Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sanu to Patriots (AJ Green Related)
(10-22-2019, 02:21 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: There trading there 4th best receiving option for a second RD pick. It's a no shit deal that any organization would do. 
Honestly it's a terrible move for the Patriots but since "they went for it" people will call it .
a good move.

Incredibly misinformed take, IMHO.

First of all, he's not their "4th best receiving option".  Julio is #1 of course, followed by, basically, 2a, 2b, and 2c with Ridley, Sanu, and Hooper.  If you follow that team, of take the time to look through their game logs, you'll see that those three have a revolving door of sorts of blow up games.  Guess who was 2nd in yards last year?  Sanu.  Guess who was 2nd in 2017?  Sanu.  2016?  Sanu.  Just because, through 7 games, he's 4th doesn't automatically make him their 4th best option.

Second, Sanu is considered one of the best blocking WR's in the league.  That does count for something.  And guess what team runs a TON of screens, that require a competent blocking outside receiver?  That's right, the Patriots.

He's a big, strong receiver who's versatile. He can run underneath routes, he can block, and he has ability down the field.  He rarely drops passes, rarely makes stupid mistakes, and by all accounts is a guy you want in your locker room.  These are all things that that fit their system and he can fill a lot of roles.

And what about their needs right now?  Well, Gordon just went down with a pretty significant injury and hasn't looked right all year.  Dorsett has been dinged up.  Edleman and Dorsett are tiny. They needed a big body and they definitely needed proven WR depth.  An undrafted rookie has been seeing significant time.

His cap hit is around 6 mil, and he's signed for next season too.  For perspective, Tyler Boyd just signed a deal for almost twice this annual amount. Even Jamison Crowder is making 9.5, Marquis Lee is making 8.5, Adam Humphries is making 9, Kenny Stills is making 8.  The list goes on and on. 6 mil, for a proven vet is a steal.

Finally, I think it's safe to say the Patriots will be picking at the bottom of the draft.  That #2 is a low 2, and as such is not much different than a high 3. People get too caught up in just 1, 2 or 3.  And fwiw, the Patriots have cut a number of #2 picks early in their careers.  They can afford to move them more than a dumpster fire of an organization like this one.

To each their own, but this move certainly makes more than enough sense to me.  They are playing for a ring, and desperately need depth. He's a good fit athletically, and maybe a better fit personality wise. Belichick loves versatile guys and Sanu is a virtual swiss army knife.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 10:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No team will make any kind of offer until they see that Green can play. 

Yeah, this is total b.s.
Reply/Quote
Awesome! Another former Bengals player will probably win a Super Bowl
Reply/Quote
Broncos just traded Emanual Sanders to the 49ers. Denver gave up Sanders and a 2020 5th rounder for San Francisco's 2020 3rd and 4th picks

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 10:01 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: It's tough to tell what the **** some of these people are thinking. I'm often amazed by the poor quality of some of these takes. 

Some of us just actually listen to what the players and the organization is saying. The organization says they are not trading him. More importantly, AJ says he does not want to be traded. He says he loves  Cincinnati and wants to stay here and own all the franchise records for WR, like Fitzgerald is doing in Arizona. He also says he has more than enough money (and he does) , so that is not a factor for him. "Some of these people" just insist on projecting their own thoughts and emotions onto a player. AJ will be here next year, bank on it.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 03:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Incredibly misinformed take, IMHO.

First of all, he's not their "4th best receiving option".  Julio is #1 of course, followed by, basically, 2a, 2b, and 2c with Ridley, Sanu, and Hooper.  If you follow that team, of take the time to look through their game logs, you'll see that those three have a revolving door of sorts of blow up games.  Guess who was 2nd in yards last year?  Sanu.  Guess who was 2nd in 2017?  Sanu.  2016?  Sanu.  Just because, through 7 games, he's 4th doesn't automatically make him their 4th best option.

Second, Sanu is considered one of the best blocking WR's in the league.  That does count for something.  And guess what team runs a TON of screens, that require a competent blocking outside receiver?  That's right, the Patriots.

He's a big, strong receiver who's versatile. He can run underneath routes, he can block, and he has ability down the field.  He rarely drops passes, rarely makes stupid mistakes, and by all accounts is a guy you want in your locker room.  These are all things that that fit their system and he can fill a lot of roles.

And what about their needs right now?  Well, Gordon just went down with a pretty significant injury and hasn't looked right all year.  Dorsett has been dinged up.  Edleman and Dorsett are tiny. They needed a big body and they definitely needed proven WR depth.  An undrafted rookie has been seeing significant time.

His cap hit is around 6 mil, and he's signed for next season too.  For perspective, Tyler Boyd just signed a deal for almost twice this annual amount. Even Jamison Crowder is making 9.5, Marquis Lee is making 8.5, Adam Humphries is making 9, Kenny Stills is making 8.  The list goes on and on. 6 mil, for a proven vet is a steal.

Finally, I think it's safe to say the Patriots will be picking at the bottom of the draft.  That #2 is a low 2, and as such is not much different than a high 3. People get too caught up in just 1, 2 or 3.  And fwiw, the Patriots have cut a number of #2 picks early in their careers.  They can afford to move them more than a dumpster fire of an organization like this one.

To each their own, but this move certainly makes more than enough sense to me.  They are playing for a ring, and desperately need depth. He's a good fit athletically, and maybe a better fit personality wise. Belichick loves versatile guys and Sanu is a virtual swiss army knife.
Lol he is 4th in receiving yards and 4th in targets this season for the Falcons he was no doubt there 4th option, can't stretch a defense worth crap, has never been a 1000 yard received in his career, is expensive, and just turned 30. 
All the guys you named except for Humphries are better than Sanu easily.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Great post.

The minute i heard about this trade i was not thinking is he worth a 2nd rd pick, years on his contract, blah, blah..

I was thinking i bet Belichick is not only looking for a WR but an advantage in the playoffs...

...really would not be surprised to see Sanu uncork one of his run/throw options at a critical point on the post season
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 04:44 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Lol he is 4th in receiving yards and 4th in targets this season for the Falcons he was no doubt there 4th option, can't stretch a defense worth crap, has never been a 1000 yard received in his career, is expensive, and just turned 30. 
All the guys you named except for Humphries are better than Sanu easily.

But Sanu was on the table and the other guys were not presumably.

Honestly if Sanu helps get them to the Super Bowl do you honestly think Belichick or their FO give a rat's ass about losing a bit of perceived trade 'value'?

If it works (like it has so many times before) they are good, if not they will just move on. No biggie...

...meanwhile we sit on a ton of crappy draft picks , accumulate losing seasons and then applaud ourselves when we have loads of our own drafted players cashing cheques on our roster
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 03:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Finally, I think it's safe to say the Patriots will be picking at the bottom of the draft.  That #2 is a low 2, and as such is not much different than a high 3. People get too caught up in just 1, 2 or 3.  And fwiw, the Patriots have cut a number of #2 picks early in their careers.  They can afford to move them more than a dumpster fire of an organization like this one.

Even after trading away this second round pick the Pats are projected to have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Pats can cut a lot of second round picks because they always seem to have a ton of extra second/third round picks.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 04:44 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: All the guys you named except for Humphries are better than Sanu easily.
Yeah, sure they are.  Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 04:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Some of us just actually listen to what the players and the organization is saying. The organization says they are not trading him. More importantly, AJ says he does not want to be traded. He says he loves  Cincinnati and wants to stay here and own all the franchise records for WR, like Fitzgerald is doing in Arizona. He also says he has more than enough money (and he does) , so that is not a factor for him. "Some of these people" just insist on projecting their own thoughts and emotions onto a player. AJ will be here next year, bank on it.

If AJ plays his whole career here and we still dont have a ring of honor that would be cruel. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Ridiculous

He's always been their 4th option. The reason he was #2 in yards those previous years is because the defense knew he was their 4th option and he was pitted against the 4th cornerback or the 3rd safety a lot.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 04:59 PM)sonofstat Wrote: But Sanu was on the table and the other guys were not presumably.

Honestly if Sanu helps get them to the Super Bowl do you honestly think Belichick or their FO give a rat's ass about losing a bit of perceived trade 'value'?

If it works (like it has so many times before) they are good, if not they will just move on. No biggie...

...meanwhile we sit on a ton of crappy draft picks , accumulate losing seasons and then applaud ourselves when we have loads of our own drafted players cashing cheques on our roster

If any other team makes that trade are we supporting it? No! If they don't win the Superbowl is it a bad trade or if the pick turns out to be a good player is it a bad trade?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The take is very simple

The Pariots are who they are because they are always looking to improve. They pickup Sanu to strengthen the offense, if the Bengals were in the Pats position now they would think "were good"

The Bengals need a complete rebuild and are doing nothing. They should be doing what the Raiders did last year and stocking up picks.

The front office is inept, no matter who the HC is..
Reply/Quote
AJ Green is obviously a great talent but other than the injuries and the aging, he did seem to have some butter fingers the last couple of years. Does anyone remember the interceptions off of his hands? Don’t get me wrong, I got to see acrobatic catches too but he wasn’t as good as he could’ve been. If I have a team, I’d take a highly rated draft pick and AJ’s money to sign a free agent over AJ. He is an aging talent that will probably be slower now because of age and injury. I’d take my chances on the 2 other players that I could have. Some seem to expect that AJ from 4 years ago will show up for the next 2-3 years. Is that a good bet to make? I wouldn’t count on it. You guy’s will get your way, Mike won’t trade AJ. You’re the same fans that predict 10 Wins every year. It’s keeping a guy for his past numbers and because he happens to be a great guy. It’s trying to hold onto the past and not forward thinking. It’s the emotional decision and not the right business decision and it’s what leads to the Bengals being the Bengals every year.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 05:30 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Ridiculous

He's always been their 4th option. The reason he was #2 in yards those previous years is because the defense knew he was their 4th option and he was pitted against the 4th cornerback or the 3rd safety a lot.

Wtf are you talking about? 4th corner or 3rd safety? How many teams employ a third safety or run strickly dime defense?

You guys can pretend otherwise, but he was their 2nd option the last 3 years. And Hooper, like every other Tight End, is getting picked up by an LB or a Nickel pretty much every down unless theyre playing zone.

The idea that Sanu is seeing 4th corner or 3rd safety (What?) coverage cuz theyre sliding over their corner 2 for Austin Hooper and his 500 yards is what's ridiculous.  And their 3rd WR in 16 and 17 was Taylor Gabriel. Ridley didnt arrive till last year. You really think Gabriel was drawing more attention than Sanu?

To each their own. I prefer to go by the yards, targets, snaps, depth charts. All of which are in his favor in '16, 17 and 18. 
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 05:42 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: You’re the same fans that predict 10 Wins every year. It’s keeping a guy for his past numbers and because he happens to be a great guy. It’s trying to hold onto the past and not forward thinking. It’s the emotional decision and not the right business decision and it’s what leads to the Bengals being the Bengals every year.

Wait.  I thought getting rid of Whitworth when he was 36, drafting a replacement, and using that money on another player was the reason the Bengals were the Bengals every year.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 06:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wait.  I thought getting rid of Whitworth when he was 36, drafting a replacement, and using that money on another player was the reason the Bengals were the Bengals every year.

Is that an exact comparison? An extremely physically strong man that played 16 games and made the pro bowl is the exact situation as a guy battling injuries to his wheels and depends on speed? A guy that hasn’t played a game yet and has been hurt for the last 2 years? That’s the exact same? My opinion at the time was to tag Whit until they knew that his replacement was legit. I don’t want to tag AJ though. Apples and oranges.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 09:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You don't trade your best player. AJ has said he does not want to be traded. The Bengals have said they are not trading him..... let it go..... Dead Horse Dead Horse Dead Horse Dead Horse

Best player set to be a free agent for a team that’s looking at a 4-5 year rebuild. Sorry but it’s dumb to keep him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 09:57 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Um, how is that "//thread?" It's a horrible take. 

It is a horrible take. Get what you can for him, there’s no guarantee he’ll resign here. He could easily change his mind and go elsewhere in free agency. Remember how this team talked a big game about resigning Whitworth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote