Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schedule - Good and Bad News
This take says Bengals have 25th easiest path to the Super Bowl. That is good news. Bad news is Browns have 29 easiest and real daggar is Pats have 32 easiest or best schedule in the NFL.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/who-has-the-toughest-road-to-super-bowl-54-ranking-the-path-for-all-32-nfl-teams/

How is that even possible for New England?

Anyone want to alter their win projections in Fred's thread now?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Eh, the teams besides New England change every year...

Schedule toughness is like a roller coaster. Never know what team will come from nowhere and be tough.

Hopefully it is us and we give the Pats a tough game and even beat them.

Think our D-line will give Brady some trouble barring injuries.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 08:11 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This take says Bengals have 25th easiest path to the Super Bowl. That is good news. Bad news is Browns have 29 easiest and real daggar is Pats have 32 easiest or best schedule in the NFL.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/who-has-the-toughest-road-to-super-bowl-54-ranking-the-path-for-all-32-nfl-teams/

A quote from the article:

Quote:...

The easiest way to rank each schedule in the NFL is to use strength of schedule, but we decided to throw that out the window, because that's not exactly the most efficient way to rate schedule difficulty. Instead, we came up with our own formula to rank each schedule. 

In other words, they pulled it out of their arse. It gets clicks I imagine.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 08:58 PM)BengalChris Wrote: A quote from the article:

In fairness, I did say their take on it.

Tongue   Cool   Wink

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 08:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, the teams besides New England change every year...

Schedule toughness is like a roller coaster. Never know what team will come from nowhere and be tough.

Hopefully it is us and we give the Pats a tough game and even beat them.

Think our D-line will give Brady some trouble barring injuries.

I was at game at home when we beat the Pats. First drive Geno came through untouched and Brady went to ground quickly. Set tone for entire game. We won in spite of a fumble by Gio. Last drive for Pats was driving rain storm.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 09:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: In fairness, I did say their take on it.

Tongue   Cool   Wink

You did, you did.

Reply/Quote

Actually might have some merit cause it is CBS sports and not ESPN and not strength of schedule.

SOS means nothing unless you are playing the exact teams from last season which is impossible.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 09:03 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I was at game at home when we beat the Pats. First drive Geno came through untouched and Brady went to ground quickly. Set tone for entire game. We won in spite of a fumble by Gio. Last drive for Pats was driving rain storm.

Awesome game. The Lord was with us on that last drive.

The walking tree got one...
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 09:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Awesome game. The Lord was with us on that last drive.

The walking tree got one...

Yep, only time in my life I was praying to rain harder when Brady got the ball. I think Adam Jones got interception at goal line to seal the win.

A fun day and same year we also beat Rodgers and the Pack at home.

Reply/Quote
New England will always have one of the easiest schedules in the league because their division is terrible. When was the last time anyone said "oh, you better watch out for the Jets/Dolphins/Bills"?

Let's be honest, though - it's not like we're going to be fighting them for a playoff spot, so if someone in the league has to have an easier schedule it might as well be them. Hopefully we've got it easier than the Ravens/Texans/Titans/Steelers/Chargers, because those are more likely who we'll be fighting for positioning with if things go well IMO.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 10:06 PM)NKURyan Wrote: New England will always have one of the easiest schedules in the league because their division is terrible. When was the last time anyone said "oh, you better watch out for the Jets/Dolphins/Bills"?

Let's be honest, though - it's not like we're going to be fighting them for a playoff spot, so if someone in the league has to have an easier schedule it might as well be them. Hopefully we've got it easier than the Ravens/Texans/Titans/Steelers/Chargers, because those are more likely who we'll be fighting for positioning with if things go well IMO.

All you mentioned have much tougher schedules. But Browns improved roster and easy schedule is not good for us. Chargers may not have Gordon to start season and a tough schedule.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 10:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: All you mentioned have much tougher schedules. But Browns improved roster and easy schedule is not good for us. Chargers may not have Gordon to start season and a tough schedule.

Teams play what 2 different games than teams in their division?

The Browns schedule is easier than ours because they play us twice and we're considered a bad team in this system.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 10:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: All you mentioned have much tougher schedules. But Browns improved roster and easy schedule is not good for us. Chargers may not have Gordon to start season and a tough schedule.

True, but it's apparently a sure thing that they're going to win the division anyways according to the scuttlebutt around here.

We play Oakland and Jacksonville, they play Denver and Tennessee... that's probably a push. They just get two games against a 6 win Cincinnati team that we don't get to play.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 10:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Teams play what 2 different games than teams in their division?

The Browns schedule is easier than ours because they play us twice and we're considered a bad team in this system.

I think we play 3 different games, but even 2 is a big deal

8-8 can become 10-6 for example

The margin of wins and losses to get into playoffs is not big. That is why so many teams are alive heading into week 17 each year

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 10:50 PM)NKURyan Wrote: True, but it's apparently a sure thing that they're going to win the division anyways according to the scuttlebutt around here.

We play Oakland and Jacksonville, they play Denver and Tennessee... that's probably a push. They just get two games against a 6 win Cincinnati team that we don't get to play.

I have not anointed the Browns to win our division. I think defending champ Ravens are the favorite. That puts us in a wild card fight (hopefully , but never know we could win the division or win 5 games).

Reply/Quote

There does look to be some logic in how they did it. Putting more emphasis on the first 3 games because of the huge difference in teams that start 2-1/3-0 or 1-2/0-3, less emphasis on end of season games (obviously--resting starters) and in where games are played, ex: Pitt going to NE and Pitt hosting Miami on a Monday night. 

It's mostly subjective and not super reliable...but it is interesting and has some solid reasoning backing it up.  

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I remember a time when people were poopooing Bengals winning seasons because of the perceived weakness of the schedule. Can't we just go back to unreasonable reasoning? I think I speak for everyone's that's not a football fan when I say I'm tired of logic in an illogical game.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 08:11 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This take says Bengals have 25th easiest path to the Super Bowl. That is good news. Bad news is Browns have 29 easiest and real daggar is Pats have 32 easiest or best schedule in the NFL.

It is possible because the Pats division has been pathetic for some time now.  It seems like the Jets might be interesting, but when you start the season with 6 wins, it is easier to just win 5 of the next 10.  They also stay fresh and don't need to show everything in the regular season.  
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2019, 07:56 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It is possible because the Pats division has been pathetic for some time now.  It seems like the Jets might be interesting, but when you start the season with 6 wins, it is easier to just win 5 of the next 10.  They also stay fresh and don't need to show everything in the regular season.  

Good point on Pats, their division has been weak for a very long time now. AFN on other hand has had Ravens and Steelers consistently in playoff hunt and for a while us. Looks like Browns improvement adds them to the lost, we may be in most competitive 4 team race in league.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 11:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think we play 3 different games, but even 2 is a big deal

8-8 can become 10-6 for example

The margin of wins and losses to get into playoffs is not big. That is why so many teams are alive heading into week 17 each year

All of AFCN plays:
6 divisional games
AFC East
NFC West

Then they play the corresponding rank in the AFC South and AFC West

So it's just a difference of 2 games outside of the division.
Bengals - JAX and OAK
Browns - TEN and DEN
Ravens - HOU and KC
Steelers - IND and LAC
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote