Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scheme change?
I’ve been thinking a lot lately about our horrid defense. We’ve been bad for a couple years now, and I mean record setting bad. Anyways, I’ve been wondering how we could possibly even fix this and have no clue. Players just aren’t producing. What would it take for a scheme change to a 3-4? I wanted to see what the boards insight was as to which players could make that transition, or would we have to blow this thing up completely. Also, would a 3-4 even help our problems? Teams run and pass on us all day, maybe it’s time for a change? Discuss.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 04:07 AM)RCBengalsFan Wrote: I’ve been thinking a lot lately about our horrid defense.  We’ve been bad for a couple years now, and I mean record setting bad. Anyways, I’ve been wondering how we could possibly even fix this and have no clue.  Players just aren’t producing.  What would it take for a scheme change to a 3-4? I wanted to see what the boards insight was as to which players could make that transition, or would we have to blow this thing up completely.  Also, would a 3-4 even help our problems?  Teams run and pass on us all day, maybe it’s time for a change? Discuss.

We do not have the backers or personnel for 3-4.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 05:15 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: We do not have the backers or personnel for 3-4.  

Obviously not this year. But for the future. Do you think we should stick with a 4-3 or try something different. And if we did switch what would we need/who could we keep.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 05:15 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: We do not have the backers or personnel for 3-4.  

We do not have the backers or personnel for a 4-3 either! 
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 04:07 AM)RCBengalsFan Wrote: I’ve been thinking a lot lately about our horrid defense.  We’ve been bad for a couple years now, and I mean record setting bad. Anyways, I’ve been wondering how we could possibly even fix this and have no clue.  Players just aren’t producing.  What would it take for a scheme change to a 3-4? I wanted to see what the boards insight was as to which players could make that transition, or would we have to blow this thing up completely.  Also, would a 3-4 even help our problems?  Teams run and pass on us all day, maybe it’s time for a change? Discuss.

More LBs on the field with this roster would be even worse, if that is possible.

The talent at LB is a gaping hole in the middle of the defense and makes it easy for opposing teams.  They need two solid FA LBs and they would be vastly improved.  See what this roster was like with a healthy Burfict vs. without him. 

Now, Reuben Foster was a complete moron, but I can see why Marv wanted a first-round talent at LB over Ross based on how thin the LB corps was behind Burfict. 
Reply/Quote
The best defenses in history ran a base 4-3 with occasional 3-4 “looks.” The Purple People Eaters, the Doomsday Defense, the Steel Curtain, the ‘85 Bears, and the ‘00 Ravens all ran a base 4-3. When Mike Zimmer was in Cincinnati, the Bengals had good to great defenses.

Currently the Bengals have neither the personnel nor the coaches to make any sort of switch to a base 3-4 defense. Linebackers in a 3-4 scheme have to be sure tacklers and very fast; ours can be timed with a sundial. Also, defensive tackles are not nose tackles; you can’t just move them over half a spot and say, “Do your thing, big guy.”
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: More LBs on the field with this roster would be even worse, if that is possible.

The talent at LB is a gaping hole in the middle of the defense and makes it easy for opposing teams.  They need two solid FA LBs and they would be vastly improved.  See what this roster was like with a healthy Burfict vs. without him. 

Now, Reuben Foster was a complete moron, but I can see why Marv wanted a first-round talent at LB over Ross based on how thin the LB corps was behind Burfict. 

Agree, they have to get a couple top notch LBers this offseason, have to ! 
Reply/Quote
With our current personnel, switching to a 3-4 would be like trying to cram square pegs into round holes.

Running an effective 3-4 requires having 4 good LBs, each with defined and specific skill sets. Right now, the Bengals can't even field 3 average LBs with general skill sets.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have been running alot of odd fronts this year which is a 34 scheme...They are using Hubbard and recently Lawson as 34 OLB.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

LOL.  We don't have the backers to run any scheme.  They're all awful with the exception of possibly Pratt.  The whole position group needs and has needed rebuilt for the last 2 years.  That current personnel group shouldn't dictate anything relating to scheme.  They need at least 3 new ones regardless.
Reply/Quote

In a 3-4 the LB's are the stars of the defense.

I could not think of a worse fit for us than a 3-4. We basically play 2 LB's now and can't even find 2 good ones. We'd need to find 4.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:42 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The best defenses in history ran a base 4-3 with occasional 3-4 “looks.”  The Purple People Eaters, the Doomsday Defense, the Steel Curtain, the ‘85 Bears, and the ‘00 Ravens all ran a base 4-3.  When Mike Zimmer was in Cincinnati, the Bengals had good to great defenses.

Currently the Bengals have neither the personnel nor the coaches to make any sort of switch to a base 3-4 defense.  Linebackers in a 3-4 scheme have to be sure tacklers and very fast; ours can be timed with a sundial.  Also, defensive tackles are not nose tackles; you can’t just move them over half a spot and say, “Do your thing, big guy.”

Defenses and schemes run in the 60s have no bearing on today's game. Just ask Bill Belichick. You adapt and move on.
Reply/Quote
If there was ever a time to change it would be now when there are not many players worth keeping on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 01:39 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If there was ever a time to change it would be now when there are not many players worth keeping on the roster.

Imagine them(Bengals brain trust)trying to build a 3-4 from the ground up.

What a complete shitshow this team is.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5620710]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:42 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With our current personnel, switching to a 3-4 would be like trying to cram square pegs into round holes.  

Running an effective 3-4 requires having 4 good LBs, each with defined and specific skill sets.  Right now, the Bengals can't even field 3 average LBs with general skill sets.

(12-01-2019, 12:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In a 3-4 the LB's are the stars of the defense.

I could not think of a worse fit for us than a 3-4. We basically play 2 LB's now and can't even find 2 good ones. We'd need to find 4.

They are already running a ton of 34 looks right now and it's not really just "Linebackers". 

They have a ton of guys that can actually make the switch fairly easily. Sam Hubbard, Carlos Dunlap, and Carl Lawson can all fill one of the linebacker roles as they are essentially a down lineman. Brown, Geno, Wren, Topou, Wren, Billings, Hubbard, and Dunlap can all fill interior positions in a rotation. They need help with the 2 off the ball linebackers and that's true in either defense they run 43 or 34. Germaine Pratt looks to be coming along but they need to add more there starter and depth.

What they really need to make the switch is a Jack Linebacker that they dont have...I just posted in the Draft forum that K'Lavon Chaisson would fill this role perfectly.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 12:01 PM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals have been running alot of odd fronts this year which is a 34 scheme...They are using Hubbard and recently Lawson as 34 OLB.

I think they can pull off a 3-4 if they got a good LB or two to man the middle.

OLB - Lawson and Hubbard
ILB - Pratt and new LB
DE - Dunlap and Atkins
NT - Billings or Tupou
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote