Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scoring Defense
Lou Anarumo has won me over. Of all the new coaches and coordinators in the post-Marvin era, Lou has done the most in his new role. Right now the Bengals are allowing 17.3 points per game which is roughly HALF the points allowed under Teryl Austin.

Let’s see what happens this coming week against the Baltimore Ravens. Zac Taylor has NEVER beaten the Ratbirds, a fact I find extremely disturbing. As good as Lou has been this year his efforts against Baltimore have been putrid to this point. Lamar Jackson has made the Bengals his canine with an XX genotype.

A couple years ago in the playoffs the Houston Oilers 2.0 — aka the Tennessee Titans — stymied Lamar Jackson by using delayed blitzes. It might be worth trying.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 09:52 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Lou Anarumo has won me over.  Of all the new coaches and coordinators in the post-Marvin era, Lou has done the most in his new role.  Right now the Bengals are allowing 17.3 points per game which is roughly HALF the points allowed under Teryl Austin.  

Let’s see what happens this coming week against the Baltimore Ravens.  Zac Taylor has NEVER beaten the Ratbirds, a fact I find extremely disturbing.  As good as Lou has been this year his efforts against Baltimore have been putrid to this point. Lamar Jackson has made the Bengals his canine with an XX genotype.

A couple years ago in the playoffs the Houston Oilers 2.0 — aka the Tennessee Titans — stymied Lamar Jackson by using delayed blitzes.  It might be worth trying.

Lamar is just a freak athlete who does that to everyone. And his passing has improved as well.  I remember being called a Louisville home for suggesting we draft him, although I thought he'd sit behind Dalton for a year and we had more pressing needs. Woulda shoulda coulda..
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 09:52 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Lou Anarumo has won me over. Of all the new coaches and coordinators in the post-Marvin era, Lou has done the most in his new role. Right now the Bengals are allowing 17.3 points per game which is roughly HALF the points allowed under Teryl Austin.

Let’s see what happens this coming week against the Baltimore Ravens. Zac Taylor has NEVER beaten the Ratbirds, a fact I find extremely disturbing. As good as Lou has been this year his efforts against Baltimore have been putrid to this point. Lamar Jackson has made the Bengals his canine with an XX genotype.

A couple years ago in the playoffs the Houston Oilers 2.0 — aka the Tennessee Titans — stymied Lamar Jackson by using delayed blitzes. It might be worth trying.

18.5 according to this…

But regardless, this defense has indeed been great. I’m not quite ready to deem Lou the next Zimmer just yet (he should be successful with all the FA’s we gave him), but he’s got his guys playing well. No doubt.

Reply/Quote
I kind of expect to see a bunch of striped helmets on both sides of the ball this coming Pro Bowl..
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 10:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 18.5 according to this…

It’s 18.5 if you count the ONE pick six Joe Burrow threw against the defense — which I don’t. The standings say the Bengals have 111 “points against” but that includes the pick. I base my scoring defense on 104 points, not 111. One cannot hold a pick thrown by the quarterback against the defense.
Reply/Quote
This defense reminds me of the early Patriots defense. It's not about making flashy plays but just sound football.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 10:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 18.5 according to this…

But regardless, this defense has indeed been great. I’m not quite ready to deem Lou the next Zimmer just yet (he should be successful with all the FA’s we gave him), but he’s got his guys playing well. No doubt.

Hopefully, he's not the next Zimmer. Tired of having defenses that are abysmal in the playoffs 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 12:38 AM)Mobster Wrote: Hopefully, he's not the next Zimmer. Tired of having defenses that are abysmal in the playoffs 

That’s fair. But perennial top 10 defenses I would take.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 12:38 AM)Mobster Wrote: Hopefully, he's not the next Zimmer. Tired of having defenses that are abysmal in the playoffs 

My “success criterion” for Lou Anarumo will arrive this weekend in the form of the Baltimore Ravens. Let’s be honest: Stopping Lamar Jackson isn’t easy. He started out as a running quarterback but now he can throw accurately too. Greg Roman might be the most innovative offensive coordinator in the NFL because he morphed the Ratbirds into an offense built around Lamar Jackson’s unique attributes.

Now comes another former Bengal-killer: Le’Veon Bell. He’s a Ratbird now and he still has that amazing vision where he dances behind the offensive line, waits for a crease to open, then oozes through it like a drip of paint.

Lou Anarumo needs to tool the defense to stop Jackson and Bell. This isn’t easy, I’ll readily admit, but a few other defensive coordinators have been successful.

Finally, the Bengals haven’t beaten the Ravens in the Zac Taylor era. It’s time to change this.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 10:45 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: My “success criterion” for Lou Anarumo will arrive this weekend in the form of the Baltimore Ravens.  Let’s be honest: Stopping Lamar Jackson isn’t easy.  He started out as a running quarterback but now he can throw accurately too.  Greg Roman might be the most innovative offensive coordinator in the NFL because he morphed the Ratbirds into an offense built around Lamar Jackson’s unique attributes.

Now comes another former Bengal-killer: Le’Veon Bell.  He’s a Ratbird now and he still has that amazing vision where he dances behind the offensive line, waits for a crease to open, then oozes through it like a drip of paint.  

Lou Anarumo needs to tool the defense to stop Jackson and Bell.  This isn’t easy, I’ll readily admit, but a few other defensive coordinators have been successful.

Finally, the Bengals haven’t beaten the Ravens in the Zac Taylor era.  It’s time to change this.

My 2 cents is the Bengals defense has been the ONLY consistent phase of this team so far after 6 games!

I think it was Logan Wilson, not sure, but SOMEBODY, during the post game interview on the Bengals, mentioned they were 'spying' on someone, so maybe Lou will do that with Lamar.

Regardless, I'm not concerned about the Bengals defense, but the RAVENS defense and the Bengals offense might be very troubling.

They shut down a pretty good offense this week in the Chargers holding them to 6 points.

IF the Ravens are on their A game, defensively, like they were yesterday, I think the Bengals are in trouble because I see them blitzing the daylights out of Burrow and could end up hurting him.

I would love to be wrong about this and will come in here and eat crow if it turns out that I am, but John Harbaugh is not my 'favorite' coach in this league, but . . . giving credit where credit is due, he's one of the best when you look at this organization, long term.
Reply/Quote

I agree,  I don't get the Zimmer love fest around here... Give me Sweet Lou anyday...
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 10:45 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: My “success criterion” for Lou Anarumo will arrive this weekend in the form of the Baltimore Ravens.  Let’s be honest: Stopping Lamar Jackson isn’t easy.  He started out as a running quarterback but now he can throw accurately too.  Greg Roman might be the most innovative offensive coordinator in the NFL because he morphed the Ratbirds into an offense built around Lamar Jackson’s unique attributes.

Now comes another former Bengal-killer: Le’Veon Bell.  He’s a Ratbird now and he still has that amazing vision where he dances behind the offensive line, waits for a crease to open, then oozes through it like a drip of paint.  

Lou Anarumo needs to tool the defense to stop Jackson and Bell.  This isn’t easy, I’ll readily admit, but a few other defensive coordinators have been successful.

Finally, the Bengals haven’t beaten the Ravens in the Zac Taylor era.  It’s time to change this.

As of now, my expectations are that we will more often than not stop the traditional running plays the Ravens try to run with the RB. It's the Lamar Jackson runs that have me concerned. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 03:51 PM)PhilHos Wrote: It's the Lamar Jackson runs that have me concerned. 

Same here! Not even Imodium AD can stop those runs.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 09:52 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Lou Anarumo has won me over. Of all the new coaches and coordinators in the post-Marvin era, Lou has done the most in his new role. Right now the Bengals are allowing 17.3 points per game which is roughly HALF the points allowed under Teryl Austin.

Do female canines have XX?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 09:59 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Lamar is just a freak athlete who does that to everyone. And his passing has improved as well.  I remember being called a Louisville home for suggesting we draft him, although I thought he'd sit behind Dalton for a year and we had more pressing needs. Woulda shoulda coulda..

Shoot I posted a thread on here saying I thought Lamar would win the Heisman Trophy the year he won and got blasted on here and nobody agreed he would even win. 

Suggested we draft Lamar too, but of course I am a Louisville homer. 

Said to draft Jaire Alexander and Mekhi Becton long before they were even considered 1st round selections as well. Also got blasted for saying we should bring in Teddy Bridgewater as a back up QB instead of McCarron in a add AJ McCarron thread. 

Was mad when we let Eric Wood go to Buffalo back in the day too. Cincinnati just does not like drafting Louisville guys early even though the city is merely 90 miles away and would boost their fanbases numbers immediately. 

Ravens considered PBS a home field advantage last year per the Louisville fans traveling to see their beloved Lamar and even doing "the Wave" per there were so many.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Could not be more happy with the way the defense is playing.

Love Ya Lou !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 10:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s 18.5 if you count the ONE pick six Joe Burrow threw against the defense — which I don’t.  The standings say the Bengals have 111 “points against” but that includes the pick.  I base my scoring defense on 104 points, not 111. One cannot hold a pick thrown by the quarterback against the defense.

Yeah, you don't count pick six's against the D.

Lou has this Defense playing very well and I think we will give Lamar and the Ravens problems for the first time in years.

That Chargers D yesterday was terrible and they still made Lamar look just alright. 

The D of the Ravens is good though same as ours.
Reply/Quote