Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample graded as worst run blocker among rookie TE's
(10-22-2019, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: EVERY TEAM in the league has draft picks that flop.

But Jerome Simpson was not a bust.  He had more career receptions (150) than 2 of the 5 WRs drafted before him and 5 of the 9 other WRs taken in the second round with him.  He was actually a decent pick from that WR class.

Evidenced by his recent nomination to the pro football HOF..  Yep, he'll undoubtedly find a yellow blazer on sale at Walmart someday. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We have a history of having bad TEs.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 09:34 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: We have a history of having bad TEs.

We’ve had a couple pretty good ones in a row with Gresham and Eifert.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 09:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’ve had a couple pretty good ones in a row with Gresham and Eifert.

Can we consider those guys pretty good?

Gresham seemed to regress every year to the point where he could barely catch his last year here.

I hear Eifert is good on the board...but his stats don't bear it out as he missed so many games. In 7 years he has 1834 combined receiving yards.

He's had above 445 yards exactly ONCE in 7 years. Not pretty good stats.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 09:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Can we consider those guys pretty good?

Gresham seemed to regress every year to the point where he could barely catch his last year here.

I hear Eifert is good on the board...but his stats don't bear it out as he missed so many games. In 7 years he has 1834 combined receiving yards.

He's had above 445 yards exactly ONCE in 7 years. Not pretty good stats.

Injuries have obviously been Eifert’s problem. When healthy, yes, he was pretty good. Any TE that catches 13 TD in a season was at least good at one point in my book.

Gresham was a productive TE for us. 280 rec 2722 yds 24 TD in 5 seasons.

Reply/Quote
The big issue is that the Bengals are missing badly on their first round offensive lineman. I always thought these were the safer guys to pick but after Ced O and Price I stand corrected. I am in shock at how bad Price looks when I watch him. I can’t see him ever becoming an above average player.
If Jonah ends up being a bust then it will set this team back even further. They made some very questionable picks in this draft but it’s Williams that will make or break it.

I really hope he can get Out on the field this year so that he has some actual game experience going into next season.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 10:17 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: The big issue is that the Bengals are missing badly on their first round offensive lineman. I always thought these were the safer guys to pick but after Ced O and Price I stand corrected. I am in shock at how bad Price looks when I watch him. I can’t see him ever becoming an above average player.
If Jonah ends up being a bust then it will set this team back even further. They made some very questionable picks in this draft but it’s Williams that will make or break it.

I really hope he can get Out on the field this year so that he has some actual game experience going into next season.

We know they settled for Price. I don’t believe for a second they take him had Ragnow been there.

Jonah, apparently was their guy all along. Let’s hope they got it right...

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 10:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We know they settled for Price. I don’t believe for a second they take him had Ragnow been there.

Jonah, apparently was their guy all along. Let’s hope they got it right...

re: Price - They seem to like Ohio State guys. When you don't have a lot of scouts, OSU is close and a successful program.

But man does Price struggle and Elflein is going through similar troubles for the Vikings.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 10:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Jonah, apparently was their guy all along. Let’s hope they got it right...

As poorly as the Bengals have drafted recently it would still shock me if Jonah was a bust.  Pretty much everyone had him rated as the #1 O-lineman in the draft.

But anything is possible.  He could have serious injury issues that derail his career.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 01:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As poorly as the Bengals have drafted recently it would still shock me if Jonah was a bust.  Pretty much everyone had him rated as the #1 O-lineman in the draft.

But anything is possible.  He could have serious injury issues that derail his career.

I agree. I think he'll be average at minimum.

Of course, there have been Can't Miss Tackles like Robert Gallery that ended up as busts.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 01:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Of course, there have been Can't Miss Tackles like Robert Gallery that ended up as busts.

Yep, and even the best teams have high picks that flop sometime.  The draft is a bigger crap shoot than most people think.  

On average the better teams hit on more picks than the bad teams, but every year there are guys taken in the later rounds that become stars and first round picks that are busts.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 01:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yep, and even the best teams have high picks that flop sometime.  The draft is a bigger crap shoot than most people think.  

On average the better teams hit on more picks than the bad teams, but every year there are guys taken in the later rounds that become stars and first round picks that are busts.

The interesting thing is that the Bengals seem to view free agent signings as risky...which they can be...but looking at percentages, draft picks probably fail more. It's just that draft picks are also cheaper.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 01:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As poorly as the Bengals have drafted recently it would still shock me if Jonah was a bust.  Pretty much everyone had him rated as the #1 O-lineman in the draft.

I realize it's just dumb bad luck, but what bums me out about him is that he's already on the path of being a 2-3 year "technically a rookie."  Next year he's a rookie and by year 3 he's probably going to have yet another o-line coach and so on and so forth.   
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 02:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I realize it's just dumb bad luck, but what bums me out about him is that he's already on the path of being a 2-3 year "technically a rookie."  Next year he's a rookie and by year 3 he's probably going to have yet another o-line coach and so on and so forth.   

Yep. Atleast some chance he's injury prone too.
Reply/Quote