Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sausage Gravy
I made sausage gravy for the first time, today. Now, I was born in PA to Yinzer parents, but I've lived almost my entire life in VA. All of this is in Appalachia, so there are cultural similarities, but things do change when you cross the Mason-Dixon. My parents never really made sausage gravy, though my dad liked it. I love the stuff; far more than I should as a diabetic. Anyway, I finally decided to make my own and this snowy Sunday was the perfect day to do it.

And yes, those are two over-easy eggs on top, which is a delicious thing to add if you've never tried it. Came out a little thicker than I'd have liked. I did 1 pound of sausage, 1/3 cup of flour, and about 2 1/2 to 2 2/3 cups of whole milk. The flavor was spot on, but I think a little more milk may be necessary. I was also rather generous with the pepper, but I got the amount right because the flavor was great.

Anyway, who else is a fan of biscuits and gravy and what are your tricks? I did a simple one for my first foray, but I have seen additions of things like cayenne, garlic, onions, etc. Anyone get experimental with their gravy?

[Image: EtD3nd7W8AEz773?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I add a can of evaporated milk to mine every once in awhile for a change, gives it a little sweeter flavor.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I use 1/3rd cup of flour and 3 cups of milk. The trick with the flour is to mix it into the sausage before you add the milk until you cant see any white then add the milk salt and pepper.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 11:03 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I add a can of evaporated milk to mine every once in awhile for a change, gives it a little sweeter flavor.

Hmm. That definitely seems interesting.

(01-31-2021, 11:03 AM)Synric Wrote: I use 1/3rd cup of flour and 3 cups of milk. The trick with the flour is to mix it into the sausage before you add the milk until you cant see any white then add the milk salt and pepper.

So I did that with the flour, but I used less milk than you. That is probably where I need to make my adjustment. I also added the milk about a 1/2 cup at a time, making sure to get everything mixed together well.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 11:05 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Hmm. That definitely seems interesting.

So I did that with the flour, but I used less milk than you. That is probably where I need to make my adjustment. I also added the milk about a 1/2 cup at a time, making sure to get everything mixed together well.

I've been making gravy since I was a kid.  After a few batches, you may decide to just toss predetermined amounts of ingredients out the window.  What I quickly discovered is that every batch develops differently.  For example, the fat content of sausage varies a bit from brand to brand.  A fattier sausage will absorb more flour, thus requiring more milk, and producing a greater volume of rich tasting gravy.  Whereas with leaner sausages, like Jimmy Dean for example, I like to cut back on the flour and milk, or risk producing a bland gravy that buries the flavor of the meat.  I like mine with plenty of pepper and also some onion powder and granulated garlic cooked in.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 11:23 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've been making gravy since I was a kid.  After a few batches, you may decide to just toss predetermined amounts of ingredients out the window.  What I quickly discovered is that every batch develops differently.  For example, the fat content of sausage varies a bit from brand to brand.  A fattier sausage will absorb more flour, thus requiring more milk, and producing a greater volume of rich tasting gravy.  Whereas with leaner sausages, like Jimmy Dean for example, I like to cut back on the flour and milk, or risk producing a bland gravy that buries the flavor of the meat.  I like mine with plenty of pepper and also some onion powder and granulated garlic cooked in.

That's interesting, and I hadn't thought about the fat content of the sausage. I'm a bit of a locavore at times, and we have some great places around here for sausage. Even store-bought, though, I try to stick with Gunnoe's. For that, the ratio I used was spot on (if I had added a little more milk). That being said, I'm sure I will get more of a feel for it as I keep going.

The addition of onion and garlic was something I had seen from some other folks, and I was intrigued by it. I' going to give it a go the next time I make some. This being my first attempt, I just wanted to go "plain" with it, in other words just a lot of pepper.

How can you tell if you need to use more or less of the flour and milk? Is it just based on what you know about the sausage?

Reply/Quote
Looks delicious.... The one tip from my aunt who made the best gravy I've ever ate is never stop stirring.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 11:35 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: That's interesting, and I hadn't thought about the fat content of the sausage. I'm a bit of a locavore at times, and we have some great places around here for sausage. Even store-bought, though, I try to stick with Gunnoe's. For that, the ratio I used was spot on (if I had added a little more milk). That being said, I'm sure I will get more of a feel for it as I keep going.

The addition of onion and garlic was something I had seen from some other folks, and I was intrigued by it. I' going to give it a go the next time I make some. This being my first attempt, I just wanted to go "plain" with it, in other words just a lot of pepper.

How can you tell if you need to use more or less of the flour and milk? Is it just based on what you know about the sausage?

Leaner sausage will rend less grease in the pan.  Bass Farms is one of my regional favorites around here.  They seem to use decent meat and flavoring, with a perfect fat content for gravy.  They cost a little more than most, but I feel like it's worth it.  If my aim is to make biscuit sandwiches, I typically opt for a leaner brand to cook patties with.  Cheaper brands often have a higher fat content, which makes for some flavorful gravy, but the meat cuts that they use are often junk and upset my stomach.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 11:49 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Leaner sausage will rend less grease in the pan.  Bass Farms is one of my regional favorites around here.  They seem to use decent meat and flavoring, with a perfect fat content for gravy.  They cost a little more than most, but I feel like it's worth it.  If my aim is to make biscuit sandwiches, I typically opt for a leaner brand to cook patties with.  Cheaper brands often have a higher fat content, which makes for some flavorful gravy, but the meat cuts that they use are often junk and upset my stomach.

So I am a pork fiend, and am willing to pay extra for good quality pork, so I understand what you're saying. But, I also eat everything but the squeal, so there isn't a cut I have a problem with. I'll have to experiment with some of the local hog farmers' stuff around here. It will be such a hardship. LOL

I have a few different ones in the area. I'm actually right down the road from Joel Salatin's place (the local Boy Scout camp for my council where I spent my summers working is literally a few properties away from it), and if it isn't his stuff I'm getting, it's one of the number of people he has had work at his place that have set up something similar for themselves in the area.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 10:27 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I made sausage gravy for the first time, today. Now, I was born in PA to Yinzer parents, but I've lived almost my entire life in VA. All of this is in Appalachia, so there are cultural similarities, but things do change when you cross the Mason-Dixon. My parents never really made sausage gravy, though my dad liked it. I love the stuff; far more than I should as a diabetic. Anyway, I finally decided to make my own and this snowy Sunday was the perfect day to do it.

And yes, those are two over-easy eggs on top, which is a delicious thing to add if you've never tried it. Came out a little thicker than I'd have liked. I did 1 pound of sausage, 1/3 cup of flour, and about 2 1/2 to 2 2/3 cups of whole milk. The flavor was spot on, but I think a little more milk may be necessary. I was also rather generous with the pepper, but I got the amount right because the flavor was great.

Anyway, who else is a fan of biscuits and gravy and what are your tricks? I did a simple one for my first foray, but I have seen additions of things like cayenne, garlic, onions, etc. Anyone get experimental with their gravy?

[Image: EtD3nd7W8AEz773?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]

My wife said, “that looks yummy.” I say, “keep your damn sausage gravy away from my woman!” Rant

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 12:26 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: My wife said, “that looks yummy.” I say, “keep your damn sausage gravy away from my woman!” Rant

The "morning after" breakfast may have had a part in me landing my wife. LOL

Reply/Quote
bfine's recipe:

https://www.bobevans.com/menu/family-size-breakfast/family-size-sausage-gravy-biscuits
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 11:23 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've been making gravy since I was a kid.  After a few batches, you may decide to just toss predetermined amounts of ingredients out the window.  What I quickly discovered is that every batch develops differently.  For example, the fat content of sausage varies a bit from brand to brand.  A fattier sausage will absorb more flour, thus requiring more milk, and producing a greater volume of rich tasting gravy.  Whereas with leaner sausages, like Jimmy Dean for example, I like to cut back on the flour and milk, or risk producing a bland gravy that buries the flavor of the meat.  I like mine with plenty of pepper and also some onion powder and granulated garlic cooked in.

Me too

I often make bacon grease gravy and as you say just wing it on the flour and milk. I've seen people add just about everything to it. Bacon bits, bologna, the Buddig corned beef, and so on.
Reply/Quote
I think the OP really missed out on titling this thread "Good Gravy".
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Don’t ruin good gravy with shitty store bought biscuits.

Make “drop biscuits”. I’ve experimented with them a handful of times. Nothing too complicated. Designed for ease. Not as easy as cracking open a package of biscuits but more than worth the effort IMO.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 08:25 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Don’t ruin good gravy with shitty store bought biscuits.

Make “drop biscuits”. I’ve experimented with them a handful of times. Nothing too complicated. Designed for ease. Not as easy as cracking open a package of biscuits but more than worth the effort IMO.

I'm just not adept at baking. I got my father's skills in the kitchen, which involved throwing shit together, and doesn't really work for baking things which requires a bit more precision. LOL

I've contemplated trying to bake biscuits, though. That and cornbread.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 09:03 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm just not adept at baking. I got my father's skills in the kitchen, which involved throwing shit together, and doesn't really work for baking things which requires a bit more precision. LOL

I've contemplated trying to bake biscuits, though. That and cornbread.

I'm not a baker. But when I saw 3 ingredient biscuits that involved minimal effort I gave it a try. Self rising flour, diced salted butter that is cold (frozen) and milk. Barely stir and drop spoon fulls onto a tray. That's how I started. Screwed around and tried different ways adding stuff and ended up with a batch that tasted like Red Lobster biscuits the one time. 

Nothing wrong with some of the store bought. But these just take it up a notch. 
Reply/Quote
Pack of biscuits and 1 can of Libby's Country Sausage Gravy per person

And you got breakfast(whatever meal you are eating) in 15 minutes. and no mess
Reply/Quote
First of all you8 have to have some sliced fresh tomatoes to go with sausage gravy.

I was taught to make gravy from just the drippings after the sausage was taken out of the pan. Same general recipe you just have to make sure you get the flour mixed well with the fat drippings before adding any milk. I also love gravy with fried chicken made the same way.

I use half milk/half water. Does not seem to change the flavor in any way.
Reply/Quote