Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample graded as worst run blocker among rookie TE's
I’m blaming Turner for this. He wanted Hart, probably wanted Sample and he’s coaching both to being the worst in the league at their positions.

As bad as ZT has been at calling plays, hiring Turner is easily the biggest mistake he’s made as HC.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 05:51 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’m blaming Turner for this. He wanted Hart, probably wanted Sample and he’s coaching both to being the worst in the league at their positions.

As bad as ZT has been at calling plays, hiring Turner is easily the biggest mistake he’s made as HC.

Dammit.  I knew we should have hired that O-line coach who got so much great production last year from John Jerry, Andre Smith, Michael Jordan, Trey Hopkins, Billy Price, John Miller, and Bobby Hart.

Who was that guy again?
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 05:34 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: My issue is you don't take a blocking TE with a second round pick. It rates up there with taking a fullback in the 2nd. Basically the same thing on the line. You only use a 2nd round pick for a specialized player if its a pass rusher. We used a 2nd on a small lineman.

This team had more pressing issues than a run blocking TE 
In the 2nd RD. The roster already had Uzomah...Eifert...Carter 
Run blocking TEs can be found in 6th 7th RD.
If you are drafting a TE in RD 2 he better be able to be a threat
Catching the ball.
Sample showed none of that at Washington. If anything he's closer to being a FB than TE.
He's way too slow to be a 2nd 3rd level target 
But the Bengals brilliant 3 headed monster of Tobin Taylor and Troy wanted to prove to the NFL they are so cunning and 
Smart. LET'S TAKE A RUN BLOCKING TE IN A LEAGUE WHERE TEs are valued now on their ability to catch 60 to 90 passes 
A year!!!
I swear this team is behind the times in regards to TE and LB.
Sample is a bust. The eye test proves it. 
I could name 4 to 5 available players when Sample was drafted  that this franchise had a bigger need for 
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 06:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dammit.  I knew we should have hired that O-line coach who got so much great production last year from John Jerry, Andre Smith, Michael Jordan, Trey Hopkins, Billy Price, John Miller, and Bobby Hart.

Who was that guy again?

Jerry = Turner’s guy
Jordan = Turner’s guy
Miller = Turner’s guy
Hart = Turner’s guy

All those guys are on the team with Turner’s approval. So, he either can’t pick talent or can’t coach.
Reply/Quote
Haha.

This coaching staff sucks.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 07:04 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Jerry = Turner’s guy
Jordan = Turner’s guy
Miller = Turner’s guy
Hart = Turner’s guy

All those guys are on the team with Turner’s approval. So, he either can’t pick talent or can’t coach.

So you actually think Turner was given better options but refused them?

Hilarious LMAO

That is precious. 

Mike Brown:  "I think I'll go out and spend $80 million on a couple of top rated Offensive linemen because that is always what I do in free agency.  But first I better check with the position coach."

Turner:  "No thanks Mr. Brown.  I'd rather have a few scrubs to work with."
Reply/Quote
God we suck. This is comical to come on here and read the comments. This team is just terrible. Poor ownership. Disfunction in the fan base. Complete disorder. Just like the offensive line.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bengals always pick guys based on some idea that they know things other teams do not. It they know less than other teams
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 05:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Goodberry and/or PFF are full of shit.

There are 10 drafted TEs who have fewer targets and receptions than Sample.

And anyone judging any player to be a bust after just 7 games is completely clueless.  He has only played 93 snaps.

Some people just hated the pick when it hapened so they still hate it today.

2nd round picks need to become starters rather quickly to rate being taken in the 2nd round. Mixon is an example, so is Boyd (who had 600 yards as a rookie), Bates, etc.

We sure could have used some OL help with that pick. Guard or tackle doesn't matter, both in desperate need.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:04 PM)BengalChris Wrote: 2nd round picks need to become starters rather quickly to rate being taken in the 2nd round. Mixon is an example, so is Boyd (who had 600 yards as a rookie), Bates, etc.

We sure could have used some OL help with that pick. Guard or tackle doesn't matter, both in desperate need.

Or LB. Our starting 2 are possibly the worst in the league. Would have rather doubled down there with the Pratt pick, than a blocking TE that can’t block.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 07:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you actually think Turner was given better options but refused them?

Hilarious LMAO

That is precious. 

Mike Brown:  "I think I'll go out and spend $80 million on a couple of top rated Offensive linemen because that is always what I do in free agency.  But first I better check with the position coach."

Turner:  "No thanks Mr. Brown.  I'd rather have a few scrubs to work with."

It's sad that the best argument defending the coaching staff is that the Bengals front office is terrible. Doesn't bode well for the future.

I do think there was a narrative that a new staff could coach up guys like Price and Hart into competent starts. In fact, they pretty much came out and said it with Hart that he was young and should improve.

That stuff hasn't came to pass.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 08:56 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Bengals always pick guys based on some idea that they know things other teams do not. It they know less than other teams

Sean Brewer, John Ross, Sample, Jerome Simpson are some that come to mind.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:04 PM)BengalChris Wrote: 2nd round picks need to become starters rather quickly to rate being taken in the 2nd round. Mixon is an example, so is Boyd (who had 600 yards as a rookie), Bates, etc.

Especially when you don't heavily use free agency to upgrade.

Even a guy like DK Metcalf in the 2nd would have been great. As things stand, we still need a starting TE.
Reply/Quote
You're saying a Rookie blocking TE one of the hardest positions to transition to the NFL is struggling in a struggling offense ?!? It cant be... Ninja
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: “Then we took Sample and the whole league  laughed”

There is no defending that pick. Between his 1st draft, and his play calling I’m already thinking about who I want to replace Taylor.

Marvin gave me the impression he was better at evaluating talent. But who knows as most of the behind the scenes work in the FO is unknown. But coaches are expected to be part of the draft. 

I get the impression that the list they had, was nullified by the squeelers when they took D. Bush and they didn't have a good back up plan. Probably confident Bush would land on the lap.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:18 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Marvin gave me the impression he was better at evaluating talent. But who knows as most of the behind the scenes work in the FO is unknown. But coaches are expected to be part of the draft. 

I get the impression that the list they had, was nullified by the squeelers when they took D. Bush and they didn't have a good back up plan. Probably confident Bush would land on the lap.

That's possible. For the Steelers to trade in front of us, they thought we were taking Bush.

An OT in Jonah is a nice pick though.

It's really hard to tell who we would have taken. The Bengals likely thought Bush would be there and Jonah wouldn't.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Or LB. Our starting 2 are possibly the worst in the league. Would have rather doubled down there with the Pratt pick, than a blocking TE that can’t block.

I think the next LB off the board was Pratt so I'm not sure that would have helped.

They should have made the trade up for O-line in the second but they wanted extra picks for a back-up QB instead (and then ended up finding one they liked as a UDFA and so are wasting an extra roster spot on the position). Sample wasn't great value by a long stretch but at least he's got on the field this year and the 4th round is where we should have gone on doubling up on linebackers if we weren't going to address it in free agency. I was keen on Cashman, Burr-Kiven and Wilson at that spot.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 10:28 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I think the next LB off the board was Pratt so I'm not sure that would have helped.

They should have made the trade up for O-line in the second but they wanted extra picks for a back-up QB instead (and then ended up finding one they liked as a UDFA and so are wasting an extra roster spot on the position). Sample wasn't great value by a long stretch but at least he's got on the field this year and the 4th round is where we should have gone on doubling up on linebackers if we weren't going to address it in free agency. I was keen on Cashman, Burr-Kiven and Wilson at that spot.

Max Sharping an OT went 3 picks after Sample.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 11:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Max Sharping an OT went 3 picks after Sample.

I'd have taken Scharping if we couldn't have traded up but Jawaan Taylor is who I wanted. He went to Jags on Oakland's pick. We'd have picked ahead of Oakland but for beating them in an otherwise meaningless Week 15 game last year...
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's sad that the best argument defending the coaching staff is that the Bengals front office is terrible. Doesn't bode well for the future.

I do think there was a narrative that a new staff could coach up guys like Price and Hart into competent starts. In fact, they pretty much came out and said it with Hart that he was young and should improve.

That stuff hasn't came to pass.

You have admitted that Trey Hopkins has improved.

I was against the Turner hire, but I just don't think you can fire the guy because he did not have magic powder to turn shit into gold.

I didn't see you ripping the Cardinals for releasing Andre Smith instead of firing their o-line coach last year.
Reply/Quote