Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Santa Claus field trip canceled after mom complains
Quote:A San Jose, California, elementary school has canceled its annual "Dear Santa" assignment and field trip after one mother complained the school district was favoring one religion over others.

According to a CBS News report, the field trip was a decade-long tradition at Sartorette Elementary School. The outing involves students going to see Santa at a local coffee shop.

The mother, who is Jewish, complained to the school board that the district should "teach about all holidays," reported San Francisco station KPIX-TV.

Now other parents are sounding off, with some confronting the school board and blaming the Jewish mother for ruining Christmas, the CBS News story said.

The mother claims she is not ruining Christmas and that she is being bullied by the other parents, the story said.

http://www.wtae.com/national/santa-claus-field-trip-canceled-after-mom-complains/37028816?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_campaign=WTAE-TV%20Pittsburgh
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Santa = Jesus, now ?
Guess I've been out of the loop.
You know, back when I was in school, we used to have these things called permission slips. If a parent did not want their child to take part in any particular activity, that child was left at the school. Why is it, in this day and age, that it seems when one has a problem with something, it must be wrong for everyone?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(12-19-2015, 05:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You know, back when I was in school, we used to have these things called permission slips.  If a parent did not want their child to take part in any particular activity, that child was left at the school.  Why is it, in this day and age, that it seems when one has a problem  with something, it must be wrong for everyone?

Exactly. Let the kids who's parents don't agree stay at school in study hall by themselves. Or doing some writing assignment.
(12-19-2015, 04:40 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Santa = Jesus, now ?

Well they both have beards ....  Ninja
(12-19-2015, 04:40 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Santa = Jesus, now ?

I guess if you want to ignore the increased commercialization of the figure in the 20th century you could discuss his origins as a Turkish saint. But yeah, he is a pretty secular figure at this point.
(12-19-2015, 08:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I guess if you want to ignore the increased commercialization of the figure in the 20th century you could discuss his origins as a Turkish saint. But yeah, he is a pretty secular figure at this point.

It really is a shame that the actual history of "Santa" has been commercialized over time. It's actually quite interesting how it's portrayed based on the region.

To me that's a more interesting story that is worth telling.
Santa Claus has nothing to do with religion. I guess since he's part of the secular half of a half religious holiday, there's a problem? The lady should have not allowed her child to take part in the fun instead of making sure that everyone else's children cannot participate as well.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

The non-Jewish kids can write to Santa and the Jewish kids can write to their accountants, or something.
(12-19-2015, 08:51 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It really is a shame that the actual history of "Santa" has been commercialized over time. It's actually quite interesting how it's portrayed based on the region.

To me that's a more interesting story that is worth telling.

Oh yeah. It's always weird to think about how Santa Claus is a combination of things. St. Nicholas, for one, but Kris Kringle is a play on Christkindl, the gift bringer in Protestant Germany (Luther trying to get the people away from the saints and put the focus on Jesus). The of course you have the Germanic Pagan tie ins in some cultures.

I'm a big Santa fan. Not just because I'm a fat bearded guy that will make a good one when I go grey, but because of what he tends to represent.