Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarah Palin blasts Donald Trump Carrier deal as 'crony capitalism'
I think we can expect that other Republicans who don't get gov. positions from Trump will return to the (pre-Trump) conservative fold.

“Republicans oppose this, remember? Instead, we support competition on a level playing field, remember? Because we know special interest crony capitalism is one big fail,” the former Alaska governor wrote.

She said that trust should be placed in the invisible hand of the market and touted Ronald Reagan for having conservative policy rather than intervening in individual companies’ choices.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sarah-palin-blasts-trump-carrier-deal-crony-capitalism-article-1.2896719

Any free-marketeers in this forum supporting the Trump/Pence Carrier deal?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I think it was funny that she was ever floated for an Administrative position in the first place. That idea existed purely in the fantasy of the butthurt liberal media.

Trump's an idiot, but the schadenfreude continues to exceed expectations!
--------------------------------------------------------

(12-03-2016, 01:31 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I think it was funny that she was ever floated for an Administrative position in the first place.  That idea existed purely in the fantasy of the butthurt liberal media.

According to this article, the butthurt liberal media got the fantasy from Palin and Trump staffers.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/sarah-palin-consideration-va-secretary/story?id=43878336

Sarah Palin is under consideration for secretary of veterans affairs, a close Palin aide and a top Donald Trump transition official told ABC News.

Now she will be out there reminding everyone how far Trump is from the free market/small government principles supposed to be the essence of conservative economic policy.
(12-03-2016, 05:51 AM)Dill Wrote: According to this article, the butthurt liberal media got the fantasy from Palin and Trump staffers.

WELL THEN....must be a fact.

Or you can think for yourself.  Try it sometime.  It makes you look less [edited for safe cupcakes...]

(12-03-2016, 05:54 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: WELL THEN....must be a fact.

Or you can think for yourself.  Try it sometime.  It makes you look less [edited for safe cupcakes...]

Veering from the factual record into ad hominem, as you were, is not "thinking for oneself"--

Or at least it wasn't in the pre-Trump era.

If anyone else is following this thread, I would still be interested hearing how they think Trump's Carrier solution squares with the free market ideals still at the center of so much conservative economic discourse.
(12-03-2016, 06:13 AM)Dill Wrote: Veering from the factual record into ad hominem, as you were, is not "thinking for oneself"--

Or at least it wasn't in the pre-Trump era.

If anyone else is following this thread, I would still be interested hearing how they think Trump's Carrier solution squares with the free market ideals still at the center of so much conservative economic discourse.

Palin as a potential staff member has never been floated "officially", outside of liberal media.  I laughed when I first hear Palin for Sec State, and I'm still laughing.  As little as I expect from Trump, I couldn't believe it would be true. And it hasn't been. Good mileage, though.

Sure, "un-named sources" is a fact, I'm sure.  The liberal media got so frothy with all this that Obama's team, itself, had to tell them that the process wasn't actually abnormal.

I've made several comments on Carrier.  Happy to discuss it if you like, but I suspect you aren't up to the task if VOX doesn't have an opinion.

She's right, though. This is populist politics, not conservative. The Wall Street Journal also attacked him yesterday, saying this hurts the idea of free markets and sets an dangerous precedent of ad hoc politics every time a company makes a decision to be more competitive. They called upon their readers to reject his policies that weren't actually conservative.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(12-03-2016, 01:31 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I think it was funny that she was ever floated for an Administrative position in the first place.  That idea existed purely in the fantasy of the butthurt liberal media.

(12-03-2016, 08:33 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Palin as a potential staff member has never been floated "officially", outside of liberal media.  I laughed when I first hear Palin for Sec State, and I'm still laughing.  As little as I expect from Trump, I couldn't believe it would be true.  And it hasn't been.  Good mileage, though.

Sure, "un-named sources" is a fact, I'm sure.  The liberal media got so frothy with all this that Obama's team, itself, had to tell them that the process wasn't actually abnormal.

I've made several comments on Carrier.  Happy to discuss it if you like, but I suspect you aren't up to the task if VOX doesn't have an opinion.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2016/11/30/trump-considers-adding-sarah-palin-cabinet-report

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2016/11/30/report-trump-considering-sarah-palin-to-lead-an-agency-he-often-criticized-on-the-campaign-trail/

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/11/30/abc-news-sarah-palin-consideration-secretary-veterans-affairs/

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/306495-trumps-nominees-may-face-roadblocks
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-03-2016, 08:33 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Palin as a potential staff member has never been floated "officially", outside of liberal media.  I laughed when I first hear Palin for Sec State, and I'm still laughing.  As little as I expect from Trump, I couldn't believe it would be true.  And it hasn't been.  Good mileage, though.

It is not the "liberal media" whose vetting of facts is questionable here.

Palin was considered for head of the VA, not Secretary of State.

Perhaps you should stop laughing and actually read the the liberal media before assessing the truth value of their reporting.

And you might check your right wing media too before deciding what's exclusive to "liberal fantasy."

Fox reported on the Palin as well.
http://www.fox23.com/news/trending-now/donald-trump-sarah-palin-and-the-push-to-privatize-the-va/472275686
Considering the fact she is the mother of an Iraq veteran to be one of her qualifications, that makes for solid credentials in the right wing fantasy of Trump's amazing new "outsider" cabinet.

She took the time to comment on her Facebook page as well.

(12-03-2016, 09:37 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: She's right, though. This is populist politics, not conservative. The Wall Street Journal also attacked him yesterday, saying this hurts the idea of free markets and sets an dangerous precedent of ad hoc politics every time a company makes a decision to be more competitive. They called upon their readers to reject his policies that weren't actually conservative.

LOL we may be seeing ad hoc politics across the board now, considering his recent foreign policy gaffs.

Sanders has an interesting op ed in the Washington Post regarding what he sees as the long term consequences of the Carrier deal. He also notes how different Trump's actual handling of Carrier is from the campaign version, which involved a brutal, big-stick approach to offshoring.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/12/01/bernie-sanders-carrier-just-showed-corporations-how-to-beat-donald-trump/?utm_term=.76f1b9b8ea49

Quote:In exchange for allowing United Technologies to continue to offshore more than 1,000 jobs, Trump will reportedly give the company tax and regulatory favors that the corporation has sought. Just a short few months ago, Trump was pledging to force United Technologies to “pay a damn tax.” He was insisting on very steep tariffs for companies like Carrier that left the United States and wanted to sell their foreign-made products back in the United States. Instead of a damn tax, the company will be rewarded with a damn tax [i]cut. Wow! How’s that for standing up to corporate greed? How’s that for punishing corporations that shut down in the United States and move abroad?

Trump has endangered the jobs of workers who were previously safe in the United States. Why? Because he has signaled to every corporation in America that they can threaten to offshore jobs in exchange for business-friendly tax benefits and incentives. Even corporations that weren’t thinking of offshoring jobs will most probably be re-evaluating their stance this morning. And who would pay for the high cost for tax cuts that go to the richest businessmen in America? The working class of America.  

Let’s be clear. United Technologies is not going broke. Last year, it made a profit of $7.6 billion and received more than $6 billion in defense contracts. It has also received more than $50 million from the Export-Import Bank and very generous tax breaks. In 2014, United Technologies gave its former chief executive Louis Chenevert a golden parachute worth more than $172 million. Last year, the company’s five highest-paid executives made more than $50 million. The firm also spent $12 billion to inflate its stock price instead of using that money to invest in new plants and workers.[/i]

The last statement suggests (to me at least) that part of the problem of lower wages is the shift of profits earned from wages to corporate salaries and bonuses. Keeping businesses viable and profitable over the long term may not be a goal for some  corporate executives moving from company to company as they do.
(12-03-2016, 07:33 PM)Dill Wrote: It is not the "liberal media" whose vetting of facts is questionable here.

First off....You realize a local Fox affiliate is not the same as Fox News?

Second, it's still all rumor and conjecture.  Palin has practially been floated for almost every cabinet position (according to the "media"), but there's literally been nothing to suggest she's actually been in serious consideration for anything.

Yes, it's butthurt media (which includes Fox because, again, Trump is not a conservative) and you're buying.

(12-03-2016, 08:53 PM)Dill Wrote: The last statement suggests (to me at least) that part of the problem of lower wages is the shift of profits earned from wages to corporate salaries and bonuses. Keeping businesses viable and profitable over the long term may not be a goal for some  corporate executives moving from company to company as they do.

This just isn't how it works.   And it's probably not math you're familiar with.  I see this type of BS again and again from people who've never been in a boardroom, and who have no basic financial math skills.

I could start multiple threads on this.  The best parable I could offer is that you're worried about the cost of board wax when parking fees are going up 10000%

It may be shock to some, but actually investors are not ***** stupid.   But that would be many, many more threads/

(12-03-2016, 08:33 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I've made several comments on Carrier.  Happy to discuss it if you like, but I suspect you aren't up to the task if VOX doesn't have an opinion.

I never saw your comments on the Carrier deal.  Care to share them?

BTW I am also still waiting for your reply to the last post in this thread.  Seems you have a habit of claiming to have great arguments but being unwilling to share them.
(12-04-2016, 03:30 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: This just isn't how it works.   And it's probably not math you're familiar with.  I see this type of BS again and again from people who've never been in a boardroom, and who have no basic financial math skills.

I have also heard the exact same argument from some very qualified economists.

The theory used to be that businesses would make decisions based on long term viability of the company, but now short term profit is more important than long term success.

Finally I have seen our entire economy collapse based on the decisions of people in boardrooms.  Maybe you should stop blindly worshiping the very people who have messed things up so badly in the past.
(12-03-2016, 09:37 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: She's right, though. This is populist politics, not conservative. The Wall Street Journal also attacked him yesterday, saying this hurts the idea of free markets and sets an dangerous precedent of ad hoc politics every time a company makes a decision to be more competitive. They called upon their readers to reject his policies that weren't actually conservative.
He never ran on conservative economics, outside of a few references to Reagan. He ran on prop-America, populist polices and that's exactly what he's doing.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(12-03-2016, 01:02 AM)Dill Wrote: I think we can expect that other Republicans who don't get gov. positions from Trump will return to the (pre-Trump) conservative fold.

“Republicans oppose this, remember? Instead, we support competition on a level playing field, remember? Because we know special interest crony capitalism is one big fail,” the former Alaska governor wrote.

She said that trust should be placed in the invisible hand of the market and touted Ronald Reagan for having conservative policy rather than intervening in individual companies’ choices.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sarah-palin-blasts-trump-carrier-deal-crony-capitalism-article-1.2896719

Any free-marketeers in this forum supporting the Trump/Pence Carrier deal?

Wow!

I didn't think I would ever agree with Palin on anything.

Now I feel really.... dirty.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(12-04-2016, 01:19 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Wow!

I didn't think I would ever agree with Palin on anything.

Now I feel really.... dirty.

I know ..... my first reaction was "She didn't really write this - did she?" Palin? Really? 

I'm beginning to think I understand what being a turtle in a tornado feels like. Stick your head out for minute, see all kinds of weirdness blowing about, then retract until the storm blows over. And then realize the tornado has drawn you into the vortex, leaving you wondering if it will ever end  Ninja
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(12-04-2016, 02:46 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: First off....You realize a local Fox affiliate is not the same as Fox News?

Second, it's still all rumor and conjecture.  Palin has practially been floated for almost every cabinet position (according to the "media"), but there's literally been nothing to suggest she's actually been in serious consideration for anything.

Yes, it's butthurt media (which includes Fox because, again, Trump is not a conservative) and you're buying.
First off, Sure, Fox affiliate. Not the same. And Palin's facebook page isn't the same either. But they're proof enough the "liberal media" is not the only source. As you claimed.

Second, I've never heard Palin's name floated for secretary of state or any other cabinet position than VA. And that she was at least floated is not really "conjecture" when attributed to Trump and Palin sources, and she is talking about it herself.

And now you expand your category from "liberal" to "butthurt" media to include Fox, so somehow you were still really right about the source. 

Then blissfully, confidently, as if you haven't just made two egregious factual errors, you once again posit yourself as the media-savvy guy who doesn't "buy" all this BS that sucks everyone else in.
(12-04-2016, 12:46 PM)6andcounting Wrote: He never ran on conservative economics, outside of a few references to Reagan. He ran on prop-America, populist polices and that's exactly what he's doing.

And I said that early on. He's not a Conservative. She's asking Conservatives to hold him to Conservative policies as their party's nominee. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(12-04-2016, 04:29 PM)Dill Wrote: First off, Sure, Fox affiliate. Not the same. And Palin's facebook page isn't the same either. But they're proof enough the "liberal media" is not the only source. As you claimed.

Second, I've never heard Palin's name floated for secretary of state or any other cabinet position than VA. And that she was at least floated is not really "conjecture" when attributed to Trump and Palin sources, and she is talking about it herself.

And now you expand your category from "liberal" to "butthurt" media to include Fox, so somehow you were still really right about the source. 

Then blissfully, confidently, as if you haven't just made two egregious factual errors, you once again posit yourself as the media-savvy guy who doesn't "buy" all this BS that sucks everyone else in.

I  shared the link from Fax Nation.  They shared the story on the mothership too.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.