Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saturn in opposition and Stellarium
(06-03-2016, 09:18 PM)Penn Wrote: I'm glad you found it funny since parts of my last two posts were in jest.  I just re-read and now realize if the "cute" comment didn't connect in a person's mind with some past arguments (which I wasn't involved in) it could have been taken as serious.  Hopefully SCS caught that, if not then, well, he is just a rude Steeler fan who is nothing but confrontational and his response was just mean (lol).

That guy is a prick.
Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2016, 10:05 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah. If only this place had more feuds.

lol

It's like the Hatfields and the McCoys
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 05:45 PM)Penn Wrote: Hey now, ease up on the personal attacks.  I just thought you'd feel better about yourself if you "won".
That dude tries too hard to show he doesn't care. I find it amusing 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
He whispered into my ear, one time.
I'm not sure if he said "I have a big fallacy" or "I have a big phallus, see".
You never know with a guy like that.
Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 09:18 PM)Penn Wrote: An interactive map that shows a not completely accurate depiction of that scale in the US http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/ It starts on Minneapolis so zoom out and move it around to see other areas.

It had better be inaccurate, or else it has me angry.  It says that I'm in a red area if I'm in my pool, but orange in the front yard.  I don't want to stargaze in the front yard, I want to be laying on a float!

To make matters worse, it says the end of the pier at my sisters river house is in green, but if I swim out into the channel 20 yards it will be blue.  No effing way I'm doing that in the dark, that's how every Jaws movie starts!
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 12:04 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It had better be inaccurate, or else it has me angry.  It says that I'm in a red area if I'm in my pool, but orange in the front yard.  I don't want to stargaze in the front yard, I want to be laying on a float!

To make matters worse, it says the end of the pier at my sisters river house is in green, but if I swim out into the channel 20 yards it will be blue.  No effing way I'm doing that in the dark, that's how every Jaws movie starts!

My front yard is yellow and the back is green.
(on the map, not literally)
LOL
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 01:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Most children in the US have never even seen the Milky Way.

I have camped way out in the middle of nowhere in Utah and Colorado.  The night sky is unbelievalbe in places like thateven without a telescope.

The clearest and brightest sky I've ever seen was when I was on border patrol in Sasabe, Arizona. 

There's a big difference between the city and the country. Take that difference and multiply it by 3. That was the Arizona desert.

I guess that's why so many telescopes are in AZ.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 01:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have camped way out in the middle of nowhere in Utah and Colorado.  The night sky is unbelievable in places like that even without a telescope.

(06-07-2016, 09:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The clearest and brightest sky I've ever seen was when I was on border patrol in Sasabe, Arizona. 

There's a big difference between the city and the country. Take that difference and multiply it by 3. That was the Arizona desert.

I guess that's why so many telescopes are in AZ.

Not sure, but I think the low humidity out west also has something to do with the brilliance of the night sky.

The clearest I can remember was in the Canyonlands.  If you just laid back and watched the sky you would see a shooting star every few minutes, and that was every night, not just during a meteor shower.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 12:04 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It had better be inaccurate, or else it has me angry.  It says that I'm in a red area if I'm in my pool, but orange in the front yard.  I don't want to stargaze in the front yard, I want to be laying on a float!

I hear ya.  When you look at the darker areas you have to worry about either shark attacks or bear and mountain lion attacks.  Why can't nature just let us star gaze without interruption.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 12:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure, but I think the low humidity out west also has something to do with the brilliance of the night sky.

The clearest I can remember was in the Canyonlands.  If you just laid back and watched the sky you would see a shooting star every few minutes, and that was every night, not just during a meteor shower.

I wasn't sure if humidity affects the view of the night sky but assumed so.  I just looked it up and it appears that is indeed the case.  The only two places in AZ I've had the opportunity to star gaze were in Flagstaff and Tucson.  Tucson is a populated area and it shows.  In Flagstaff I was more interested in what was going on inside the hotel room so I gladly missed that opportunity.  But the daytime sky in the Grand Canyon is impressive.
Reply/Quote