Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schobert gone
(03-17-2020, 04:36 PM)McC Wrote: The Raiders were too busy signing two better guys.

I don't have a problem keeping Vigil but not a a big number and absolutely not if he's our best LB.

Yep.  Tired of this team's lame ass excuses.  I'm sure they just tried their widdle hearts out to get him to come to Cincinnati.  They'll point to that as an example of their newfound aggressiveness. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 04:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: hard to compete with no income tax ask MJ93     While bengals offer fair market deals we rarely try and overpay for players.  We lost this bidding war..  OR Schobert just choose Jacksonville.  Its not always about that 1 to 2 million sometimes there are other factors.

Like maybe he likes trips to london

Let's face it: Free agents are still using the Bengals to leverage with other teams. We would've not only had to match but offer probably 10-20% more than Jacksonville for them to come here.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 04:40 PM)caneyoufeelit Wrote: Let's face it: Free agents are still using the Bengals to leverage with other teams. We would've not only had to match but offer probably 10-20% more than Jacksonville for them to come here.  

Please, by this point a player threatening to sign with the Bengals is like a 6 year old kid threatening to run away from home if you make him eat his green beans.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 04:34 PM)samhain Wrote: Yes!  Now I can buy my Nick Vigina Vaginal fart jersey when he get's his 5 year 40 mil extension!  Stupid Raiders and Gunther.  Really hoped they'd sign him to prevent this from happening.

If you can provide proof that you have a Bengals jersey with "NICK VIGINA VAGINAL FART" on the back, I'll make sure you are compensated.

Money can't buy those kinds of laughs, and I don't know of anything that would convince my wife to allow me to do it. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Same as it ever was.......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 04:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I mean, Jeremy Fowler of ESPN - which seems like a credible source - says we just weren't willing to match Jacksonville's offer...which implies that he would've signed if we'd matched. Either way, our offer wasn't competitive. We always seem to be the team who isn't willing to slightly overpay...which normally isn't a terrible thing, but when you are sitting on this much cap space, that would be the time to not nickel and dime it.

Whatever though. I'm sure all will be fine, just as it has for the last 30 years. Since free agency was implemented.

Free agents? We don't need no stinking free agents! We're getting rid of Dalton! Soopeeeer Bowz!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Yeah, we will not have a legit middle linebacker this year in all likelihood. More of the same (trying to find a diamond in the rough).

At least we get Burrow and draft first in every round.

This Dalton trade is our last chance to pull a rabbit out of our hat; but the market is telling me our return will be minimal.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 03:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am not happy either. Are we even looking at players? Haven't heard anything but the Wolfe visit.

I thought the Bengals front office was working from home this week.  Typical excuses from the team about how they were in a bidding war or just came up short.  It's kind of funny how they trot Tobin out there every time they need to make a statement about free agency.  

Not surprisingly, this year looks exactly like most free agency periods where GM Mike Brown has ALWAYS had his fingers in the mix.  But wait, didn't you hear? We signed AJ Green!  Whatever

Just before the draft, Palmer might just come out and give Joe a big "I told you so" after the FA dust settles.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 04:00 PM)pally Wrote:

If it wasn't Jacksonville, it would've been somebody else willing to pay more than the Bengals. Have the Bengals ever out-bid anyone else for a free agent worth a shit?
Reply/Quote
New Dey!
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
The problem here is not only do we lose out on Schobert, we lose out on time.

While we were concentrating on a losing effort with Schobert, other free agents and trades are just flying off the board.

We move at a sloth's pace and fail to sign our first target, now what?

This legal tampering period makes the cream of the crop disappear in the blink of an eye.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I know I'm in the minority but I'm glad they didnt sign Joe Schobert. He was my second most overrated Free Agent behind Clowney.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 05:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The problem here is not only do we lose out on Schobert, we lose out on time.

While we were concentrating on a losing effort with Schobert, other free agents and trades are just flying off the board.

We move at a sloth's pace and fail to sign our first target, now what?

This legal tampering period makes the cream of the crop disappear in the blink of an eye.

What's funny is that we will sign some middle to lower tier free agents, if were lucky, and some will still think "We knocked it outta the park!" or at least be satisfied with the scraps we signed. Just look at who we already missed out on. Did other teams overpay? Most assuredly they did, but never us. NEVER! Then to piss on the parade you'll have Hobspin with his usual spin and Troy Blackburn say," What should we have done? Just can't go to Walmart and pick quality free agents off the rack." I guess Mike Brown and crew are counting on the draft to get fans up to the "STOKED" level on the "Fan-o-meter". Works every time.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 05:23 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: What's funny is that we will sign some middle to lower tier free agents, if were lucky, and some will still think "We knocked it outta the park!" or at least be satisfied with the scraps we signed. Just look at who we already missed out on. Did other teams overpay? Most assuredly they did, but never us. NEVER! Then to piss on the parade you'll have Hobspin with his usual spin and Troy Blackburn say," What should we have done? Just can't go to Walmart and pick quality free agents off the rack." I guess Mike Brown and crew are counting on the draft to get fans up to the "STOKED" level on the "Fan-o-meter". Works every time.

While I can't see going the Miami route and overpaying a slew of guys, which they seemingly did(they sure didn't learn that from BillyB), but overpaying one guy who makes you better doesn't exactly strike me as the crime of the century. Andi f he does make you better, it doesn't even end up being overpaying.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 04:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Free agents arent always smart... Last time Dolphins did that...  Most of them didn't see year 2 of their contracts.

Well did you see that they are getting a big chunk of it guaranteed?
I could live with that.

Byron Jones
5 yrs/$85.5 Mil with 67% ($57mil) guaranteed?

So fine, 3 years at $74 mil paid out. Now I got paid $24 mil/year and am ready to hit the market again at the age of 30.

Schobert got 42% guaranteed.
So after 3 years of his 5 year $53.75 deal he will get $41.25 mil of it and be 29.
Reply/Quote
Just read that the Bengals are competing right now with the Broncos for DJ Reader. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 04:40 PM)samhain Wrote: Yep.  Tired of this team's lame ass excuses.  I'm sure they just tried their widdle hearts out to get him to come to Cincinnati.  They'll point to that as an example of their newfound aggressiveness. 

I'm with you on that and then they'll throw in the franchise is moving toward a new era after they pick Burrow #1.  The future is bright! We have Burrow, buy a jersey, & come see a game.  They only need to convince casual fans things are looking better.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 05:26 PM)McC Wrote: While I can't see going the Miami route and overpaying a slew of guys, which they seemingly did(they sure didn't learn that from BillyB), but overpaying one guy who makes you better doesn't exactly strike me as the crime of the century.  Andi f he does make you better, it doesn't even end up being overpaying.

You would think that going 2-14, their latest slogan being "It's a NEW DEY", and freeing up some capital by releasing Glenn, removing Dalton's 17mil. off the books, even if they end up just having to cut him, that they could "Splurge" just this one time on a position or two that's in dire need of an upgrade as in the O line or Linebacker position.
Reply/Quote