Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample Earns Strong Review
(05-15-2019, 09:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Good to hear  :andy:

I really think Sample will be a big part of the plan this coming season.

I hope you're right buddy.  I wasn't happy with the pick at first, but I'm warming up to it, slowly.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 03:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This is great. He's as fundamental as any coach could ask. I believe he will make all realize he was chosen at the right spot and also make others stand and respect the knowledge of ZT and this staff. As has been said many times, most of these coaches are college coaches who know what an asset this guy brings to the Bengals. They were not swayed by the numbers. This kid is going to be solid brick in the foundation of the offense as long as he stays healthy.

Wasn't Reggie Kelly drafted in the second round?  The most "Meh" player at the time but man could that guy block.  I mean Textbook blocking.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 08:49 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Wasn't Reggie Kelly drafted in the second round?  The most "Meh" player at the time but man could that guy block.  I mean Textbook blocking.  

I don't remember when Reggie Kelly was Drafted but what is nice about Sample is he caught pretty much everything thrown to him and was the best blocker in this Draft class. Sample is more of a complete TE then Kelly already and can grow in the passing game big time still. Also, this strong review is better news than some are giving credit as he is picking up the mental side of the game already.

Sometimes players like Dawson just don't have this part of the game and it doesn't matter how talented a player is if he doesn't.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 07:47 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Who are the most that had Wilson dropping to the 4th or 5th round? I saw not a single site that had Wilson dropping. I would love to see a link to this info.

Again these sites really don't matter. What matters is the assessment of actual NFL teams and the info coming out is that many teams had Sample valued just as highly as the Bengals did.

I didn't see him dropping that far, but he does have tackling issues.
He played on the "BAMA"

He was interviewed by some LB needy teams, and they all passed on him, so not sure what happened.

One thing to note, recent Bama LB's have had character issues and been getting in legal trouble, so maybe the ding on his character held him back.
Reply/Quote
Mack Wilson was a top 5 overall recruit in his class and viewed as a future star at bama. He didn't play extensively until he was a soph, and he never really set the world on fire. He was a good player on a great defense. Had issues tackling and also didn't show well in his drops.

I would have rather had him than Davis, and I think 4th round would be good value for a guy who has his talent, but I'm not losing sleep over the fact that we missed out on him.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
I was among those who had the “WTF” initial reaction to the Sample pick. Other than glossing over his name on prospect lists, I had no clue who he was. After learning more about him and that he brings a good blocking skill set and has some upside as a pass catcher, I not only understand the pick, I am on board with it.

For me the best part of it is that I can see a direction being taken. I see moves being made to improve the running game and Sample makes perfect sense in that pursuit. He’s not the flashy pick you might expect or want in the second round but I think it’s a refreshing change over flashy picks that don’t make sense.
Reply/Quote
Drew Sample, Cincinnati Bengals
Best Route: Hitch
This one was tough, as Sample was targeted only 35 times last season and made just 25 receptions. While his top route may be the hitch, his best skill is certainly his run blocking, but that isn’t why we’re here. Sample caught 28% of his total receptions on hitches and gained just 46 yards in the process. Still, he was able to separate at the top of his routes more often than not and if Andy Dalton could harness that as he has in the past, Sample could surprise with his receiving ability. Dalton completed 21-of-25 hitch routes last year for 178 yards and two scores.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-best-draft-class-wr-by-route-scheme-fit-with-new-nfl-team
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 11:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Drew Sample, Cincinnati Bengals
Best Route: Hitch
This one was tough, as Sample was targeted only 35 times last season and made just 25 receptions. While his top route may be the hitch, his best skill is certainly his run blocking, but that isn’t why we’re here. Sample caught 28% of his total receptions on hitches and gained just 46 yards in the process. Still, he was able to separate at the top of his routes more often than not and if Andy Dalton could harness that as he has in the past, Sample could surprise with his receiving ability. Dalton completed 21-of-25 hitch routes last year for 178 yards and two scores.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-best-draft-class-wr-by-route-scheme-fit-with-new-nfl-team

We will see how Sample and Dalton mesh.

Just so much Sample has to learn in the passing game. Great smart QB to help him out.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 11:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We will see how Sample and Dalton mesh.

Just so much Sample has to learn in the passing game. Great smart QB to help him out.

Not sure what you mean about "so much Sample has to learn in the passing game". Sample is a good receiver. He suffered from the TE not being a focal point of the Huskies game plan. However, if you go back and watch Huskies film you will see very quickly that Sample absolutely understands the passing game. Watching film of the Huskies will show you very quickly that not only does he understand the passing game but that he was the victim of a not very good QB. On way too many occasions Sample was a wide open target that never even received a look from Browning. What you will also see in film is a TE that understands what it means to help his QB out when a play breaks down. Sample consistently worked back to Browning or to a vacant part of the field when Browning was in trouble.

I think Sample is much more accomplished in the receiving game than many are giving him credit for.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 11:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We will see how Sample and Dalton mesh.

I feel like guys can learn routes and getting open much easier than teaching a 100% pass catching TE to block. So there's that.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2019, 01:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like guys can learn routes and getting open much easier than teaching a 100% pass catching TE to block. So there's that.

For sure. Remember Chase Coffman?

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2019, 09:29 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Not sure what you mean about "so much Sample has to learn in the passing game". Sample is a good receiver. He suffered from the TE not being a focal point of the Huskies game plan. However, if you go back and watch Huskies film you will see very quickly that Sample absolutely understands the passing game. Watching film of the Huskies will show you very quickly that not only does he understand the passing game but that he was the victim of a not very good QB. On way too many occasions Sample was a wide open target that never even received a look from Browning. What you will also see in film is a TE that understands what it means to help his QB out when a play breaks down. Sample consistently worked back to Browning or to a vacant part of the field when Browning was in trouble.

I think Sample is much more accomplished in the receiving game than many are giving him credit for.

Great points, doesn't matter how good you are as a Receiver if your QB just ignores you. Love how he just embraced blocking like a great teammate should do and when he did get targeted all he did was make the play. You definately could be correct and he makes a seamless transition to the NFL passing game with a QB who doesn't ignore the TE.

(05-27-2019, 01:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like guys can learn routes and getting open much easier than teaching a 100% pass catching TE to block. So there's that.

True that.

(05-27-2019, 09:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: For sure. Remember Chase Coffman?

Yes, honestly forgot his name but he broke records in college in the passing game and couldn't even see the field for us. He did make a few plays for the Falcons when he went there but overall was very disappointing in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Hobson wrote a glorious article about Sample.

https://www.bengals.com/news/sample-of-sample-as-advertised

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Sample Of Sample As Advertised <-- Hobsons finest!
Reply/Quote
I'd love to hear one day that we just draft guys with last names that Hobson can write clever titles about. I'd find a certain amount of satisfaction in that.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 07:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hobson wrote a glorious article about Sample.

https://www.bengals.com/news/sample-of-sample-as-advertised

Gosh, Hobson writes on-and-on. I could have summarized his thoughts like this: "Sample is adjusting well to the speed of the NFL and the game doesn't seem to large for him.  He is mature, and shows good film study habits.  He is the best blocking TE to come out this year in the draft and has displayed some soft hands."  

There.

LOL.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 08:18 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Gosh, Hobson writes on-and-on. I could have summarized his thoughts like this: "Sample is adjusting well to the speed of the NFL and the game doesn't seem to large for him.  He is mature, and shows good film study habits.  He is the best blocking TE to come out this year in the draft and has displayed some soft hands."  

There.

LOL.  

While speaking concisely is a fantastic ability to display, I'd say that your present career is safe from having you swooped up the Cincinnati Enquirer to fill that beat writer's position..   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
When we took Sample I looked up his stats and was confused. Way too high of a pick for a guy with barely any receiving ability, I thought. However, the more research you do on the guy, and if you watch the games, you can see he is pretty damn fluid and has good hands.

TE was a HUGE need for this team. Eifert is way too unreliable, but Dalton is a 2x better QB when he is around. We all witnessed the dropoff in offensive production once he went down.

I believe Dalton is a TE needy QB (who isn't), much like a Matt Schaub. Allz i'm saying is, Drew Sample could be the James Casey to Tyler Eifert's Owen Daniels, if you know what I mean!
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 08:20 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I need you to back your comment with data please. Oh please make that data from sources within the NFL circle and not talking heads that are not employed by NFL franchises. I bet you would have had no problem with us drafting Mack Wilson in the second would you have?

I would bet the Rams had him rated pretty high. Everyone thinks that the teams wait until a month or so before the draft to evaluate players and how they would effect their game plan but this is a on going thing during the season. Some teams may not have had him rated so high but you can bet that the west coast teams knew him well. Hopefully he ends up being a steal.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 08:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While speaking concisely is a fantastic ability to display, I'd say that your present career is safe from having you swooped up the Cincinnati Enquirer to fill that beat writer's position..   Ninja

are you saying journalists need to be long winded?  If so, Hobson should win the Pulitzer Prize.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote