Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schefter: CB Sam Beal is petitioning the NCAA to become eligible for NFL's supp draft
Full tweet:

Western Michigan CB Sam Beal is petitioning the NCAA to become eligible for NFL's supplemental draft next month, when he could become highest player selected since Browns used a 2nd-round supplemental pick on WR Josh Gordon in 2012, per league sources.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1004371014002802688

Worth throwing a bid at him? I know we drafted two corners but Beal is projected as a first rounder next year. It couldn't hurt to at least bid a 4th round pick for that sort of talent. It sounds like he originally thought about entering the draft this year, decided not to, but now has changed his mind again.  it turns out he failed out of school and that is the reason he wants to enter the draft now. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2018, 01:56 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Full tweet:

Western Michigan CB Sam Beal is petitioning the NCAA to become eligible for NFL's supplemental draft next month, when he could become highest player selected since Browns used a 2nd-round supplemental pick on WR Josh Gordon in 2012, per league sources.

Worth throwing a bid at him? I know we drafted two corners but Beal is projected as a first rounder next year. It couldn't hurt to at least bid a 4th round pick for that sort of talent. It sounds like he originally thought about entering the draft this year, decided not to, but now has changed his mind again.  it turns out he failed out of school and that is the reason he wants to enter the draft now. 

Well.... If they think there is a need at CB I don't mind throwing out a next year pick to get one today.

Not sure what we got in the couple we drafted this year... So behind Dre Dennard and WJIII there isn't much proven depth at the moment so get the guys with the most upside in there.

Now if we go do this and those other guys play well he will probly sit the bench for a year or 2....  Which will anger some fans. lol
Reply/Quote
I guess the big question will be if he can play slot. The team won’t cut Dre for a while, WJ3 is a huge star in the making, and they’re the boundary corners. Dennard came on last year and did a good job in the slot. However, this is his last year, and I don’t see us re-signing him. The team will want money for WJ3 in the future and we know how they love to roll over money.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I haven't looked the guy up, but failing out of college is pretty hard to do, especially if you're a football player taking easy classes (I know it's not the case all the time but let's not kid ourselves....... most aren't taking engineering classes) and your only job is to basically show up for enough classes that you don't miss the maximum allowed, so I'm not sure how much I'm interested in this dude.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2018, 01:56 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Full tweet:

Beal has the talent to be the number 1 corner in the draft next year (had he been able to stay in school).  I honestly think we need to make a move for this guy and I wouldn't mind throwing next year's third rounder at him.  We will get 3-4 comp picks next year that we can move around in the draft and try to make up for the lost pick.

C12Schleyer

[Image: 175fb1ebe161ecda7fb32824e3682755.jpg]
Reply/Quote
IF you want him, probably going to need to bid a 2nd rounder for him.
Reply/Quote
I have no problem bidding a 2nd rounder. Would probably mean the end of Dennard, but it is what it is.

Sent from my N9517 using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 09:45 AM)c12schleyer Wrote: Beal has the talent to be the number 1 corner in the draft next year (had he been able to stay in school).  I honestly think we need to make a move for this guy and I wouldn't mind throwing next year's third rounder at him.  We will get 3-4 comp picks next year that we can move around in the draft and try to make up for the lost pick.

But is he a smart player?
Reply/Quote
I know WalterFootball likes him as a late round 1/early round 2 type. But I am seeing some varying opinions on him. I've also seen him listed as the 24th ranked cb next year.

He is listed number 257 on this big board
https://www.footballcouchscout.com/big-board
Reply/Quote
Supplemental draft picks often get a bad rap b/c of huge busts like Brian Bosworth, Steve Walsh, Tim Rosenbach, Dave Brown, etc. But there have been plenty of good ones -- Chris Carter, Bernie Kosar, Rob Moore, Jamal Williams ... even Ahmed Brooks and Josh Gordon had their moments. I read somewhere that the chances of getting a pro bowler out of the supplemental draft is actually greater than the regular draft, although that's maybe not a fair comparison since there's only 1-2 supplemental picks per year (if that) vs. 250 regular picks.

I'd gladly take a chance on Beal in 4, as I think he has a chance to be a very good outside corner. I could see him going as high as 3, though.
Reply/Quote
The blog below is from an Eagles site, but I think this may be the mindset of most teams as a bare minimum bid for each of these three. I think teams will put in a 3rd rd bid for him especially if they have a need post draft, 2nd round is a pretty rich investment and you'd have to have scouted him in depth with high marks.

My money is on Cincy trusting their judgement of their 5th round investments battling out Russell for the last few corner spots. They know Phillips is a heck of a playmaker in the slot, and that a constant pass rush with their rotation may lead to even more opportunities. They took Harris to be a ST guy early and develop him as an outside guy that can still defend the run. I just don't see them making a bid on Beal as opposed to the bids he will get.

I think it's more likely they throw a low investment at one of the other two, and it would really come down to how Austin wants to use the DB's this year rather than just raw talent. If they're sincere about using more 3 safety looks, then my money is on them using that 7th round bid on Brandon Bryant if anyone. Iloka, Bates, Williams and Fejedelem give them enough depth there on Sundays, and Bryant can either be developed as an inactive for the SS/NLB spot to eventually push for PT or be put on the PS. A mid 7th isn't a big investment in case someone snatches him off of the PS. I think they'd be too paranoid that this could happen with Alexander, Harris or Phillips, even knowing you'll have comp picks next year to work with.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/6/11/17449902/nfl-supplemental-draft-2018-eagles-philadelphia-sam-beal-adonis-alexander-brandon-bryant-cornerback
Reply/Quote
And Beal is done for the Season

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/25/giants-lose-supplemental-draft-pick-sam-beal-to-shoulder-injury/
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 05:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: And Beal is done for the Season

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/25/giants-lose-supplemental-draft-pick-sam-beal-to-shoulder-injury/

Tough break.  I'll bet Giants fans are pissed that they gave up a 3rd round pick for him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 06:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Tough break.  I'll bet Giants fans are pissed that they gave up a 3rd round pick for him.

well its a next year pick so as long as he plays next year not much lost
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 01:22 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I guess the big question will be if he can play slot. The team won’t cut Dre for a while, WJ3 is a huge star in the making, and they’re the boundary corners. Dennard came on last year and did a good job in the slot. However, this is his last year, and I don’t see us re-signing him. The team will want money for WJ3 in the future and we know how they love to roll over money.

just gotta say i love your avatar. KOTH is the best animated show ever
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote