Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample graded as worst run blocker among rookie TE's
Here is a question for everyone.

Why is it that when a guy the "experts" had graded as a second round pick drops to the fourth round most people say the experts were wrong and the 32 NFL teams were right, but when a guy is drafted in the 2nd round that all the "experts" had rated as a 4th rounder then the "experts" are considered correct and the NFL team is wrong?
Reply/Quote
What exactly is James Casey doing with the TEs? Did Casey have productive TEs (blocking or receiving) at Houston to justify his hiring?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The whole team is a train wreck right now, to point out his run blocking is horrible is forgetting they work in unison and the run blocking as a whole is trash.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Sean Brewer, John Ross, Sample, Jerome Simpson are some that come to mind.

EVERY TEAM in the league has draft picks that flop.

But Jerome Simpson was not a bust.  He had more career receptions (150) than 2 of the 5 WRs drafted before him and 5 of the 9 other WRs taken in the second round with him.  He was actually a decent pick from that WR class.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 12:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: The whole team is a train wreck right now, to point out his run blocking is horrible is forgetting they work in unison and the run blocking as a whole is trash.

Train wreck top down. Owner is useless, dream team executives are useless, not enough scouts, dont use the cap well, never fill gaps with good free agents, weak coaches.

Right now the Falcons are a train wreck as well but we all know damn well the owner will clean house by the end of season.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: EVERY TEAM in the league has draft picks that flop.

But Jerome Simpson was not a bust.  He had more career receptions (150) than 2 of the 5 WRs drafted before him and 5 of the 9 other WRs taken in the second round with him.  He was actually a decent pick from that WR class.

I think what you are trying to say is that his flip means he can't be flop.
Reply/Quote
Sample has contributed negative 0 this year
That alone makes him a bust
He's getting stood up .....pushed back
He can't even win 1 on 1 blocking battles with lesser
Guys he has to block
He's the Jordan Willis of the offense
Creme puff to the fullest definition
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I can't make this stuff up:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hilarious! Sounds about right.
Reply/Quote
If we were hedging our bets against Eifert's health. Take the top rated LBer w/ the 2nd pick and trade for Kyle Rudolph. His time is coming to an end in Minnesota and he wants to play for the Bengals before he retires...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 05:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Goodberry and/or PFF are full of shit.

There are 10 drafted TEs who have fewer targets and receptions than Sample.

And anyone judging any player to be a bust after just 7 games is completely clueless. He has only played 93 snaps.

Some people just hated the pick when it happened so they still hate it today.

I dont think anyone’s calling him a bust. How can he be a bust when everyone projected him 4th-5th roundish. But you answered why people are furious in your post. Its the lack of playing time.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 05:02 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: This is the kind of comedy that you can't write. It just has to happen.

I still laugh thinking about some of the homer takes in that draft thread.

This is one of the most baffling and flat out awful picks the Bungles have ever made. And that really is saying something.

Agreed I got shit on for bashing sample and taking two useless running backs.
Reply/Quote
You can hate the selection, but it’s not fair to hate the player (yet). OL and LB value at our original 2nd round pick we’re not good - but there were good players (Greedy, Irv Smith) that we should have picked. I still don’t understand the rational to draft Renell Wren when Mack Wilson was still available.This was a bad draft for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: EVERY TEAM in the league has draft picks that flop.

Gotta love someone rationalizing how a 2nd round WR only having 1 catch in his first two years and being a healthy scratch for the majority of his first three years is not a bust just because other WRs in that draft were busts too.

Bengals had a choice of Jerome Simpson or DeSean Jackson (who went 3 picks after Simpson) and like almost always, they chose wrong. Simpson was a bust. If he were a 5th or 6th round WR, sure. But a 2nd? Bust.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:24 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: That is not good news. I am quite baffled as to why TE are not used more often.

That’s Andy not than Zac

Andy was allergic to tight ends Before Zan Taylor
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 10:27 AM)Housh Wrote: That’s Andy not than Zac

Andy was allergic to tight ends Before Zan Taylor

Not like this. Eifert was his absolute favorite target in the RZ in 2015, and Uzo at least got the ball from time to time the last couple years.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 04:24 AM)willieFANderson Wrote: You can hate the selection, but it’s not fair to hate the player (yet). OL and LB value at our original 2nd round pick we’re not good - but there were good players (Greedy, Irv Smith) that we should have picked. I still don’t understand the rational to draft Renell Wren when Mack Wilson was still available.This was a bad draft for the Bengals.

I’m not sure what draft pick was worst TE Sample or DT Wren. How is Tobin not fired yet. Amazing.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 12:31 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I’m not sure what draft pick was worst TE Sample or DT Wren. How is Tobin not fired yet. Amazing.

Probably because they were Zac Taylor’s picks...

At least Sample, anyway.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 07:14 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Gotta love someone rationalizing how a 2nd round WR only having 1 catch in his first two years and being a healthy scratch for the majority of his first three years is not a bust just because other WRs in that draft were busts too.

Typical Bengal banger.  Act like the Bengals are worse at drafting than other teams even though they got a better WR in the second round than multiple teams taking WRs ahead of them in the first round.

(10-23-2019, 07:14 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals had a choice of Jerome Simpson or DeSean Jackson (who went 3 picks after Simpson) and like almost always, they chose wrong. Simpson was a bust. If he were a 5th or 6th round WR, sure. But a 2nd? Bust.

EVERY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE passed on DeSean Jackson.  Multiple team took other WRs while he was still on the board.  MOst people here did not want Jackson because he was too small.  They only fell in love with him with the benefir of 20/20 hindsight.

BTW the exact same Eagles who took Jackson selected WR Freddie Mitchell (60 fewer career receptions that Jerome Simpson) in the first round of the '01 draft when Chad Johnson was available.  But, of course, you have to act like that never happened to promote the narrative that the Bengals "always" chose wrong while other teams never do.
Reply/Quote
You guys make it sound like the Bengals eenie meeny miney moe approach isn't working or something. 
They end each draft with: My mother told me to pick the very best one and you are not it!
How can you go wrong with this approach?    
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 12:31 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I’m not sure what draft pick was worst TE Sample or DT Wren.  How is Tobin not fired yet.   Amazing.

Hey! Tobin was the mastermind of...uhmm.. Something.. Anyone remember his mastermind Vulcan mind meld trick I seem to have forgotten?  Oh yeah.. he convinced Mikey what a draft savant he was..  I think they keep him because his name is easy to spell. And you just can't miss with a guy called Duke.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote