Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample, Wesco or _______? Who's the next Vance McDonald?
So the Bengals drafted Drew Sample (6-4, 255 lbs) in the 2nd round.  Trevon Wesco (6-3, 267lbs) went to the Jets in the 4th round.  

I believe Vance McDonald (6-4, 267 lbs.) was drafted in the 2nd round by the 49ers and traded to Pittsburgh where he has been an overpowering receiver with the ball in his hand.

I do not know what kind of blocker McDonald is (my guess is, being a Steeler, he's a good one), but I was drooling over this guy last year.

So

Is Sample comparable to McDonald?  Can he be another McDonald?   Is Trevon Wesco comparable to the two of them?  

I heard Wesco had been a questionable receiver, but had stepped up his receiving game towards the end of his last season at W.VA, and killed it at his pro day.

So should we have taken Wesco in the 4th round?  Or do we feel like we got the better TE in the 2nd.  And will he be as good as McDonald?

Thoughts??
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Trevon Wesco is a fullback that can line up and block as a TE. He reminds me of that Steelers Fullback from a few years back Will Johnson (from WVU).

Drew Sample is a real in-line TE-Y. He has a chance to be someone like Jermaine Gresham or Heath Miller...Sample already has the inline blocking and blocking in space down. Now he will he will have work on his release off the line, his release in play action, sinking his hips as cuts in a route to create a little extra burst, and of course using that big frame to box out defenders.

One plus he has natural hands and decent body control.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 09:23 AM)3wt Wrote: So the Bengals drafted Drew Sample (6-4, 255 lbs) in the 2nd round.  Trevon Wesco (6-3, 267lbs) went to the Jets in the 4th round.  

I believe Vance McDonald (6-4, 267 lbs.) was drafted in the 2nd round by the 49ers and traded to Pittsburgh where he has been an overpowering receiver with the ball in his hand.

I do not know what kind of blocker McDonald is (my guess is, being a Steeler, he's a good one), but I was drooling over this guy last year.

So

Is Sample comparable to McDonald?  Can he be another McDonald?   Is Trevon Wesco comparable to the two of them?  

I heard Wesco had been a questionable receiver, but had stepped up his receiving game towards the end of his last season at W.VA, and killed it at his pro day.

So should we have taken Wesco in the 4th round?  Or do we feel like we got the better TE in the 2nd.  And will he be as good as McDonald?

Thoughts??

Hope not; McDonald isn't anything special at all; basically like Kroft, bit better blocker.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 10:41 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Hope not; McDonald isn't anything special at all; basically like Kroft, bit better blocker.

That was going to be my point. He occasionally runs someone over and people think he's good.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 10:11 AM)Synric Wrote: Trevon Wesco is a fullback that can line up and block as a TE. He reminds me of that Steelers Fullback from a few years back Will Johnson (from WVU).

Drew Sample is a real in-line TE-Y. He has a chance to be someone like Jermaine Gresham or Heath Miller...Sample already has the inline blocking and blocking in space down. Now he will he will have work on his release off the line, his release in play action, sinking his hips as cuts in a route to create a little extra burst, and of course using that big frame to box out defenders.

I had a thing for Wesco.  I really liked his ability to lead block like a fullback.  I heard his blitz pickups were really good as well.  I am intrigued to see how they use Sample.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 10:41 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Hope not; McDonald isn't anything special at all; basically like Kroft, bit better blocker.

He tore us up pretty good
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 11:16 AM)3wt Wrote: He tore us up pretty good

I don't believe so, IMO:

2018:
7 catches for 68 yards
3 catches for 39 yards

2017:
2 catches for 37 yards

2015 (with SF)
1 catch for 10 yards

So literally, in 4 games against us, he averages:

3.25 catches and 38.5 yards.

Not BAD per se, but nothing even close to tearing up.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 11:22 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I don't believe so, IMO:

2018:
7 catches for 68 yards
3 catches for 39 yards

2017:
2 catches for 37 yards

2015 (with SF)
1 catch for 10 yards

So literally, in 4 games against us, he averages:

3.25 catches and 38.5 yards.

Not BAD per se, but nothing even close to tearing up.

Always appreciate your stats and perspective Truck

I confess I like the violent way he plays.  He was running through and over our defensive backfield.   I like the psychological impact of that.  I am hoping that Sample can demonstrate a similar - and more complete profile.  I want us to be a bruising offense that wears defenses down physically and psychologically.

Can't wait to see Sample and Pratt in action.
Reply/Quote
I know in age of fantasy football most fans care about offensive stats. But, what id McDonald's PFF blocking ranking over his career?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 11:28 AM)3wt Wrote: Always appreciate your stats and perspective Truck

I confess I like the violent way he plays.  He was running through and over our defensive backfield.   I like the psychological impact of that.  I am hoping that Sample can demonstrate a similar - and more complete profile.  I want us to be a bruising offense that wears defenses down physically and psychologically.

Can't wait to see Sample and Pratt in action.

No problem, 3WT!

Even the run through, I remember that one play super clearly; he didn't do anything, we just didn't tackle properly.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 10:11 AM)Synric Wrote: Trevon Wesco is a fullback that can line up and block as a TE. He reminds me of that Steelers Fullback from a few years back Will Johnson (from WVU).

This is what i see, Wesco is more of an H-Back and doesn't have that Receiving TE in him that i can see in Sample if he is used correctly. Sample just needs to get off the line more quickly and learn to run crisp routes. Big weapon for Dalton in the middle of the field that will help out the O-line and the running game to boot. Heath Miller is the exact type of TE i compare Drew Sample to.
Reply/Quote
Vance McDonald may be a fair comparison, but McDonald isn't some great player. He's a solid well-rounded TE who put up 610 yards and 4 TDs last year but prior never had more than 391 yards and 4 TDs in a season. As Truck said, he's probably similar to Kroft as a receiver but a better blocker.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 09:23 AM)3wt Wrote: So the Bengals drafted Drew Sample (6-4, 255 lbs) in the 2nd round.  Trevon Wesco (6-3, 267lbs) went to the Jets in the 4th round.  

So

Thoughts??

maybe it will end up being Bills TE Jake Fisher  Hilarious

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

So

Thoughts??

Drew Sample reminds me more of Zac Ertz of the Eagles.

I don't think Sample will run the ball with the same Power as McDonald but that could be a good thing.

The way McDonald plays could start to catch up with him with injuries as he flat out bangs into people to run them over.

Sample is close in size to Zac Ertz with similar 40 times and Sample is likely the better blocker of the two, Ertz maybe the better pass catcher.

I would take Zac Ertz level production from Sample without the need to see Sample trying to run people over.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 02:50 PM)pally Wrote: maybe it will end up being Bills TE Jake Fisher  Hilarious

Don't even...

Though I have to say he had the best lead blocks of any of our big boy fullbacks
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 02:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is what i see, Wesco is more of an H-Back and doesn't have that Receiving TE in him that i can see in Sample if he is used correctly. Sample just needs to get off the line more quickly and learn to run crisp routes. Big weapon for Dalton in the middle of the field that will help out the O-line and the running game to boot. Heath Miller is the exact type of TE i compare Drew Sample to.

I predict sample either being an inline blocker (with a late release in case Dalton needs somewhere to go) or the FB for us...   (move him around a little bit)  lets us detach eifert from the OL and get him in space faster.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 04:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I predict sample either being an inline blocker (with a late release in case Dalton needs somewhere to go) or the FB for us...   (move him around a little bit)  lets us detach eifert from the OL and get him in space faster.

Yeah...he was a bad pick for a 2nd round pick if that's the case...BUT I agree with you that his role will be that.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 04:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I predict sample either being an inline blocker (with a late release in case Dalton needs somewhere to go) or the FB for us...   (move him around a little bit)  lets us detach eifert from the OL and get him in space faster.

Pretty sound thought, hopefully Eifert can stay healthy but if he doesn't i see a much bigger role for Sample.

He is better than Uzi.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 04:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...he was a bad pick for a 2nd round pick if that's the case...BUT I agree with you that his role will be that.

well year 1...  (we used Gresham as a FB year 1 too...)  

Sample can catch from what ive seen just wasn't use for that much in college offense.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 03:06 PM)depthchart Wrote: Drew Sample reminds me more of Zac Ertz of the Eagles.

I don't think Sample will run the ball with the same Power as McDonald but that could be a good thing.

The way McDonald plays could start to catch up with him with injuries as he flat out bangs into people to run them over.

Sample is close in size to Zac Ertz with similar 40 times and Sample is likely the better blocker of the two, Ertz maybe the better pass catcher.

I would take Zac Ertz level production from Sample without the need to see Sample trying to run people over.

Ertz maybe the better pass catcher? This the same Ertz who had over 1000 yards last season? I’d say he is undoubtedly better as a receiver in every facet than Sample is.

I am pretty excited about Drew, though. I think this team is trying to build an identity of physicality. I like the idea.
Reply/Quote