Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Say what you want about the guy...
But this is a little touching.

https://www.bengals.com/news/wrenching-for-mike-brown-as-he-stays-safe-and-home

Even at 85 years old, Mike Brown does what he always does the day before a game.

On Wednesday he watched his beloved Bengals go through a brisk walkthrough in the stadium named after his father. Then he went for a brisk walk of his own around the field. Then as he walked into his corner office he kidded his secretary, Debbie LaRocco, that the bag of chips on her desk was all she got him for lunch.

But then the Bengals president didn't do what he has done 824 straight times. Getting on Bus No. 1 to accompany his team to a road game. For the first time in the history of the Bengals Thursday (8:20 p.m.-Cincinnati's Local 12), Mike Brown won't be on the bus or on the plane with them and in the building to watch them during a regular-season or post-season game.

"Wrenching," is what he called Wednesday. "I miss not going. I want to go."

That's 824 straight regular-season and post-season games. The only game he ever missed was the one he spent at the side of his dying father on Aug. 2, 1991, a Friday night pre-season game in Detroit. Paul Brown passed away in the middle of the night as Sunday turned into a training camp Monday morning.

Mike Brown is three years older than his dad and living in a much different world. He was born during The Great Depression and raised on World War II before helping his father start the Bengals amid the tumultuous late 1960s. The majority of his 30 years running the team has come in the post 9/11 era.

But never has there been a road game during a pandemic. So the streak ends at 824 straight games.

Getting Ready For The "Battle of Ohio" | Week 2 vs. Cleveland
"I'm the age I am and I check all the boxes and I'm told it's foolish to do it," Brown said of the travel issues. "It comes down to a decision and maybe it's time to start doing stuff like this. I'm just at the age I have to go about life a little differently."

He has seen the Bengals play in Morgantown, W. Va., and London, England. He has watched them in the Astrodome, Jerry World and Fenway Park.

But the streak ends, in all places, just three-and-a-half hours up the road in Cleveland, the town where he grew up, played high school ball and watched his father turn the team named after him into the NFL's first America's Team.

"It was going to be somebody," Brown said. "The fact it's Cleveland and on a Thursday night is all sort of ironic and not normal."

It's only the second time that Paul Brown's rivalry has been nationally televised from the city where it all started in 1946. The first one was 30 years ago, a throwback night Boomer Esiason threw for just 85 yards while five Bengals backs chewed up 233 yards rushing in a 34-13 victory.

But while one streak goes into the book, one stays alive. The family is represented in the traveling party by Brown's daughter and granddaughter, Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn and Elizabeth Blackburn, the club's director of strategy and engagement.

"When the streak started, Katie would have been about three years old and Elizabeth was far, far in the future," Brown said.

Once Brown settles in front of his TV set, it probably won't be all that much different than the other 824 games.

"I'll get excited at moments. Get upset at moments," Brown said. "I'll get joyful at times. I hope it's at the end when that occurs."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 04:29 PM)kdgjr Wrote: But this is a little touching.

https://www.bengals.com/news/wrenching-for-mike-brown-as-he-stays-safe-and-home

Even at 85 years old, Mike Brown does what he always does the day before a game.

On Wednesday he watched his beloved Bengals go through a brisk walkthrough in the stadium named after his father. Then he went for a brisk walk of his own around the field. Then as he walked into his corner office he kidded his secretary, Debbie LaRocco, that the bag of chips on her desk was all she got him for lunch.

But then the Bengals president didn't do what he has done 824 straight times. Getting on Bus No. 1 to accompany his team to a road game. For the first time in the history of the Bengals Thursday (8:20 p.m.-Cincinnati's Local 12), Mike Brown won't be on the bus or on the plane with them and in the building to watch them during a regular-season or post-season game.

"Wrenching," is what he called Wednesday. "I miss not going. I want to go."

That's 824 straight regular-season and post-season games. The only game he ever missed was the one he spent at the side of his dying father on Aug. 2, 1991, a Friday night pre-season game in Detroit. Paul Brown passed away in the middle of the night as Sunday turned into a training camp Monday morning.

Mike Brown is three years older than his dad and living in a much different world. He was born during The Great Depression and raised on World War II before helping his father start the Bengals amid the tumultuous late 1960s. The majority of his 30 years running the team has come in the post 9/11 era.

But never has there been a road game during a pandemic. So the streak ends at 824 straight games.

"I'm the age I am and I check all the boxes and I'm told it's foolish to do it," Brown said of the travel issues. "It comes down to a decision and maybe it's time to start doing stuff like this. I'm just at the age I have to go about life a little differently."

He has seen the Bengals play in Morgantown, W. Va., and London, England. He has watched them in the Astrodome, Jerry World and Fenway Park.

But the streak ends, in all places, just three-and-a-half hours up the road in Cleveland, the town where he grew up, played high school ball and watched his father turn the team named after him into the NFL's first America's Team.

"It was going to be somebody," Brown said. "The fact it's Cleveland and on a Thursday night is all sort of ironic and not normal."

It's only the second time that Paul Brown's rivalry has been nationally televised from the city where it all started in 1946. The first one was 30 years ago, a throwback night Boomer Esiason threw for just 85 yards while five Bengals backs chewed up 233 yards rushing in a 34-13 victory.

But while one streak goes into the book, one stays alive. The family is represented in the traveling party by Brown's daughter and granddaughter, Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn and Elizabeth Blackburn, the club's director of strategy and engagement.

"When the streak started, Katie would have been about three years old and Elizabeth was far, far in the future," Brown said.

Once Brown settles in front of his TV set, it probably won't be all that much different than the other 824 games.

"I'll get excited at moments. Get upset at moments," Brown said. "I'll get joyful at times. I hope it's at the end when that occurs."

What an absolutely CRAZY stat. Am I reading this right? This will only be the second time a Bengals/Browns game has been nationally televised, from Cleveland?

Also, despite his way of running the team, he does care about the franchise.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 04:52 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: What an absolutely CRAZY stat. Am I reading this right? This will only be the second time a Bengals/Browns game has been nationally televised, from Cleveland?

Also, despite his way of running the team, he does care about the franchise.

We've always heard (known?) he cares about the team. However, he wants to run it the way he believes.
Most of us just don't agree with the way he runs the team.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 05:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We've always heard (known?) he cares about the team. However, he wants to run it the way he believes.

Exactly

I don't doubt for a second Mike cares about the team and wants to win. His way of getting to the finish line is just umm dated.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 05:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We've always heard (known?) he cares about the team. However, he wants to run it the way he believes.

Actions speak louder than words. 
As one who has openly questioned that he cares about anything besides the money, this tells me I was wrong. I had no idea about his streak. Impressive. 
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
I've never been a fan of Mike Brown as a GM. I think he is stuck in old ways of doing things. I believe this last year has shown that maybe he is letting others have a bit more control and make more decisions. That said, I do think he is a decent person who loves his team and has respect for his players. This article reinforces that. Thanks for sharing.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
My reading comprehension has always been poor, but did they say why he isn’t going?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 06:21 PM)Dean_Gilberry95 Wrote: My reading comprehension has always been poor, but did they say why he isn’t going?

Covid-19 and being at a high risk due to his age.

Quote:But never has there been a road game during a pandemic. So the streak ends at 824 straight games.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 06:21 PM)Dean_Gilberry95 Wrote: My reading comprehension has always been poor, but did they say why he isn’t going?

Pandemic issues if I'm reading it correctly.

Reply/Quote
In 52 years, Mike Brown has never missed a Bengals regular-season game and has only missed 1 preseason game. That streak ends tomorrow. 85-year-old Mike is not risking travel in the era of COVID. The one preseason game he missed was the week Paul died.

Whatever else you can say about him....that is an incredible streak

sorry...missed the other thread

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Is JB still around the team? I would think he’s into high risk territory at his age as well.

Reply/Quote
I got to me both him and his wife very nice conversation so glad they cared so much about cincy to keep team here.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 08:17 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I got to me both him and his wife very nice conversation so glad they cared so much about cincy to keep team here.

Wait, are you insinuating that the Browns kept the Bengals here primarily because they care about the city so much?

Like, the greatest stadium deal in the history of professional sports, had nothing to do with it?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 08:17 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I got to me both him and his wife very nice conversation so glad they cared so much about cincy to keep team here.

Huh?
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
This is how I picture Mike around the office this year.

[Image: bd06d556-dwighthazmat.jpg?fit=1024%2C616&ssl=1]
Reply/Quote
Impressive streak, that is all I can say. If I had an NFL team I would want to go to all the games myself.

I am just too damn poor lol
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 08:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This is how I picture Mike around the office this year.

[Image: bd06d556-dwighthazmat.jpg?fit=1024%2C616&ssl=1]

With hair?

Reply/Quote
I don't get why anyone would be surprised to learn MB cares for this team. He shows it over and over and over. He isn't the best GM and his ways are the old ways, but he has always cared about his team. Look at what he did for Leah Still for instance. Look at how many players he has given a chance to redeem themselves. He's always there, on the golf cart. Does anyone think Robert Kraft is around as much as MB?
MB's problem has never been caring about the team.....
Reply/Quote
Nice article. My dad is 87 and I gave up the season tickets I had owned since 98 a couple years ago. We still watch all the games together. Really hoping and praying that they win one Super Bowl while my dad is around to see it. I would like to see it for Mr. Brown as well.
Reply/Quote