Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bo Knows
Bo Jackson says he would not play football today, knowing what he knows. He would also not allow his children to play.

I predicted to someone a few days ago that football would go the way of boxing in time. Boxing was the king of sports about 50 years ago, and now it is barely a blip on the radar for most fans.

This could almost go in P&R or Klotsch since there are broad social implications of more and more former players making statements like this, but I just put it here.

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/bo-jackson-would-smack-kids-play-football/325391

Will Bo's comments influence other parents? Fans? What think ye, football nuts?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Boxing went away because of corruption not because of head trauma. Hell if Head Trauma is such a big issue then why does UFC keep growing? Football won't go away because of head trauma their other things it has to worry about though like teams moving, lack of a global presence, distrust in its product, and way to many commercials in its game.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I don't see professional football going away because it's more than just a sport. It's a ritual, with tailgating and parties. It brings friends and families together in a way that other sports don't.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 10:25 PM)J24 Wrote: Boxing went away because of corruption not because of head trauma. Hell if Head Trauma is such a big issue then why does UFC keep growing? Football won't go away because of head trauma their other things it has to worry about though like teams moving, lack of a global presence, distrust in its product, and way to many commercials in its game.

Football won't go away because of head trauma...the NFL just bent over backwards and spends handfuls of money to hide the impact of head trauma for years for fun, I guess.

I sort of feel for the guys who played in a time where there was either no interest, or outright suppression regarding information that things were far more dangerous than they knew even if I feel like guys "know what they are getting into" now.

Either way, what does it matter what fans think? Guys who couldn't do a single pullup at gunpoint can sit on barstools and complain about NFL players being sissies all they want..that's been going on for generations.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 01:26 AM)McC Wrote: I don't see professional football going away because it's more than just a sport.  It's a ritual, with tailgating and parties.  It brings friends and families together in a way that other sports don't.

NFL could come out tomorrow and say the games are fixed. People would still gather, drink beer and play cornhole. They would BBQ, place bets and drink beer with friends. It's more about the friends and family than the game for many. Although, I find myself every game, watching the Bengals all alone. Our house is full of fans of exciting teams like the Colt's & Patriots. Then there is me. Cry

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 02:33 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: NFL could come out tomorrow and say the games are fixed. People would still gather, drink beer and play cornhole. They would BBQ, place bets and drink beer with friends. It's more about the friends and family than the game for many. Although, I find myself every game, watching the Bengals all alone. Our house is full of fans of exciting teams like the Colt's & Patriots. Then there is me. Cry

You could always "respect" a more exciting, second team.  We'll understand.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 08:50 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: You could always "respect" a more exciting, second team.  We'll understand.

I've always been a closet Cowboys fan! Ninja

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 12:50 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Football won't go away because of head trauma...the NFL just bent over backwards and spends handfuls of money to hide the impact of head trauma for years for fun, I guess.

I sort of feel for the guys who played in a time where there was either no interest, or outright suppression regarding information that things were far more dangerous than they knew even if I feel like guys "know what they are getting into" now.

Either way, what does it matter what fans think?  Guys who couldn't do a single pullup at gunpoint can sit on barstools and complain about NFL players being sissies all they want..that's been going on for generations.
People like Violence and Money. Football provides people with both and also provides many free college. If you think football is going to go away because of head trauma then you're fooling yourself because people don't care. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 01:26 AM)McC Wrote: I don't see professional football going away because it's more than just a sport.  It's a ritual, with tailgating and parties.  It brings friends and families together in a way that other sports don't.

Good point... Until the Chargers, Rams, Browns, etc bail on your friends and family. They are doing every thing they can to kill the gold egg laying goose on that front.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 08:06 PM)J24 Wrote: People like Violence and Money. Football provides people with both and also provides many free college. If you think football is going to go away because of head trauma then you're fooling yourself because people don't care. 

Have you heard about the new league being proposed? I haven't looked to see if there is a thread for it...
Reply/Quote
If I ever have kids, I don't know if I'll let my boy play football. Certainly not little pee-wee football. Maybe start in junior high. I had multiple concussions and other injuries in my playing days. But back then they just gave you some smelling salts and told you to go back in. You just got your 'bell rung'. What we are just learning about CTE is scary enough. What if I'm suffering from it now? I don't want my kids to go thru any of that. Just my two cents.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 12:23 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: If I ever have kids, I don't know if I'll let my boy play football. Certainly not little pee-wee football.  Maybe start in junior high.  I had multiple concussions and other injuries in my playing days.  But back then they just gave you some smelling salts and told you to go back in.  You just got your 'bell rung'.  What we are just learning about CTE is scary enough.  What if I'm suffering from it now? I don't want my kids to go thru any of that. Just my two cents.

Friend of mine took her kids to a sports banquet ca 12 years ago. Sam Wyche was basically passively promoting  a version of what you just said -- he was talking one and one with kids and affirming them playing soccer, baseball, lacrosse, basketball, etc. He would tell them what he liked about their chosen sport and what made it great and really praise their choice. Whenever a kid asked him about playing football he would always say something to the effect of when you are a junior or senior in high school if you want to try it out then you might really like it - It is a great sport too - and what you are doing now is playing a great sport you love - so stick with it! By the way your sport is also a great preparation for football if you want to try it when you are older.

I thought that was cool as hell then, and knowing what we know now I think it is even cooler.
Reply/Quote