Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scott Walker..Reducing Big Gov't, at the State level
And for those of you who have been thinking that I back Trump...

I've actually been a fan of Walker for a few years, now.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/11/walker-wins-new-budget-will-repeal-university-tenure/

Another win for the citizens of Wisconsin, and the common man, in general.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
I guess the fact that he couldn't succeed in college means others shouldn't be able too either.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-11-2015, 07:30 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I guess the fact that he couldn't succeed in college means others shouldn't be able too either.

I'm not saying anything..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-11-2015, 07:30 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I guess the fact that he couldn't succeed in college means others shouldn't be able too either.

What are you talking about? 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-11-2015, 10:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What are you talking about? 

I'm first pointing out that he dropped out of college. I am also pointing out that these cuts will only hurt students in Wisconsin's university system. Good professors won't stick around if you freeze their pay, get rid of tenure, and tell them to teach more classes. That's a little obvious.

Reminds me of the county I live in. It's a pretty wealthy county, but it's also the most Republican in MD. The result is low property classes and VERY low school funding compared to all of the other suburban counties. They have the lowest starting teacher pay in the state and new teacher are opting to teach in Baltimore City over this county. They recently did a retirement package hoping that they could get the teachers who had been there for 30+ years to retire and hire new teachers on the cheap. The problem was all their mid range good teachers took the packages and ran to the county I teach in or some of the others. They haven't had a pay increase in 6 years, meanwhile I am on step 6 after only 5 years in my county.

The point is, the fact that Walker did not appreciate a college education doesn't mean he should sabotage Wisconsin's university system. Let them be competitive.

I will give him props for freezing tuition, though.

I guess Walker saw how well* everything is going in Kansas and decided education is a great place to start cutting and fooling around with the budget.

*well= unmitigated disaster
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-11-2015, 11:48 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm first pointing out that he dropped out of college. I am also pointing out that these cuts will only hurt students in Wisconsin's university system. Good professors won't stick around if you freeze their pay, get rid of tenure, and tell them to teach more classes. That's a little obvious.

Reminds me of the county I live in. It's a pretty wealthy county, but it's also the most Republican in MD. The result is low property classes and VERY low school funding compared to all of the other suburban counties. They have the lowest starting teacher pay in the state and new teacher are opting to teach in Baltimore City over this county. They recently did a retirement package hoping that they could get the teachers who had been there for 30+ years to retire and hire new teachers on the cheap. The problem was all their mid range good teachers took the packages and ran to the county I teach in or some of the others. They haven't had a pay increase in 6 years, meanwhile I am on step 6 after only 5 years in my county.

The point is, the fact that Walker did not appreciate a college education doesn't mean he should sabotage Wisconsin's university system. Let them be competitive.

Walker did not get rid of Professor tenure.  He only took it out of State hands, and back solely in control of the Board of Regents, just like the 49 other States...

As for him not finishing college?  Why is that such a big deal to you?  Plenty of people go on to have great lives and careers, without the benefit of a college degree.

"Until now, tenure for professors at the University of Wisconsin has been protected by statute (Wisconsin is the only state with such a law). Now, that protection has been eliminated, leaving it up to the school’s board of regents to decide whether professors have tenure."

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-12-2015, 10:58 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Walker did not get rid of Professor tenure.  He only took it out of State hands, and back solely in control of the Board of Regents, just like the 49 other States...

As for him not finishing college?  Why is that such a big deal to you?  Plenty of people go on to have great lives and careers, without the benefit of a college degree.

"Until now, tenure for professors at the University of Wisconsin has been protected by statute (Wisconsin is the only state with such a law). Now, that protection has been eliminated, leaving it up to the school’s board of regents to decide whether professors have tenure."

So the tenure isn't really an issue, but they're still going to lose pay increases and be expected to work more?

Employees tend to stick with a job that won't give them a raise and expects them to work more.

As for him completing college, it probably has to do with the fact that it is not a hard thing to do. He had a 2.6 GPA when he dropped out, which isn't impressive. I might be more forgiving if he were someone successful like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, or Ted Turner. These men went on to start successful businesses and be the best in their fields. He has been a career politician for the last 23 years. Has he ever had a real job? Has he ever had success in the private sector?

He comes off as someone who doesn't understand how business and education work, which might be because he hasn't really been in private business and he didn't take his college education seriously.

(07-12-2015, 12:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So the tenure isn't really an issue, but they're still going to lose pay increases and be expected to work more?

Employees tend to stick with a job that won't give them a raise and expects them to work more.

As for him completing college, it probably has to do with the fact that it is not a hard thing to do. He had a 2.6 GPA when he dropped out, which isn't impressive. I might be more forgiving if he were someone successful like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, or Ted Turner. These men went on to start successful businesses and be the best in their fields. He has been a career politician for the last 23 years. Has he ever had a real job? Has he ever had success in the private sector?

He comes off as someone who doesn't understand how business and education work, which might be because he hasn't really been in private business and he didn't take his college education seriously.

Pat, the money funneled from the bloated UW fund, is going directly into the school voucher system.  Money still stays with education.  Seems to me that he took a closer look at where the money was needed in his State.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-12-2015, 12:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Pat, the money funneled from the bloated UW fund, is going directly into the school voucher system.  Money still stays with education.  Seems to me that he took a closer look at where the money was needed in his State.

The school voucher system that supports private schools that can reject students for bad behavior and poor grades?  While the public system takes them in?

That system?

Well cutting their budget seems to be the best way to improve them.  Make them EARN that extra few million.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-12-2015, 12:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Pat, the money funneled from the bloated UW fund, is going directly into the school voucher system.  Money still stays with education.  Seems to me that he took a closer look at where the money was needed in his State.

I'm fully aware of where the money is going. The fact remains that he is hurting education with this move, and you still haven't addressed the fact that he is going to cause professors to leave the system and go to other schools.

As for vouchers, the evidence in Milwaukee shows that the program isn't improving education. There's really no difference between a school choice student and a regular public school student in his state's program. So he's going to take money from the university system, causing them to not be able to pay professors as competitively, so that he can fund a conservative pet cause that has made no difference in his state.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2014/may/28/mary-burke/no-evidence-students-voucher-schools-perform-bette/

(07-12-2015, 12:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: The school voucher system that supports private schools that can reject students for bad behavior and poor grades?  While the public system takes them in?

That system?

Well cutting their budget seems to be the best way to improve them.  Make them EARN that extra few million.

Yep, the same program that ignores that fact that many students in low performing schools can not afford the transportation to go to a different school.

But, hey, at least the rich kids get a break on private school tuition.  So who cares?
Supports the TPP........next.

"Better send those refunds..."