Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Fran's reparations propsal
I wonder if Rachel Dolezal is available as a life coach? I might have to give her style a try.
Reply/Quote
I’m all for reparations for anyone who was an actual slave.

If you have been free your whole life living in the land of opportunity. Kindly STFU or even better if you have such a problem living like the rest of us in this country then leave. You are 100% free to do so.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 04:34 PM)basballguy Wrote: look, there's a difference from it being an issue the party cares about and it being the center of a platform/agenda.  

There is not a single politician in this world that is centering their campaign around this issue.  

I"m not disputing they're pushing this issue...but when y'all continue to say it's the center of their campaigns then it's a straight lie.  

Republican party had no platform at all last presidential election.. Of course it wasn't the center of their platform. They didn't have a platform unless it was IT'S ALL RIGGED!  That's not a platform either..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 03:35 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’m all for reparations for anyone who was an actual slave.

If you have been free your whole life living in the land of opportunity. Kindly STFU or even better if you have such a problem living like the rest of us in this country then leave. You are 100% free to do so.

Confirmed here first...Britney Spears will get reparations under NATI's plan.  :)

-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
The only group of people that need Reparations are the Haitians who had to pay France Reparations in order for peace.
That is Returned Reparations because Haiti had to pay France what in today's numbers is about 30 Billion dollars.

https://reparationscomm.org/reparations-news/when-france-extorted-haiti-the-greatest-heist-in-history/
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 07:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Did you happen to hear the phrase "Well bless his heart, anyway" very often during those Summer visits?

Yes, I did.  

But more noteworthy to me was how all the kids my age called their elders "sir" or "maam."  

Should add that my mother was a Texan, and her dialect was part of my daily life in the North.

When I got in trouble at home she would say things like "Yo' Daddy's gonna clean yo' plow" and similar phrases.

And of course I heard "y'all" daily. In Texas my cousins would mimic me saying "you guys." And laugh.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 05:23 PM)basballguy Wrote: I'm not sure i agree there either.  The only time I ever hear about transgender bathroom stuff is when it gets posted here.  I don't read about it on CNN or Fox....I don't see it talked about on TV, I don't see the politicians I follow ever mention it.  

Now I do see (more frequently these days) issues about transgender impacts with children (the dumb stuff like school performances/shows)...but again, nothing about bathrooms.  

In my opinion, it's a relatively minor item for the GOP platform as a whole.  Not the center...not a main part....like if you were to take a politicians time and divide up their campaign by the issues they support, I bet it's something like 1% of their time (or less) is spent caring about transgender bathrooms.  

Late getting back to this, but here goes:

As to the bolded, Trump devoted more time to bathrooms during his CPAC speech than he did the wall. If he is elected, the "center" of his program will be revenge. Haley also has a stance on "woke issues," specifically trans people in sports and the like. https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2022/08/nikki-haley-provides-peek-just-transphobic-gops-presidential-primary-will/

Pence is putting trans policy front and center of his Iowa ad campaign. 
https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-politics-and-policy/pence-group-run-ads-iowa-school-trans-policies-rcna69955

Check this interactive map tracking 434 anti-LGBQT rights in state legislatures. Only 6 states have no bills involving such issues at the moment. 14 have ten or more (Texas has 40+).  I haven't counted all, but at least 14 states have bills focusing on Trans rights. https://www.aclu.org/legislative-attacks-on-lgbtq-rights.  If 1% of Republicans' time is spent on bathroom issues, then what is the 99% remainder of legislation they have proposed? Generic ant-LGBQT legislation?  So far as I can tell, the only thing surpassing the Trans frenzy in the last year has been voter integrity laws, which make voting harder and give more control over outcomes to Republican state legislatures. 

The Republican party is fractured right now, as perhaps a third realize that Trump is a dead end, but the majority, who still want him or at least Trumpism, no longer behave like a party that wants to govern.  They are much given to addressing symbolic enemies--the Biden Crime Family, China, Soros, "racist" prosecutors, trans men in women's bathrooms/sports--with symbolic measures that aren't thought-through, but can be easily announced and discussed on talk shows to bump up polls. 

And they are circling the wagons around Trump, even considering legislation to erase his impeachment, like a regime party. With them in Congress, it's kind of like having Russia and China on the UN security council. The institution cannot work democratically, as designed, but rather anti-democratically to protect autocracy.

This will be easier to sort out once the debates start, for sure. If the GOP has them. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 03:35 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’m all for reparations for anyone who was an actual slave.

What is your stance on the decades of segregation, which crippled the ability of black families to build and 
pass on wealth, and limited where they could live and work? 
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 03:53 PM)Dill Wrote: What is your stance on the decades of segregation, which crippled the ability of black families to build and 

If politics is anything to go by I believe the response to this is to simply claim that white people are currently the ones facing this exact injustice.  It's the socio-political version of someone saying "I'm tired" and then you saying "You aren't tired, I'm tired."
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 03:46 PM)Dill Wrote: Late getting back to this, but here goes:

Remember, the comments on this board last week on several threads were: (paraphrasing)  "GOP is focused on trans bathroom rules"....which triggered my comments.  I'm gonna skip over anything Trump related as discussing Trump talking points on this forum will get me nowhere.  

(03-28-2023, 03:46 PM)Dill Wrote: Pence is putting trans policy front and center of his Iowa ad campaign. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-politics-and-policy/pence-group-run-ads-iowa-school-trans-policies-rcna69955

This has nothing to do with bathrooms and everything to do with giving a child an opportunity to "socially change gender identities" without the parents permission

So first of all, if a child is questioning their gender identity (which some may I guess), it's not up to the school to facilitate that discussion or transition.  They are supposed to be educators, not parents.  I don't see anything wrong with Pence's political group combatting this.  Do you?  

Separately, i don't think any human being should even begin having a discussion about transitioning until they at least reach their teens.  Any child asking these questions either has mental illness or shitty parents.  I'm thinking elementary school age here...not raging hormone teens.  

(03-28-2023, 03:46 PM)Dill Wrote: Check this interactive map tracking 434 anti-LGBQT rights in state legislatures. Only 6 states have no bills involving such issues at the moment. 14 have ten or more (Texas has 40+).  I haven't counted all, but at least 14 states have bills focusing on Trans rights. https://www.aclu.org/legislative-attacks-on-lgbtq-rights.  If 1% of Republicans' time is spent on bathroom issues, then what is the 99% remainder of legislation they have proposed? Generic ant-LGBQT legislation?  So far as I can tell, the only thing surpassing the Trans frenzy in the last year has been voter integrity laws, which make voting harder and give more control over outcomes to Republican state legislatures. 

While it's the ACLU's job to ensure equality across the spectrum, some of the shit on this site is a bit ridiculous.  I'll add some of these bills are stupid too.  Now using Texas as an example (since you called it out):
  • HB 2659 - School districts cannot discriminate against any employee that doesn't want to take the CDC's LGBTQ Inclusivity survey.
    - So preventing punishment of taking a survey is Anti LGBTQ?  Lol, no. 
  • SB 1443 - This one has a lot in it, however, if being pro LGBTQ means being pro beastality and pedophilia or being pro watching nude dancers at school then I guess i'm anti LGBTQ as well.  
    - Now I THINK this bill is listed simply because of a few bullets that say more or less "no books about same gender sex or transgender sex"  Ok fine, this bill can be anti LGBTQ but I question why the ACLU thinks its a good idea to support the opposition on this bill given its entire contents.
  • HB 5235 - hey it's a trans bathroom bill for schools!
    - This bill says what most of the others say, "kids should use their biological bathroom, but if the school district wants to make an exception and create a trans bathroom, they can knock themselves out and do it"  - Why is this anti LGBTQ?  
  • HB 5127 - This is literally an anti discrimination bill for colleges and universities.  (as far as i can tell)
    - So i guess it's Anti LGBTQ because there's no mention of LGBTQ in it?  
  • HB 3902 - This bill simply defines the words boy, girl, mother, father, etc.  
    - Words are assault these days.  Another reach by the ACLU.
  • HB 1752 - This bill says anyone performing gender transition surgeries on a minor is to be liable for financial damages (they can be sued)
    - Why the hell is the ACLU supporting life altering surgeries for minors?  
The ACLU is blinded and lost it's purpose.  

I could go on and on if i had the time to read these bills.  

(03-28-2023, 03:46 PM)Dill Wrote: This will be easier to sort out once the debates start, for sure. If the GOP has them. 

There will be debates over all these inclusion pushes but again, it's not gonna center around bathrooms.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 03:53 PM)Dill Wrote: What is your stance on the decades of segregation, which crippled the ability of black families to build and 

Yeah this is it exactly. Black people make up 6% of San Francisco but make up 38% of the homeless population. There is a reason why those numbers are like that. Generations of people after slavery have not been given the same opportunities. This was a draft proposal where they had like a 100 recommendations. They can approve all, some, none or alter any of the recommendations or have them go back and do a new draft proposal. So I think of it as more of a conversation starter. While I agree the 5 million is ridiculous from a point of view of whether it's feasible or not. If your purely talking about how you right the wrongs of the past then it's probably on the low end.
Reply/Quote

Really good point. I'd be lying if I said I liked history. My absolute most hated school subject. And I had total blinders on when it came to reparations and segregation.

My Dad worked in a factory in Cincinnati. His Dad worked in a factory in Cincinnati. Guess where I work? I went to integrated schools, I served in an integrated military, I work at an integrated business, and I live in an integrated neighborhood.

Why are we going back now and making raced based laws? And how far back are we going to pay for wrongs that may have cost a family wealth?
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 02:41 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Really good point. I'd be lying if I said I liked history. My absolute most hated school subject. And I had total blinders on when it came to reparations and segregation.

My Dad worked in a factory in Cincinnati. His Dad worked in a factory in Cincinnati. Guess where I work? I went to integrated schools, I served in an integrated military, I work at an integrated business, and I live in an integrated neighborhood.

Why are we going back now and making raced based laws? And how far back are we going to pay for wrongs that may have cost a family wealth?

Well if your going by the draft proposal some of the criteria to meet our born or immigrated to the city between 1940 and 1995. So how far back would be the mid 90s according to what they proposed. As far as why we're going back now you can read the proposal. But it's basically because institutional racism exists.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 02:41 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Really good point. I'd be lying if I said I liked history. My absolute most hated school subject. And I had total blinders on when it came to reparations and segregation.

Yo Nati--I'm going to share a secret with you, but please don't tell anyone else on the board--all civil rights activists we see in the news today aren't necessarily well informed about U.S. history either. Current debates over reparations may be making that plain.

I support the concept and principle of reparations, but I don't think there is any going back to 1865 in hopes of identifying living, individual descendants to pay.  Payments to individuals, even if we knew whom they should be, might just be recycled back into white wealth, the way lottery winnings so often are. Or that approach could generate weird cases in which, say, 10 tax dollars from each worker at your factory went to compensating a multi-millionaire like Lebron James. 

Segregation positioned millions of blacks in poor jobs and housing, and outside of higher ed. For generations. The Civil Rights Act made such open discrimination illegal, yet it continued in the individual (and perhaps unconscious) choices of employers, realtors, educators and judges long after 1964. "Race-based laws" like affirmative action were created to address the opportunity gap bequeathed to us by history. AA can't address problems like housing and environmental discrimination, however. 

The proper object of reparations, should there be such, should be to end structural or "systemic" discrimination left in place by segregation, not making people "pay for wrongs."  That would mean plowing reparation money back into education and secure housing, addressing especially default housing segregation which continues in many places. And it would require at least a generation to see the effects.

I should add that from MLK to the current proponents of CRT, the call has been to address conditions which affect ALL economically disadvantaged people, including whites. King and Derrick Bell were always very clear about that. There has always been a connection between white and black poverty in the U.S., one aspect of which has been for the dominant classes to pit the former against the latter. That continues to work as well now as it did in 1865. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 09:13 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well if your going by the draft proposal some of the criteria to meet our born or immigrated to the city between 1940 and 1995. So how far back would be the mid 90s according to what they proposed. As far as why we're going back now you can read the proposal. But it's basically because institutional racism exists.

After this "Under that plan, Black residents of the city would receive a one-time payment of $5 million, complete and full forgiveness of their personal debt, an annual income of $97,000 and the ability to buy a home within San Francisco city limits for just $1."

No way could I convince myself to read that proposal. It is by far the most institutionally racist proposal I have heard coming from an American government body in my life and that was just the headline.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 05:12 PM)basballguy Wrote: Remember, the comments on this board last week on several threads were: (paraphrasing)  "GOP is focused on trans bathroom rules"....which triggered my comments.  I'm gonna skip over anything Trump related as discussing Trump talking points on this forum will get me nowhere.  

I don't have a problem with claiming the GOP is focused on trans bathroom rules if the front runners in the GOP primary feel the need to reference bathroom issues in their campaign speeches and GOP legislators are focused on such issues as well. 

"Discussing Trump talking points" certainly won't get you anywhere if your thesis is that bathrooms aren't an issue for GOP candidates--but there they are always in the GOP front runner's talking points. When Trump was president bathrooms were in his practice too, as one of his first "accomplishments" was to rescind Obama's directive allowing trans people to choose their restrooms out of regards for their safety. 
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/us/politics/devos-sessions-transgender-students-rights.html

Also, you don't win much if your argument is that only a TINY PART of the GOP focus on trans issues is about bathrooms. No MAGA-courting candidate is focused on just bathrooms; the latter is always embedded in a larger range of culture-war style trans issues, like the question of whether trans men should be allowed to compete in women's sports, whether children should see drag shows, or whether transgender people/issues should at all be identified in schools, etc. Tucker has had a segment on Trans people the last three nights, starting with Tuesday's show on the history of "trans violence," leading up to the recent school shooting by a trans person (guns don't kill people, gender dysphorics do!). Last night was a segment about trans men competing in women's sports. Hannity frequently discusses the subject as well.  Watch one day of Fox and count the references to small business policy vs trans. The last week especially trans issues have drowned everything out. The only thing that might beat it is immigration or the Biden Crime Family, which is finally just a step away from being exposed. (lol)

(03-28-2023, 05:12 PM)basballguy Wrote: This has nothing to do with bathrooms and everything to do with giving a child an opportunity to "socially change gender identities" without the parents permission

So first of all, if a child is questioning their gender identity (which some may I guess), it's not up to the school to facilitate that discussion or transition.  They are supposed to be educators, not parents.  I don't see anything wrong with Pence's political group combatting this.  Do you?  

Separately, i don't think any human being should even begin having a discussion about transitioning until they at least reach their teens.  Any child asking these questions either has mental illness or shitty parents.  I'm thinking elementary school age here...not raging hormone teens.  

Well, educators DO have to be parents. No way around that, and that's why we have the in loco parentis principle to establish the rights and protections of parental control over student behaviors. This right is not without its problems (e.g., school boards have removed a great deal of this power from individual teachers, hampering their classroom effectiveness). It is something which must be renegotiated every generation, but it is a thing.

As far as I can tell, there have only been a few cases in which minors have wanted to "transition" without their parents knowing. I think parents should know, but I don't find this a simple issue at all, given the possibility of abuse involved.  If a 12-year-old wants to transition, I am somewhat concerned as to what might happen if he/she is given a flat "no" and the parents are informed of the request. 
The mental health community has moved away from defining the desire to transition as "mental illness," and recognized the danger of ignoring people who want to transition. 
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 05:12 PM)basballguy Wrote: While it's the ACLU's job to ensure equality across the spectrum, some of the shit on this site is a bit ridiculous.  I'll add some of these bills are stupid too.  Now using Texas as an example (since you called it out):

The ACLU is blinded and lost it's purpose.  

First point to register here is that I much enjoy debating someone who actually deep dives into primary documents to ground his arguments. In this age of "post truth and post facts," I suspect we have more in common that our political differences might show. At some fundamental level we might be on the same side after all. 

As for the ACLU.org interactive map, remember that my goal here is to establish that trans issues, including trans bathroom issues, do have a prominent place in GOP politics right now, from the leadership on down. I am not arguing that "bathrooms" are the center of their program, if that means it's the #1 thing they want to "fix." My argument would be that trans issues have become an integral part of the war on wokeness, which may now be the primary focus of the party, at least at this moment, if we are going by the amount of press and rally talk devoted to it, not to mention the legislative attention it gets. 

The map establishes that pretty well, even if you can find "some" bills that you think are not particularly anti-LGBQT.  Let's look at  few you selected, to see how they relate to political management of culture war issues. 

(03-28-2023, 05:12 PM)basballguy Wrote:  Now using Texas as an example (since you called it out):

• HB 2659 - School districts cannot discriminate against any employee that doesn't want to take the CDC's LGBTQ Inclusivity survey.
    - So preventing punishment of taking a survey is Anti LGBTQ?  Lol, no. 
  • SB 1443 - This one has a lot in it, however, if being pro LGBTQ means being pro beastality and pedophilia or being pro watching nude dancers at school then I guess i'm anti LGBTQ as well.  
    - Now I THINK this bill is listed simply because of a few bullets that say more or less "no books about same gender sex or transgender sex"  Ok fine, this bill can be anti LGBTQ but I question why the ACLU thinks its a good idea to support the opposition on this bill given its entire contents.
  • HB 5235 - hey it's a trans bathroom bill for schools!
    - This bill says what most of the others say, "kids should use their biological bathroom, but if the school district wants to make an exception and create a trans bathroom, they can knock themselves out and do it"  - Why is this anti LGBTQ?  

As far as HB 2659 goes, the CDC survey was created to help teachers better understand the risks to LGBQT students and to recognize and work against the lack of "connectivity" the often feel in schools. So yes, very anti LGBQT, endorsing their non-recognition. https://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/safe-supportive-environments/lgbtq_youth.htm

Looks like 1443 equates transitioning to pedophila and bestiality; do you accept the equation? Is there good reason to? Pretty sure the ACLU thinks it good to oppose this bill because of the way it vilifies this minority, with the object of limiting their civil rights.
 https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/88R/billtext/pdf/SB01443I.pdf#navpanes=0

HB 5235 requires that students use bathrooms assigned to them by their birth certificates. So a student born a male, but now wearing a dress and maybe needing a bra would have to use the boys restroom and locker room. No other accomodation is required. So certainly many schools will not require it. Isn't that pretty obviously anti-trans? And more evidence this is a BIG issue for Republicans. 

(03-28-2023, 05:12 PM)basballguy Wrote: [*]HB 5127 - This is literally an anti discrimination bill for colleges and universities.  (as far as i can tell)
- So i guess it's Anti LGBTQ because there's no mention of LGBTQ in it?  
[*]HB 3902 - This bill simply defines the words boy, girl, mother, father, etc.  
- Words are assault these days.  Another reach by the ACLU.
[*]HB 1752 - This bill says anyone performing gender transition surgeries on a minor is to be liable for financial damages (they can be sued)
- Why the hell is the ACLU supporting life altering surgeries for minors?  
[*]

The goal of 5127 seems to be to shift control over curricula and hiring from the people who know their subjects to ideologues appointed by the governor, while claiming to prohibit "institutions of higher education from requiring or giving preferential consideration for certain ideological oaths or statements that undermine academic freedom and open inquiry and impede the discovery, preservation, and transmission of knowledge" (Sec. 1. 4-8). Section 3 prohibits the establishment of diversity and inclusion offices, and hiring and recruiting based thereon. That's what they mean by "ideology free" education. It's anti-LGBTQ because it will make hiring of LGBQT professors and recruiting of them for students, and teaching about them, subject to board control. This is perhaps the scariest bill of all. https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/88R/billtext/pdf/HB05127I.pdf#navpanes=0

Also, a note for future reference. Since 1865, U.S. legislatures passing laws to restrict minority rights in the U.S. have learned how to work around direct mention of said minority in crafting and passing such bills. That's why we so often have to look at the practice and effect of laws and policies to determine discrimination. The Trump team, knowing so little of law and history, blundered right into this the EO to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. with help they got it to a point where they could ban the Muslims they wanted without mentioning religion. 

RE: HB 3902, The goal appears to be to exclude gender and sexuality from legal recognition. You're not sure how this exclusion from legal terminology would affect classification of LGBQT students for policy and pedagogical purposes? If a boy wants to be a girl, and dresses like one, and begins physically transitioning--he still has to be called a "boy/he" and use the boys' bathroom. A fully trans mother has to be referred to as a "father."   
https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/88R/billtext/pdf/HB03902I.pdf#navpanes=0

HB 1752 --I think the ACLU's view is that, following the medical community, Gender-affirming care is life saving care. 
https://www.aclu.org/news/lgbtq-rights/doctors-agree-gender-affirming-care-is-life-saving-care

At this point, can I get you to concede that trans issues, if we include more than bathrooms, are a central (I don't so only) concern of the GOP, the party and its leading politicians? 
Reply/Quote
I"m not so sure cash in hand is the best way to go about trying to balance the inequalities. As was stated already, trying to figure out who actually should get the money will be hard (and will cost alot of money just to figure out).

To me, best way would be to use that money to beef up the educational opportunities for anyone that wants to use take advantage of it. This is what Freedom is about?? Having Choices right?

This wouldn't be the popular option, nor a "quick fix" would take time to see the results and most would fight it over cash in hand NOW vs Opportunities for their kids/grand kids to grow up and have an opportunity to fulfill their dreams and feel held back because of their financial situations.
Reply/Quote
North Carolina's Lt. Governor has this all figured out.   Mellow

[Image: giphy.gif]
I will be taking no further questions at this time.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 02:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: North Carolina's Lt. Governor has this all figured out.   Mellow

Unrelated, but am I the only person that sees that sign reading "NO GOP" at first glace?

Who paid for THAT design?
Reply/Quote