Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saved by the $$/Not Saved by $$
Who is safe post draft based on salary cap hit (money we eat if we trade or cut someone) and who is in jeopardy? I used a 2 million threshold for safe and less than 1 million for unsafe.

Safe (in millions) - Geno, $13,9, Dre K. - 4.2, Carlos - 10,8, Glenn - 2 million, Uzomah - 6.3, Hart - 5.5, Miller - 6.5, P. Brown - 4.2, John Ross - 10.1, Dennard - 2.5, Price - 7.5 and Webb 2.5

Questionable (based on thousands)
- Dalton - 0, Boling - 500,  Bernard - 750, S. Williams - 800, Huber - 700, Vigil - 173, Bullock - 800, Boyd - 324, Willis - 452, Hubbard - 679, Lawson - 326 and Evans - 78

We can cut or trade guys, but mostly we seem to cut them. I see guys like AD who are not cap hit, but no replacement drafted so no danger. I see a guy like Ross going nowhere since his cap hit is 10.1 million in 2019

What do you think? I know many have favorites or dogs, but sadly some of those dogs likely have zero chance of being cut or traded due to the cap hit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 11:18 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Who is safe post draft based on salary cap hit (money we eat if we trade or cut someone) and who is in jeopardy? I used a 2 million threshold for safe and less than 1 million for unsafe.

Safe (in millions) - Geno, $13,9, Dre K. - 4.2, Carlos - 10,8, Glenn - 2 million, Uzomah - 6.3, Hart - 5.5, Miller - 6.5, P. Brown - 4.2, John Ross - 10.1, Dennard - 2.5, Price - 7.5 and Webb 2.5

- Dalton - 0, Boling - 500,  Bernard - 750, S. Williams - 800, Huber - 700, Vigil - 173, Bullock - 800, Boyd - 324, Willis - 452, Hubbard - 679, Lawson - 326 and Evans - 78

We can cut or trade guys, but mostly we seem to cut them. I see guys like AD who are not cap hit, but no replacement drafted so no danger. I see a guy like Ross going nowhere since his cap hit is 10.1 million in 2019

What do you think? I know many have favorites or dogs, but sadly some of those dogs likely have zero chance of being cut or traded due to the cap hit.

It's sad that a $2 mill dead cap could keep someone safe. That's not even 2% of the total cap, so not a substantial amount. One would think $5 mill would be a more realistic safe amount and anything lower would be unsafe, but the Bengals don't like much dead cap hit at all.

You need to include Redmond and Westerman in the Questionable category given the glutton of IOL the team now has with the additions of Miller, Jordan, and perhaps even Williams (although I'm more inclined to put him at OT). Neither Redmond nor Westerman makes above $645k.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Unless they are going to use that money to sign someone to an extension, there's no reason to cut a guy.
Reply/Quote
I'm certainly no expert on cap matters, but how can Ross' cap hit be that high going into the third year of a rookie contract?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 11:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote:
It's sad that a $2 mill dead cap could keep someone safe
. That's not even 2% of the total cap, so not a substantial amount. One would think $5 mill would be a more realistic safe amount and anything lower would be unsafe, but the Bengals don't like much dead cap hit at all.

You need to include Redmond and Westerman in the Questionable category given the glutton of IOL the team now has with the additions of Miller, Jordan, and perhaps even Williams (although I'm more inclined to put him at OT). Neither Redmond nor Westerman makes above $645k.

I don't disagree, it is just as you said Bengals hate dead cap.

My list for not safe was not all inclusive, I tried to list mainly starters or guys who played a lot of snaps. I agree Westerman and Redmond are not safe as they have little to no dead money cap if cut.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 01:02 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I'm certainly no expert on cap matters, but how can Ross' cap hit be that high going into the third year of a rookie contract?

Top 10 picks are slotted with compensation. Bengals chose to give him a huge bonus which they could pro rate over 4 years versus taking immediate salary cap hit. Next year it is 5.4 million cap hit so looks like 22 million dollar signing bonus.

Reply/Quote
There is NO WAY that Dalton is cut or traded this year, They said after we drafted Finlay that Dalton was our starting QB this season.
I also can't see Bernard, Vigil, Bullock, Boyd, Willis, Hubbard, Lawson or Evans going anywhere
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 01:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Top 10 picks are slotted with compensation. Bengals chose to give him a huge bonus which they could pro rate over 4 years versus taking immediate salary cap hit. Next year it is 5.4 million cap hit so looks like 2.2 million dollar signing bonus.

It is not just the pro rated bonus.  His entire $17+ million was 100% guaranteed, and his base salary was very low over the first two seasons (only $1.7 million total)
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 01:17 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't disagree, it is just as you said Bengals hate dead cap.

My list for not safe was not all inclusive, I tried to list mainly starters or guys who played a lot of snaps. I agree Westerman and Redmond are not safe as they have little to no dead money cap if cut.

Another thing that factors in that this thread doesn't mention is the cap savings if cut.
For example, Willis has a cap hit of $900k this year, so the Bengals would only be saving $450k if they cut him. That's much less of a savings than if they cut Gio, who would save $3.75 mill.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 11:18 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Who is safe post draft based on salary cap hit (money we eat if we trade or cut someone) and who is in jeopardy? I used a 2 million threshold for safe and less than 1 million for unsafe.

Can't see Boling gone. With our injury history and recent less-than-great ability to select OL, it seems a waste to cut or trade a decent player that we could conceivably have to try and search through the FA dumpster midseason to replace. Kind of the same with Vigil. Unless we get lucky and some team cuts a starter to make space, we need the guy as we probably haven't found his replacement (at least not by the the time the season starts). No chance on Dalton or Boyd.
Reply/Quote
I'd say maybe Willis, but I doubt it. DT will be a tough competition for a roster spot.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 02:06 PM)Benton Wrote: Can't see Boling gone. With our injury history and recent less-than-great ability to select OL, it seems a waste to cut or trade a decent player that we could conceivably have to try and search through the FA dumpster midseason to replace. Kind of the same with Vigil. Unless we get lucky and some team cuts a starter to make space, we need the guy as we probably haven't found his replacement (at least not by the the time the season starts). No chance on Dalton or Boyd.

I agree, Boling is safe because he plays multiple OL positions including tackle. I would not be thrilled if we traded him or let him go.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 01:02 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I'm certainly no expert on cap matters, but how can Ross' cap hit be that high going into the third year of a rookie contract?

The first 4 years are guaranteed, so it'd be his year 3 + year 4 salaries + prorated signing bonus if he were cut. Ergo, 10.1 mil dead cap hit if he's cut.
Reply/Quote
Sometimes fans look at these cap numbers and forget just how valuable a player actually is or isn't to the team. An example is Dalton.. Not to much cap money if cut, but then what do you do with a 4th round QB and a scrub who started last year as a starter? It doesn't really make a lot of sense to be talking about potential dollars and sense savings for cutting a guy you know with near certainty he will be starting game one and hopefully the entire season...the same applies to Geno and others. These are at best playing the 'what if' game of 'what if' say Findley suddenly shows he's by far the best QB in the league which is HIGHLY doubtful.. Or 'what if" Geno for some reason decided to ...oh, I don't know.. get arrested for raping a 10 year old kid right at Fountain Square... 
I get it.. You want to discuss the numbers and all that, but with certain players it just doesn't add up to even discuss cutting them..  I can certainly see the discussion with guys such as Redmond, Willis, Nickerson, etc., but not our front line starters whose jobs are safer than anyone on the team..
Dalton, Geno, Dunlap, Mixon, AJ, etc., are not getting cut without some kind of complete meltdown on their part(s) ..One or more MIGHT get traded, but that's also doubtful knowing Mike Brown's modus operandi .. He doesn't like flesh trading as he once called it.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote