Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample, Wesco or _______? Who's the next Vance McDonald?
I'm probably in the minority as far as liking the Sample pick. I don't buy that it was a major reach. If the Bengals took him there, I'm sure they figured he'd be gone in the 3rd, so I'm sure the Bengals weren't alone in how they valued him.

I also like how we've put a premium on blocking and the run game.

The only problem I see is that we gave good money to Eifert and Uzomah...so where does Sample fit in? Does he only come in to run block? If so, we'd be telegraphing our plays AND limiting Sample's opportunity for growth as a receiver. If/when Eifert gets hurt, obviously he'd get more PT, but I hate relying on injury to see a guy play.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 09:28 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Ertz maybe the better pass catcher? This the same Ertz who had over 1000 yards last season? I’d say he is undoubtedly better as a receiver in every facet than Sample is.

I am pretty excited about Drew, though. I think this team is trying to build an identity of physicality. I like the idea.

The physicality is what excites me about what ZT is doing.  It's what I liked about McDonald and what I hope Sample brings.  Our players did not just miss tackles with McDonald he trucked them.  That's just got to demoralize a defense.  I realize there's more to be desired than that in a TE, but it's certainly one of the things I want from Sample.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 11:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm probably in the minority as far as liking the Sample pick. I don't buy that it was a major reach. If the Bengals took him there, I'm sure they figured he'd be gone in the 3rd, so I'm sure the Bengals weren't alone in how they valued him.

The only problem I see is that we gave good money to Eifert and Uzomah...so where does Sample fit in? Does he only come in to run block? If so, we'd be telegraphing our plays AND limiting Sample's opportunity for growth as a receiver. If/when Eifert gets hurt, obviously he'd get more PT, but I hate relying on injury to see a guy play.

I'm also really big on the Drew Sample pick. I wanted TJ Hockenson but Sample is maybe a little less refined but shows the same type of player. Everyone wanted to say how the Rams used 11 personnel most of the time but one of those was a TE-Y that was a Jack of all Trades and in the post season they started using two TE sets.

I'm really excited to see how Zac Taylor, Brian "Not Bill" Callahan, and Captian Lou Anarumo runs their offense and defense this upcoming season. 

Throw in Jonah Williams, Germaine Pratt, Rennell Wren,  Michael Jordan, Trayvon Williams, Rodney Anderson, and Jordan Brown. I thought they had an unflashy solid A grade draft.

Who Dey! It's a New Dey!
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 11:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm probably in the minority as far as liking the Sample pick. I don't buy that it was a major reach. If the Bengals took him there, I'm sure they figured he'd be gone in the 3rd, so I'm sure the Bengals weren't alone in how they valued him.

Eifert didn’t really get big money. It’s just a one-year contract. Gotta wonder if Eifert isn’t just a stopgap this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 09:23 AM)3wt Wrote: So the Bengals drafted Drew Sample (6-4, 255 lbs) in the 2nd round.  Trevon Wesco (6-3, 267lbs) went to the Jets in the 4th round.  

I believe Vance McDonald (6-4, 267 lbs.) was drafted in the 2nd round by the 49ers and traded to Pittsburgh where he has been an overpowering receiver with the ball in his hand.

I do not know what kind of blocker McDonald is (my guess is, being a Steeler, he's a good one), but I was drooling over this guy last year.

So

Is Sample comparable to McDonald?  Can he be another McDonald?   Is Trevon Wesco comparable to the two of them?  

I heard Wesco had been a questionable receiver, but had stepped up his receiving game towards the end of his last season at W.VA, and killed it at his pro day.

So should we have taken Wesco in the 4th round?  Or do we feel like we got the better TE in the 2nd.  And will he be as good as McDonald?

Thoughts??

I liked Wesco as an option if they didn't get sample.  I had this work out this way on the draft simulator a number of times.  

Wesco, like Sample, had limited opportunities to be a receiver in the WVU offense until his senior year and he showed he could be a solid pass-catcher.  Sample, however, is the much better receiver.  I think Sample had 25 receptions last year and NOT ONE DROP.  Most of his receptions came on 3rd down, and in the red zone.  That kind of reliability is outstanding.  He is also the hands-down best blocker in the draft.  Wesco had some highlight blocks where he blew a guy up downfield, but straight up in-line blocking is where Sample is the best.  

Sample was the 1st rated TE, in terms of blocking, by PFF coming out of the draft.  He simply is a very sound player.  That might not be as exciting to those panning the pick when they got him as he might not be flying down the seam for a 50 yard completion, but how many times did Eifert actually do that?  Sure, the threat was there, but what the Bengals need is reliable players that don't make mistakes that end drives.

I was thrilled to get Sample and love that they have seemingly stopped trying to make receiving TEs good blockers instead of getting a great blocking TE that can move the chains.  It gives them many more options when he is in, and makes the offense less predictable.  

When Eifert was healthy, this offense was just...different.  It was better.  Defenses had to adjust when he was out there.  I hope and pray he can contribute and be healthy all year, but Sample will help this offense be much better and more consistent running the ball and moving the chains game after game.  

If I had to wager on what draft pick would have the greatest impact on this team this year, my money would be on Sample.  

Oh, and since you have already figured out how much I like the player, his coaches and teammates also rave about him as a teammate and person.  
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 02:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is what i see, Wesco is more of an H-Back and doesn't have that Receiving TE in him that i can see in Sample if he is used correctly. Sample just needs to get off the line more quickly and learn to run crisp routes. Big weapon for Dalton in the middle of the field that will help out the O-line and the running game to boot. Heath Miller is the exact type of TE i compare Drew Sample to.

I agree with this 100%.

Sample is not an in-line or a move TE. He is, in my opinion, the second best TE in this class, who can do both. Hock went in top-10.

He runs shallow crosses really well and has the speed to run the seam.

What he needs to develop is the suddenness in cutting 45 and 90 degree routes. That comes with coaching.

Given Taylor's expertise with receivers, I feel that Sample will be a devastating option for Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2019, 09:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I liked Wesco as an option if they didn't get sample.  I had this work out this way on the draft simulator a number of times.  

Wesco, like Sample, had limited opportunities to be a receiver in the WVU offense until his senior year and he showed he could be a solid pass-catcher.  Sample, however, is the much better receiver.  I think Sample had 25 receptions last year and NOT ONE DROP.  Most of his receptions came on 3rd down, and in the red zone.  That kind of reliability is outstanding.  He is also the hands-down best blocker in the draft.  Wesco had some highlight blocks where he blew a guy up downfield, but straight up in-line blocking is where Sample is the best.  

Sample was the 1st rated TE, in terms of blocking, by PFF coming out of the draft.  He simply is a very sound player.  That might not be as exciting to those panning the pick when they got him as he might not be flying down the seam for a 50 yard completion, but how many times did Eifert actually do that?  Sure, the threat was there, but what the Bengals need is reliable players that don't make mistakes that end drives.

Agreed.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2019, 09:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I liked Wesco as an option if they didn't get sample.  I had this work out this way on the draft simulator a number of times.  

I was thrilled to get Sample and love that they have seemingly stopped trying to make receiving TEs good blockers instead of getting a great blocking TE that can move the chains.  It gives them many more options when he is in, and makes the offense less predictable.  

When Eifert was healthy, this offense was just...different.  It was better.  Defenses had to adjust when he was out there.  I hope and pray he can contribute and be healthy all year, but Sample will help this offense be much better and more consistent running the ball and moving the chains game after game.  

If I had to wager on what draft pick would have the greatest impact on this team this year, my money would be on Sample.  

Oh, and since you have already figured out how much I like the player, his coaches and teammates also rave about him as a teammate and person.  

I think you had us taking Sample in atleast one of your Mock Drafts Racer, good call and great points cause i agree with you on the team taking pass catching TE's and trying to make them blockers. Rarely does this work out, as we all know. Sample is a great blocker with great hands as you say. Sound player and standup individual, liking this Draft more and more and i voted it an A+ Draft immediately after.

(05-11-2019, 11:06 AM)XsandOs Wrote: I agree with this 100%.

Sample is not an in-line or a move TE. He is, in my opinion, the second best TE in this class, who can do both. Hock went in top-10.

He runs shallow crosses really well and has the speed to run the seam.

What he needs to develop is the suddenness in cutting 45 and 90 degree routes. That comes with coaching.

Given Taylor's expertise with receivers, I feel that Sample will be a devastating option for Dalton.

Feel the same, there were people that were crying about not taking Irv Smith and i was like, what? Dude is small and not a good blocker at all, Noah Fant is another that is a good pass catcher but cannot block. Hochenson honestly was the only more complete TE than Sample in this Draft cause he is amazing in both aspects. Sample as you say can be coached up in running more crisp routes, he already has blocking down and has great hands.
Reply/Quote
[quote='Nate (formerly eliminate08)' pid='716784' dateline='1557586190
Feel the same, there were people that were crying about not taking Irv Smith and i was like, what? Dude is small and not a good blocker at all, Noah Fant is another that is a good pass catcher but cannot block. Hochenson honestly was the only more complete TE than Sample in this Draft cause he is amazing in both aspects. Sample as you say can be coached up in running more crisp routes, he already has blocking down and has great hands.
[/quote]

I feel he shores up our OT problem as well. I know it's a given, due to his blocking skills, but this guy can really help us.

If Jonah Williams is moved to RG and you line up Sample next to whomever at RT, with Price at C, our OL issues are solved.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2019, 09:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Eifert didn’t really get big money. It’s just a one-year contract. Gotta wonder if Eifert isn’t just a stopgap this year.

$4 million isn't insignificant, and lets be honest. If Tyler Eifert can suit up, he's not going to ride pine all game.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote