Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saying goodbye to an old friend today.....
Today, I have to take my best friend of 16 years to meet her end.  Doc says surgery will be over a grand, with a 15% chance she makes it out the other side.  If she does make it, they wouldn't expect her to live more than a year.  So, I had to make the toughest call I've ever had to make, I have to take my beloved sidekick to be euthanized.  God.....I hate this, I've been distraught the last two days.  I'm going to miss her......

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sorry to hear that Wyche. I had that exact same situation with my dog several years back. It is painful, but it is the right decision. And you are actually doing her a good service by ending her pain.

Her memory will always be a blessing for you.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 10:38 AM)Wyche Wrote: Today, I have to take my best friend of 16 years to meet her end.  Doc says surgery will be over a grand, with a 15% chance she makes it out the other side.  If she does make it, they wouldn't expect her to live more than a year.  So, I had to make the toughest call I've ever had to make, I have to take my beloved sidekick to be euthanized.  God.....I hate this, I've been distraught the last two days.  I'm going to miss her......

Damn....I hate this for you. Been through this more than once myself, and honestly have yet to find much comfort in anything during this. You've done your best, and like 'Zona said, you will have great memories coming. Peace, my Brother.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I know the pain you're feeling. Had to do this once myself. It is very much like losing a family member. My thoughts are with you on this sad occasion my friend.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Like the others, I've also been in your shoes. My heart truly goes out to you and your family.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
give her a nice meal a decent car ride and a good long sit session (sit down on her level and love on her)

Its a hard decision to make but not letting your best friend suffer is the right decision
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 12:38 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: give her a nice meal a decent car ride and a good long sit session (sit down on her level and love on her)

Its a hard decision to make but not letting your best friend suffer is the right decision

Thanks man....she had steak and some pork loin yesterday. I've taken off early, I'm home with her now....she just had a double cheeseburger combo from Wendy's. I sat with her all last night and did just what you said. We're doing it for the last time right now. Then we'll take a nice ride in a bit.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 01:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: Thanks man....she had steak and some pork loin yesterday. I've taken off early, I'm home with her now....she just had a double cheeseburger combo from Wendy's. I sat with her all last night and did just what you said. We're doing it for the last time right now. Then we'll take a nice ride in a bit.

had to put my childhood friend named buttons down for biting a trespasser...  Such a sad day.

My girl now is 14 years old I believe (we have had her for 13)   had a couple scares already  But we know that day is coming.

Sorry for your loss.  They always take a piece of us with them
Reply/Quote
Heart rending situation Wyche but you want to end the suffering asap.
Dogs maybe better than some people. Dogs love with out conditions if we treat them halfway right.
They don't tell our secrets or borrow money.They wont leave us for someone richer,taller, thinner, younger, etc.
It is a tuff task ahead of you but you will find the strength.Perhaps the vet will make a housecall so the dog can stay in familiar surroundings.
Sorry for the loss of your family member.
Reply/Quote
Oh man...I'm sorry for you Wyche.  Tough place to be right now.  Dogs are way better than people. I have an old dog at home right now.  He's 12 and a half and his day is coming sooner than I want it to.  He's been with me thru thick and thin, good times and bad.  I try to cherish every day I get with him now.  I'll definitely give him a big hug tonight when I get home for you. 

Hang in there my friend.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Man Wyche, very sorry to hear this. Very good advice on here and it true. I know for my wife and I, we had two dogs that were best friends and best friends to us as well. When one had gotten sick and we had to make that decision, we also made the decision to cremate and keep her ashes. Not appealing to some, but does kinda feel like she's still here in some way. I think the other dog feels her as well. Unfortunately, we will have to make that decision again very soon and we are not looking forward to it. There will be a void for awhile but as mentioned above, those memories you will have forever. Good luck my brother!

Reply/Quote
This is why Vietnamese pot belly pigs make such great pets. It is sad when it is time for them to go, but it is also delicious.
Reply/Quote
Sorry to hear that Wyche, it's hard I know I've been there as well.
Reply/Quote
One of the reasons I don't want another pet is I grew very weary of losing past pets. I get very attached then inevitably i either outlive them, they run away or something comes up where I'm forced to move and can't take them with me. I had to leave a great old dog in Texas when I had no other way to get back to Ohio other than the bus.. That sucked.. I left her with my sister then she began biting people so she couldn't keep her . The time I had her she was about as loyal and loving as a dog could be, but she just couldn't adapt to a new environment ..
As much as I really love dogs and even cats I hate it when it has to come to an end   .. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2018, 12:49 PM)grampahol Wrote: One of the reasons I don't want another pet is I grew very weary of losing past pets. I get very attached then inevitably i either outlive them, they run away or something comes up where I'm forced to move and can't take them with me. I had to leave a great old dog in Texas when I had no other way to get back to Ohio other than the bus.. That sucked.. I left her with my sister then she began biting people so she couldn't keep her . The time I had her she was about as loyal and loving as a dog could be, but she just couldn't adapt to a new environment ..
As much as I really love dogs and even cats I hate it when it has to come to an end   .. 

Absolutely....I had to leave my Rotty with my folks when I went off to school. However, I was able to go visit....nothing like what you're talking about. That would have to be rough.  I'd say it was tough on her....why she lashed out. 

Reply/Quote
Hate to hear that man. I had to do the same a year and a half or so ago.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Sorry for your loss wyche. We had to do the same for our yellow lab last October

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
We know this day will come when we get our pets, and we still do it, because as bad as this feels, it's worth it. Also, thinking about a new one feels like betrayal, but it's not.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2018, 03:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: We know this day will come when we get our pets, and we still do it, because as bad as this feels, it's worth it.  Also, thinking about a new one feels like betrayal, but it's not.

Good post.  Very true.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2018, 03:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: We know this day will come when we get our pets, and we still do it, because as bad as this feels, it's worth it.  Also, thinking about a new one feels like betrayal, but it's not.

It is worth it.  My kids wanted a puppy, so we got a Walker Coonhound pup last September (Dollar was a lab/Bluetick mix).  It gave her a companion for her last days, and she helped teach the pup.  The little girl has some awfully big paws to fill, but she's workin on it. 

Thanks guys, for all of the kind words, means a lot.

Reply/Quote