Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sando Ranks Andy 3rd Tier QB
(07-28-2015, 03:21 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Falcons: 252 passing yards
Panthers: 323 passing yards, 25 rushing yards
Colts: 126 passing yards
Ravens: 266 passing yards, 14 rushing yards (only included because of the 2 rushing TDs)
Broncos: 146 passing yards, 25 rushing yards.

So basically the Denver and Colts game are the two where the yards aren't high. And why did Dalton need to be 'protected'? The running game was working extremely well, so why would they turn to Dalton while they're up the entire game pretty much? They ran for 207 total yards. Why would you want to air it out while the run game is having THAT much success? Dalton did what was asked of him. Sorry he didn't put up 300 passing yards.

It wasn't necessarily that he didn't put up 300 passing yards, he just didn't look very good in that game.

Numbers are a nice thing to talk about, but they hardly tell the entire story. I give Andy a ton of credit for the early part of 2014, especially if you consider who he was working with at receiver in some of those games. I just can't get on board with saying he must have been good against Denver because of his passer rating alone. If you watched the game, you couldn't have been overly impressed with what Andy was doing. He completed 3 out of 9 passes that went 10 yards or more downfield, and he basically sat back dinking and dunking throughout the entire game.

I won't knock him and say that he was awful or anything, but it was hardly a "good game" for Andy and he shouldn't get a lot of the credit for that one. 73% of his yards were totaled from throwing dump offs down the middle within 9 yards of the LOS. Only 48 of his total passing yards came in the air, the rest of his yards were YAC by the receivers in that game.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 03:27 PM)blt4584 Wrote: Against Denver, it's not the fact that he didn't put up big numbers, it's the fact that he was missing his targets by miles when he was asked to put any distance at all on his passes.

???

Dalton had 8 incompletions that game. 1 was thrown away. He threw two deep passes. One to Green (obviously very hurt) and one to Sanz (against Talib). Who is Dalton's deep threat in those games?

One was an interception off of Green's hands (sure it was a tough catch but still he had a play on the ball).

Three were short passes, one was a middle-length pass.

He didn't go long because there was no one to go long to. The Denver game and two Colts games really show that.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 03:34 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: ???

Dalton had 8 incompletions that game. 1 was thrown away. He threw two deep passes. One to Green (obviously very hurt) and one to Sanz (against Talib). Who is Dalton's deep threat in those games?

One was an interception off of Green's hands (sure it was a tough catch but still he had a play on the ball).

Three were short passes, one was a middle-length pass.

He didn't go long because there was no one to go long to. The Denver game and two Colts games really show that.

He had 8 incompletions because it was painfully clear that Dalton was struggling with accuracy from the start of the game and Hue adjusted to plays that Dalton didn't really have to do much on. And Dalton might have had a healthy AJ if he didn't give him a hospital ball on a routine slant.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 03:31 PM)djs7685 Wrote: It wasn't necessarily that he didn't put up 300 passing yards, he just didn't look very good in that game.

We keep hearing how much better he'll look with a good running game, yet last year that didn't materialize. Injuries ... perhaps. He will have nowhere to hide this September if we can get to the regular season mostly intact.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2015, 04:25 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: 3rd tier is on point. Below average starting QB but not a bum. Would start on a third of the teams in the league.

I would put him middle to late 2nd tier,, so 16th to 18th.
Reply/Quote
I think he's a couple spots higher and lower 2nd tier, but that's just me. I also believe he's going to move several spots up the ladder this season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 03:31 PM)djs7685 Wrote: It wasn't necessarily that he didn't put up 300 passing yards, he just didn't look very good in that game.

Numbers are a nice thing to talk about, but they hardly tell the entire story. I give Andy a ton of credit for the early part of 2014, especially if you consider who he was working with at receiver in some of those games. I just can't get on board with saying he must have been good against Denver because of his passer rating alone. If you watched the game, you couldn't have been overly impressed with what Andy was doing. He completed 3 out of 9 passes that went 10 yards or more downfield, and he basically sat back dinking and dunking throughout the entire game.

I won't knock him and say that he was awful or anything, but it was hardly a "good game" for Andy and he shouldn't get a lot of the credit for that one. 73% of his yards were totaled from throwing dump offs down the middle within 9 yards of the LOS. Only 48 of his total passing yards came in the air, the rest of his yards were YAC by the receivers in that game.

Oh I agree. I'm not saying it was a good game or anything. But it certainly wasn't terrible. He put the ball where it needed to be and allowed his play-makers to work with it. He didn't have many options that were getting open consistently. But Dalton did what was asked of him without Green or Jones.

Any quarterback is going to struggle without his #1 and #2 receivers. But Dalton was put on the spot and did nicely in many of those games. Beat two playoff teams, tied one, and lost to one.

The Falcons and Panthers games were actually really good games by Dalton. He showed a ton of poise and made some really nice throws.
Reply/Quote
What is a 3rd tier QB anyways?

If the 1st tier are the top talent, then we'd be talking about about Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning, Rothlesburger and Luck.

If the 2nd tier are is guys just below these who you know you can count on, then that would be Wilson, Rivers, Eli, Flacco, Romo, Ryan and Stafford. That's 11 spots taken right there.

After that would be capable QBs with problems or lack of experience. This would be Dalton, Tannehill (but he's improving every year and will move up this year), Cutler, Newton, Carr, Bridgewater, Bortles and Foles. Not listing any rookies.

So, I guess tier 3 is correct for Dalton. He's definite not the same tier as Wilson, Rivers, Flacco, Romo, etc.

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 02:02 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Oh I agree. I'm not saying it was a good game or anything. But it certainly wasn't terrible. He put the ball where it needed to be and allowed his play-makers to work with it. He didn't have many options that were getting open consistently. But Dalton did what was asked of him without Green or Jones.

Any quarterback is going to struggle without his #1 and #2 receivers. But Dalton was put on the spot and did nicely in many of those games. Beat two playoff teams, tied one, and lost to one.

The Falcons and Panthers games were actually really good games by Dalton. He showed a ton of poise and made some really nice throws.

Dalton had a down year overall, but 2 things I was pleased with was how he played against the Ravens and Steelers, and also how he played with AJ out. Other than the Colts game, he played well without AJ.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 02:15 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Dalton had a down year overall, but 2 things I was pleased with was how he played against the Ravens and Steelers, and also how he played with AJ out. Other than the Colts game, he played well without AJ.

Honestly, that Browns game ruined his entire year. He would have had a 89.6 QB rating and a 66.7% completion percentage.

But, alas. You can't take away bad games.

Dalton did play very well against both the Steelers and Ravens. Sure, that one interception where him and Green were on the wrong page in Pittsburgh was bad, but overall he was solid and played at a high level. Didn't have below a QB rating of 83 against either of them all year. New milestone for him.
Reply/Quote
Low 2nd tir to high 3rd is about right at this point. Can he take the next step. I certainly hope so. This will be his make or break year.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 02:15 AM)BengalChris Wrote: What is a 3rd tier QB anyways?

If the 1st tier are the top talent, then we'd be talking about about Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning, Rothlesburger and Luck.

If the 2nd tier are is guys just below these who you know you can count on, then that would be Wilson, Rivers, Eli, Flacco, Romo, Ryan and Stafford. That's 11 spots taken right there.

After that would be capable QBs with problems or lack of experience. This would be Dalton, Tannehill (but he's improving every year and will move up this year), Cutler, Newton, Carr, Bridgewater, Bortles and Foles. Not listing any rookies.

So, I guess tier 3 is correct for Dalton. He's definite not the same tier as Wilson, Rivers, Flacco, Romo, etc.

I agree. But many debate this topic. (Not the same as Wilson, flacco, romo).

Andy is a win-with quarterback and not a win-bc-of-Qb.

I think 3rd tier is accurate, especially after Dalton has logged 64 regular season games and 4 post.

Some ask how a 3rd tier QB could bring the team to the playoffs every year for 4 years. Repeat: wins-with qb.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 02:24 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Honestly, that Browns game ruined his entire year. He would have had a 89.6 QB rating and a 66.7% completion percentage.

But, alas. You can't take away bad games.

Dalton did play very well against both the Steelers and Ravens. Sure, that one interception where him and Green were on the wrong page in Pittsburgh was bad, but overall he was solid and played at a high level. Didn't have below a QB rating of 83 against either of them all year. New milestone for him.

Just goes to show how atrocious he was in that Browns game. I've never seen a single game tank a QB's season stats like that.

I think Dalton will rebound this year, but until he wins a playoff game, all failures will be pinned on him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote