Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schumer: Trump and GOP agree to protect DACA w/o funding the Wall
(09-14-2017, 10:09 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Do you have any idea the protocol to obtain a visa then a green card?

I love how you act like DACA is some great thing.   Yes the under 18 children are a concern.   But these over 18's have had plenty of them to get themselves right with the law.    They obviously don't care about the laws.    They only did daca because obama promised then they wouldn't be deported.

I asked the question because the argument being made against DACA cites several things that in reality the people in that group are doing.  It's not to undermine those going through a different process.  It's to explain that there is a legitimate process for a group that would get swallowed up in the green card system through no fault of their own.

In the end though I'll assume the answer to my question is "no".

Quote: But these over 18's have had plenty of them to get themselves right with the law.    They obviously don't care about the laws.    They only did daca because obama promised then they wouldn't be deported.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-14-2017, 09:57 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: People who have openly thwarted the law for up to 18 years.   The people who have actually needed to wait to get visas then endless paperwork and time to get green cards are the ones being screwed.    I'm sure they would have preferred to sneak across the border like a thief in the night.   If you don't force people to respect your laws then what's the point.

That's fine, but it's not even close to throwing people into camps. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-14-2017, 10:14 AM)GMDino Wrote: I asked the question because the argument being made against DACA cites several things that in reality the people in that group are doing.  It's not to undermine those going through a different process.  It's to explain that there is a legitimate process for a group that would get swallowed up in the green card system through no fault of their own.

In the end though I'll assume the answer to my question is "no".

Also, they don't qualify because they were brought here illegally. So kids who only know the US as a home would have to leave the US and wait months or years to become citizens. 

DACA gave them a legal status as residents. If it went a step forward and gave them a pathway to citizenship, they would most likely take it.

(09-14-2017, 10:31 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Also, they don't qualify because they were brought here illegally. So kids who only know the US as a home would have to leave the US and wait months or years to become citizens. 

DACA gave them a legal status as residents. If it went a step forward and gave them a pathway to citizenship, they would most likely take it.

Yep.  It's just another path for those who would fall through the cracks of a different one.

Complete with rules and risks and costs.
(09-14-2017, 08:45 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yea, giving people who have lived in this country nearly their whole lives the ability to get visas is as bad as putting citizens into internment camps because of their ethnicity. 

And throw in a racial slur for good measure...

It took 15 posts for someone to point out that this dude used a racial slur in his post.

That's rough.

Is this just one of those 'acceptable racial slurs', or is everyone just desensitized to this guy using them?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(09-14-2017, 10:41 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: It took 15 posts for someone to point out that this dude used a racial slur in his post.

That's rough.

Is this just one of those 'acceptable racial slurs', or is everyone just desensitized to this guy using them?

it was two separate threads at first. In his thread, I was the 3rd post. But the answer is the latter 

(09-14-2017, 10:57 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: it was two separate threads at first. In his thread, I was the 3rd post. But the answer is the latter 

Since it was combined with American, I just saw it as an abbreviation not an attempt at a slur.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-14-2017, 10:59 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Since it was combined with American, I just saw it as an abbreviation not an attempt at a slur.  

I don't think it has been in common usage as an abbreviation since the 40's. 

(09-14-2017, 12:27 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/09/13/report-trump-caves-on-daca-wants-quick-amnesty-for-800k-illegal-aliens/

If he does this will be one of the most disgusting things to happen to this country since the democrats were putting jap Americans into concentration camps.

The country will be ruined by allowing these illegals to have amnesty. Anyone who followed the laws to immigrate here should be refunded for all the time and money spent folllowing the laws.

Just disgusting.

"jap Americans"?
(09-14-2017, 10:59 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Since it was combined with American, I just saw it as an abbreviation not an attempt at a slur.  

Actually I did too.
(09-14-2017, 04:42 AM)hollodero Wrote: LOL yeah, right there on top of disgusting things. It goes concentration camps, DACA amnesty, installing Pinochet and lieing to the world about Iraqi weapons... in that order.

Funny though, that after all the betrayals, lies and empty promises Trump is guilty of this ends up to be the major sin his base doesn't forgive. Talking to Democrats and doing the popular thing, letting some assimilated immigrants stay. Eeeek. 

Oh, also

Ruined? Really?

Yes, ruined! Shit has been going down hill ever since they let those undocumented Pilgrims into Plymouth Rock.
(09-14-2017, 11:11 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I don't think it has been in common usage as an abbreviation since the 40's. 

Well that's how I read it, but I take responsibility for my actions and am ready to receive the full wrath and fury of Johnny.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-14-2017, 09:57 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: People who have openly thwarted the law for up to 18 years.   The people who have actually needed to wait to get visas then endless paperwork and time to get green cards are the ones being screwed.    I'm sure they would have preferred to sneak across the border like a thief in the night.   If you don't force people to respect your laws then what's the point.

I understand why many are upset about some folks getting moved to the front of the line and allowed to stay in a country where, effectively, they're already citizens. But where I struggle with his line of thinking is, that the DACA kids are lawbreakers, what does anyone expect? An elementary age kid to report to social services and say 'excuse me, but I think I'm not supposed to be here'?

These aren't people who spent 18 years cheating on their taxes or committed a felony and hid out for a couple decades. It's unrealistic to think a child is going to deport themselves.
(09-14-2017, 10:31 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Also, they don't qualify because they were brought here illegally. So kids who only know the US as a home would have to leave the US and wait months or years to become citizens. 

IF they can ever become citizens. We only allow a tiny fraction of people who apply for citizenship in. And the system favors wealthy applicants.

But, hey, when you are talking to folks who yell hate speech and insults to a bus full of grade school-aged kids seeking asylum, what can you expect?
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]

You sir would be using common sense.
(09-14-2017, 12:06 PM)Benton Wrote: I understand why many are upset about some folks getting moved to the front of the line and allowed to stay in a country where, effectively, they're already citizens. But where I struggle with his line of thinking is, that the DACA kids are lawbreakers, what does anyone expect? An elementary age kid to report to social services and say 'excuse me, but I think I'm not supposed to be here'?

These aren't people who spent 18 years cheating on their taxes or committed a felony and hid out for a couple decades. It's unrealistic to think a child is going to deport themselves.

For children under 18 you are exactly right. Those 18-36 have had 18 years to get themselves right with the law. Yes the process is a pain and inconvenient but you either follow the laws or you do not..... they could easily go back to their country and apply for a visa then move on to the green card. I do not think it's too much to ask that these people do what we expect any other immigrant to do...... the fees paid and paperwork on top of paperwork for legal immigrants is not something we should be dismissing. I'm sure every legal immigrant would have preferred to cross the border illegally if they were going to save their time and money.
(09-14-2017, 10:41 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: It took 15 posts for someone to point out that this dude used a racial slur in his post.

That's rough.

Settle down and use a bit of common sense.

This is the point a lot of people tend to miss when talking about this. They would have to leave the country, the only one they have known as home, to go somewhere else where they likely have no support structure in place, may not speak the language, etc., in order to then try to come back in legally. For someone that was brought here with no choice in the matter, that seems an illogical process to force them into.
(09-14-2017, 12:32 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is the point a lot of people tend to miss when talking about this. They would have to leave the country, the only one they have known as home, to go somewhere else where they likely have no support structure in place, may not speak the language, etc., in order to then try to come back in legally. For someone that was brought here with no choice in the matter, that seems an illogical process to force them into.

It's not an issue. Most illegal immigrant homes speak Spanish so the idea they couldn't speak the language is a stretch. Going to their country to file paperwork isn't difficult:

I don't mind prioritizing them over other applicants from their country but they should be forced to pay double so the people who actually follow the law are getting the break.
(09-14-2017, 12:28 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Settle down and use a bit of common sense.

[Image: rNkF58H.gif]
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]