Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scooter, What to do?
It’s being reported that as of now, the Reds are not close to an extension with Scooter. The article suggests that the Reds should trade him now if he’s not extended before the season. He’s in the last year of arbitration and should make about 10 million. He’s 29 and a predicted extension was 3-4 years at 14 million per year. The typical Reds move would be to keep him all year and lose him to free agency without any return. Would you trade him now or try to lock him up for 3-5 years? I would like to see a 3 year, 39 million or a 4 year, 48 million extension. Scooter will probably want a 6 year, 90 million deal and there’s no way they should entertain that.
Reply/Quote
I think it will be tough to get a lot for him. Second basemen are a dime a dozen right now, and he's a horrendous fielder to boot. It would be pretty silly to offer him a lot with Senzel and India both in the pipeline (not to mention Long), too.

I'd trade him for a decent starter, like a number 3 if offered. If not, then I'd hold onto him, ride his bat for another year, and then let one of the young kids take his spot in 2020.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:37 PM)samhain Wrote: I think it will be tough to get a lot for him.  Second basemen are a dime a dozen right now,

That's funny, to me it seems like there are very few good 2nd basemen around right now.

Looking at 2nd basemen with at least 450 at bats Gennette was 3rd in OPS (SLG% + OB%) this year and 4th in 2017.  He is a legit All Star at the position, and I only see 3 or 4 others even close in the majors right now.

I like both Suarez and Gennette.  I'd like to keep them both, but they are useless without more pitching and we don't have anyone else with value in trade.  Plus the only prospect we have ready to play in the minors is an infielder.  So, I think we have tot trade either Suarez or gennette for a starting pitcher.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:37 PM)samhain Wrote: I think it will be tough to get a lot for him. Second basemen are a dime a dozen right now, and he's a horrendous fielder to boot. It would be pretty silly to offer him a lot with Senzel and India both in the pipeline (not to mention Long), too.

I'd trade him for a decent starter, like a number 3 if offered. If not, then I'd hold onto him, ride his bat for another year, and then let one of the young kids take his spot in 2020.

Scooter’s D isn’t as bad as people like to say. I could see him traded in a package deal, I’d hate to ride it out and get nothing in return.
Reply/Quote