Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Fran's reparations propsal
So if this goes through, and this once iconic city of the U.S. implodes in itself in debt, then just it let rot away as the rest of California and the country not give them a dime. IF any form of reparations is done, it should be done in the line of thinking coming from the NAACP chapter there (to a fiscal point tho). But this kind of proposal is absolutely insane to even consider happening, but it is San Fran after all, so it does make sense.

"San Francisco city leadership has already unanimously voted to accept a draft plan for reparations.

Under that plan, Black residents of the city would receive a one-time payment of $5 million, complete and full forgiveness of their personal debt, an annual income of $97,000 and the ability to buy a home within San Francisco city limits for just $1.

Estimates claim the reparations plan will cost San Francisco more than $100 billion.

The plan has been stirring controversy since its inception. Even the San Francisco chapter of the NAACP rejected the proposal, arguing reparations should be made in the form of investments and opportunities, not cash payments.

We strongly believe that creating and funding programs that can improve the lives of those who have been impacted by racism and discrimination is the best path forward toward equality and justice," San Francisco NAACP President Amos Brown said in a statement."

https://local12.com/news/nation-world/san-francisco-supervisor-asks-for-50-million-to-establish-reparations-office-shamann-walton-black-african-american-money-payment-california#
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
5 millions dollars ?? That's much.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 12:49 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: 5 millions dollars ?? That's much.

How do they plan to fund all this?
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 12:49 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: 5 millions dollars ?? That's much.

It is in most places. The reason they are allowing them to purchase homes for $1 though is because they still wouldn't be able to afford housing with that money in San Francisco. Ninja
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 12:53 PM)Stewy Wrote: How do they plan to fund all this?

There is no way they could. Their annual budget is between $6 and $7 billion yearly. If the cost estimates are correct, it would take over 30 years to make it happen with stepped increases in general fund revenue, and that is assuming no financial hits to their tax revenue that would cause setbacks like we have seen with COVID or recessions. It's just a bad plan.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Just say that they will be arrested this coming Tuesday. Seems like a good grift. 

In all seriousness, this is lunacy. 
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 12:34 PM)Millhouse Wrote: So if this goes through, and this once iconic city of the U.S. implodes in itself in debt, then just it let rot away as the rest of California and the country not give them a dime. IF any form of reparations is done, it should be done in the line of thinking coming from the NAACP chapter there (to a fiscal point tho). But this kind of proposal is absolutely insane to even consider happening, but it is San Fran after all, so it does make sense.

"San Francisco city leadership has already unanimously voted to accept a draft plan for reparations.

Under that plan, Black residents of the city would receive a one-time payment of $5 million, complete and full forgiveness of their personal debt, an annual income of $97,000 and the ability to buy a home within San Francisco city limits for just $1.

Estimates claim the reparations plan will cost San Francisco more than $100 billion.

The plan has been stirring controversy since its inception. Even the San Francisco chapter of the NAACP rejected the proposal, arguing reparations should be made in the form of investments and opportunities, not cash payments.

We strongly believe that creating and funding programs that can improve the lives of those who have been impacted by racism and discrimination is the best path forward toward equality and justice," San Francisco NAACP President Amos Brown said in a statement."

https://local12.com/news/nation-world/san-francisco-supervisor-asks-for-50-million-to-establish-reparations-office-shamann-walton-black-african-american-money-payment-california#

This is the NAACP plan. Much more reasonable and likely to be effective.
https://thenationaldesk.com/news/americas-news-now/naacp-rejects-reparations-proposal-that-would-give-5-million-cash-payments-to-descendants-of-slavery-san-francisco-naacp-president-amos-brown#
[Image: FrOiimWakAAh8WI?format=png&name=900x900]
Reply/Quote
And people wonder why there's a war on "wokeness"
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote

Make the rich pay their fair share? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 01:32 PM)basballguy Wrote: And people wonder why there's a war on "wokeness"

Reparations for slavery within the borders of the USA have been a political issue for over 200 years.  Using a term that has come to prominence in the past few years and has been thrown at everything from the collapse of financial intuitions to the cgi footwear of an M&M just seems odd to me.

With that being said, you may have hit upon the right concept for the wrong reason, since SF and the left may be using their own spin on yet another culture war in order to distract people from systematic failure that the powers that be can't or won't fix. 
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 01:32 PM)basballguy Wrote: And people wonder why there's a war on "wokeness"

Nobody really wonders why. We all know it's because it's the latest boogeyman created by right-wingers to fuel a culture war. This isn't wokeness, just idiocy.

Reply/Quote
One of my issues with a plan like this, is why for people today? What about those not yet born? You know, lets say 50 years from now, why shouldn't they get reparations at that time, sort of thing?

Regardless, I will be always against this line of thinking. I didn't have ancestors that had slaves. And many of whom were very poor themselves being looked down upon from others. As a matter of fact, I had 3 ancesters that fought in the Union armies during the Civil War, not that really matters. Because even if I did have ancestors that owned slaves or fought for the South, I should never be in no way responsible for something no matter how horrendous it was over 158 years ago.

Because afterall if we as a people start going down that route on making current generations literally pay for past atrocities like slavery in the New World, the biggest finger should be pointed at those European countries that brought the slaves over here in the first place.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 01:52 PM)Millhouse Wrote: One of my issues with a plan like this, is why for people today? What about those not yet born? You know, lets say 50 years from now, why shouldn't they get reparations at that time, sort of thing?

Regardless, I will be always against this line of thinking. I didn't have ancestors that had slaves. And many of whom were very poor themselves being looked down upon from others. As a matter of fact, I had 3 ancesters that fought in the Union armies during the Civil War, not that really matters. Because even if I did have ancestors that owned slaves or fought for the South, I should never be in no way responsible for something no matter how horrendous it was over 158 years ago.  

Because afterall if we as a people start going down that route on making current generations literally pay for past atrocities like slavery in the New World, the biggest finger should be pointed at those European countries that brought the slaves over here in the first place.

I often think of which sides people's ancestors probably fought on when I see a confederate flag here in rural PA.  Our culture has an inability to stop obsessing over the civil war on both sides of the coin.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 01:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Nobody really wonders why. We all know it's because it's the latest boogeyman created by right-wingers to fuel a culture war. This isn't wokeness, just idiocy.

Yep, this is as stupid as basing a political program on bathrooms.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 01:52 PM)Millhouse Wrote: One of my issues with a plan like this, is why for people today? What about those not yet born? You know, lets say 50 years from now, why shouldn't they get reparations at that time, sort of thing?

right?

It's not like our last names are Vanderbilt or Rockafeller.  As far as I know, my family line has been dirt poor for centuries.    

Why should taxpayers fund the reparations?

Besides, was slavery ever a thing in California?  (I honestly don't know)

I think the NAACP has it right here....individual payments should not be made.  
Reply/Quote

My ancestors in this country were exclusively in non-slave states and/or they were Anabaptists, groups notoriously abolitionist in their viewpoints. I have done enough genealogical research to be confident in this. However, I know that even with that my ancestors leading up to and including myself have benefitted from the systemic oppression that has existed in this country towards people of color, specifically those of Africa descent.

All of that being said, there are much better ways to make up for the damage done to the generations of descendants of slaves that have been prevented from generating the generational wealth due to policies enacted to keep them in a vulnerable position.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 01:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Reparations for slavery within the borders of the USA have been a political issue for over 200 years.  Using a term that has come to prominence in the past few years and has been thrown at everything from the collapse of financial intuitions to the cgi footwear of an M&M just seems odd to me.

With that being said, you may have hit upon the right concept for the wrong reason, since SF and the left may be using their own spin on yet another culture war in order to distract people from systematic failure that the powers that be can't or won't fix. 

Could you imagine is Johnson had just honored the "40 acres and a mule" thing? We wouldn't even be bothering to talk about all of this, probably.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 02:14 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Yep, this is as stupid as basing a political program on bathrooms.

Again,

Nobody is doing this.  No matter how many times you say it, it won't be true.  
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 02:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My ancestors in this country were exclusively in non-slave states and/or they were Anabaptists, groups notoriously abolitionist in their viewpoints. I have done enough genealogical research to be confident in this. However, I know that even with that my ancestors leading up to and including myself have benefitted from the systemic oppression that has existed in this country towards people of color, specifically those of Africa descent.

All of that being said, there are much better ways to make up for the damage done to the generations of descendants of slaves that have been prevented from generating the generational wealth due to policies enacted to keep them in a vulnerable position.

My ancestors didn't even come here until the 1910's where they were regarded with the same "well, here come the non-assimilating rapists" rhetoric we now  hear thrown at Mexico while people like me are lumped in with the outraged whites.  Now that's progress.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 02:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Could you imagine is Johnson had just honored the "40 acres and a mule" thing? We wouldn't even be bothering to talk about all of this, probably.

I guess we all have our hangups related to ancestry to which we have absolutely no tangible ties after centuries of distance.  I say this as someone who almost threw something when Italy went down 0-2 against England in a Euro Cup qualifier yesterday.  We all have our roots, I suppose. 
Reply/Quote