing as a rookie.

This is still extremely early and it was only rookie minicamp, but it is interesting to already hear Sample looked good in his planned role.

I didn't hate the pick, and I think he could be very good for us in his role, but, in all fairness, this article does very little in terms of a "review."

I'm glad he's "shown a pretty good ability to pick up what’s being taught and apply it," but that's the only sentence that comments on anything he did at rookie mini-camp. The rest is commentary on what he brings to the table, and how the Bengals might plan to use him.

I hope the best for and from him. WHO DEY!
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 08:48 PM)Shady Wrote: I didn't hate the pick, and I think he could be very good for us in his role, but, in all fairness, this article does very little in terms of a "review."

I'm glad he's "shown a pretty good ability to pick up what’s being taught and apply it," but that's the only sentence that comments on anything he did at rookie mini-camp. The rest is commentary on what he brings to the table, and how the Bengals might plan to use him.

That's exactly what they were saying about Gronk at his rookie mini camp....maybe
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 08:48 PM)Shady Wrote: I didn't hate the pick, and I think he could be very good for us in his role, but, in all fairness, this article does very little in terms of a "review."

Personally, I think that one sentence speaks loudly.  Being able to learn the play book, and demonstrate what is supposed to happen in those plays is nothing to be taken lightly.  NFL offenses are complex, and require as much cerebral focus as they do physical output.  For a rookie minicamp, I'd say that's about as glowing a review as he could get.  (granted, it would have been nice to hear some specific examples cited)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Good to hear :andy:

I really think Sample will be a big part of the plan this coming season.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 06:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if he frees up eifert  its gonna be a good time

Free up Eifert to what? Get hurt even quicker than usual?
Reply/Quote
It's a good sign, despite it being a small Sample size.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 09:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Good to hear  :andy:

I think that you just might be right.  On night two of the draft, when his name was called;  I was like who??  I really hadn't paid a lot of attention to Pac 12 games lately.  And then I saw all the people saying things like "We wasted our 2nd round pick on a guy with only X number of catches, for Y number of yards, with only Z number of TDs".  So, I decided to watch a little bit of him in game videos.  It didn't take me long to discover what this Super Hero's special powers are.  Let me say this, "Man, can that guy block!".  Not only can he block, he knows who to block in order to make the play go farther.  

That in itself shows a special quality not found in most athletes of his caliber, selflessness.  He has the ability to love playing the game and enjoy helping his team, without having to make a big impact on the stat sheets to achieve that satisfaction.  And, it's not like he can't catch or run routes, because he can, very well at that.  In fact, on many CFB teams, he might have been their 2nd options on all pass plays called. (Iowa??)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's a good sign that he's grasping the offense quickly and learning what to do.

Freeing Eifert up from blocking MAY help him avoid injury a little more. (I know the ankle thing was freak injury, but blocking is rough on a back which he's also had issues with.)
Reply/Quote
I don't think Eifert will be the TE 1. I think he will be used sparingly. Toss Eifert in there to confuse the defense since he is 6'5" and rarely drops the ball.... and use Sample and Uzo as the main TEs. When healthy our redzone offense could be nuts.

Having another blocker out there will help our tackles. And add Jonah Williams to that tackle group and guard/center might be our biggest issue in 2019 as far as the OL is concerned.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 08:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Personally, I think that one sentence speaks loudly.  Being able to learn the play book, and demonstrate what is supposed to happen in those plays is nothing to be taken lightly.  NFL offenses are complex, and require as much cerebral focus as they do physical output.  For a rookie minicamp, I'd say that's about as glowing a review as he could get.  (granted, it would have been nice to hear some specific examples cited)

Right, that's what I was getting at. I'm a writer, so I can be a little picky about stuff. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like fluff for this guy since the fan base generally hated the pick (unless you are a super homer that thinks the Bengals can do no wrong). The funniest part is we havent even gone 11-on-11, basically no real "live" action and he had a great minicamp. LOL
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 09:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Good to hear  :andy:

I dont think we paid Uzomah to sit on the bench and if Eifert is healthy he one of the biggest weapons we have on offense so I'm not really sure where that leaves Sample for this year.  I think hell see quite a bit more playing time in the future but if Eifert and Uzomah stay healthy this year I dont think well see a alot from Sample.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:30 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: I dont think we paid Uzomah to sit on the bench and if Eifert is healthy he one of the biggest weapons we have on offense so I'm not really sure where that leaves Sample for this year.  I think hell see quite a bit more playing time in the future but if Eifert and Uzomah stay healthy this year I dont think well see a alot from Sample.

$3.4 Mil of CJ's money this year is roster bonus. Mikey can pocket that money  if we cut him. Don't be surprised to see J (c what I did) not on our roster
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 01:23 AM)bfine32 Wrote: $3.4 Mil of CJ's money this year is roster bonus. Mikey can pocket that money  if we cut him. Don't be surprised to see J (c what I did) not on our roster

Lol cj is an absolute lock to be on roster. I have no idea why u would even think this is a possibilty.  
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:25 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: Sounds like fluff for this guy since the fan base generally hated the pick (unless you are a super homer that thinks the Bengals can do no wrong). The funniest part is we havent even gone 11-on-11, basically no real "live" action and he had a great minicamp. LOL

If the patriots somehow traded up to get Sample, it would’ve been reviewed as an awesome move by BB and crew. But since it was an unproven ZT and a FO traditionally trashed for breathing (and rightfully so on many things), it was a questionable pick. I think Zac is pretty intelligent and does his homework. With an OL in bad shape and a glass TE on the roster, this pick was smart. Sample learning the playbook quickly also speaks highly of his work ethic and desire to do his job.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 06:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if he frees up eifert  its gonna be a good time

Eifert would definitely benefit from being more more as a receiver rather than a blocker for durability sake. Plus, Eifert is the 2nd or 3rd best pass catcher on the team, so he needs to be out there if healthy. And bring Ross in occasionally in place of Sample, Eifert, or Mixon (no RB sets) for some added explosion.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 11:33 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: I don't think Eifert will be the TE 1. I think he will be used sparingly. Toss Eifert in there to confuse the defense since he is 6'5" and rarely drops the ball.... and use Sample and Uzo as the main TEs. When healthy our redzone offense could be nuts.

Having another blocker out there will help our tackles. And add Jonah Williams to that tackle group and guard/center might be our biggest issue in 2019 as far as the OL is concerned.

We could just rebrand Eifert as a WR and have him play outside. Probably would be our best option at the 3rd WR anyways.

Reply/Quote