Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scout(s) Business as Usual
(01-23-2019, 01:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: It's hard to scout everyone when you lack scouts. Thus I think it's more important to use your resources on scouting players per the scheme.

Other teams with triple the number of scouts can definitely scout all and leave no stone unturned.

As others have said, this isn't really an issue right now because there are no other games or workouts going on. This problem is much bigger during the season (sending scouts to watch games) and during Pro Day visits. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 01:10 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I like Snead admitting to his mistakes but a lot of his team was built through free agency with guys like Whitworth, Suh ,Talib, Woods and trading for guys like Peterson, Cooks, Fowler ect. Some of his trades were risky he traded two 1st round picks two 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks to move up and draft Goff at number one overall. They also traded a 1st round pick for Brandon Cooks who is ok. Plus when Goff's rookie deal is up it will be impossible to keep all these guys together. My point is I'm not sure this is a formula the Bengals can follow or will. I'm all for the Bengals packaging picks to move up in later rounds of the draft and being more aggressive in free agency with quality players who aren't bums. Were heading in the right direction tho with hiring Taylor and making moves like the Glenn trade last season. We need to address the offensive line and linebacker early in the draft and free agency and i think we will be moving in the right direction. 

Brandin Cooks is seriously underappreciated.

He is better than "OK". He also has had more receiving yards than AJ Green each of the last 3 years despite having to play in three different offenses.

No idea how he has never been to a Pro Bowl.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 02:45 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Brandin Cooks is seriously underappreciated.

He is better than "OK". He also has had more receiving yards than AJ Green each of the last 3 years despite having to play in three different offenses.

With less drops.

Brandin Cooks had zero drops in 2018.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 03:02 PM)Synric Wrote: With less drops.

Brandin Cooks had zero drops in 2018.

Good for him.

AJ still had more TD’s despite playing in 7 less games.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 06:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Good for him.

AJ still had more TD’s despite playing in 7 less games.

Do you get how crazy it is to have that many targets catches and zero drops? 

AJ is always at the top of the league in drops which isnt bad its basic math target catches drops it is what it is....but to get those same targets and catches with zero drops that's insane.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 02:45 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Brandin Cooks is seriously underappreciated.

He’s had to play with Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and a team with the hottest young coach in the league. Poor baby lol

Meanwhile AJ has been on a team with an average QB, no running game or legit #2WR the last few years, and one of the worst OC’s of all time.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 06:28 PM)Synric Wrote: Do you get how crazy it is to have that many targets catches and zero drops? 

AJ is always at the top of the league in drops which isnt bad its basic math target catches drops it is what it is....but to get those same targets and catches with zero drops that's insane.

He’s a really good WR, not denying it. Not sure why we have to take a shot at one of our own best players to make that point though.

Reply/Quote

Green has been hurt the last couple years which obviously brings his stats down significantly. I think he’s a good WR he’s just not a game changer in my opinion. Anyways my post wasn’t just about Brandin Cooks. I was pointing out how the Rams were constructed and that I doubt the Bengals would be able to replicate it. People were acting like Snead is a draft guru I was just pointing out that the team signed a ton of big name free agents and also made multiple big trades for veteran players.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: And other notes from Tobin at the Senior Bowl.

https://www.bengals.com/news/scouts-business-as-usual

He would only say the head coaching search is “ongoing.”

He reiterated the club’s future commitment to quarterback Andy Dalton, noting that he’s got plenty of years left beyond his deal that ends in 2020.

He says the game is changing and acknowledged the Bengals need to add more speed to their roster as well linemen on both sides of the ball, which he also says is business as usual. He estimates they’ll have 11 draft picks and could see them doubling up at a position like linebacker.

Goes into some tidbits about coaching search. But didn't break any new ground.

I don't necessarily agree with his take on not needing to know who the coaches are to scout prospects. Scheme can come into play, so it's important to know what scheme fits they are looking for.

Thanks, interesting thread. I just think Duke is just spouting what he needs to. He knows Taylor is going to be the HC and i am sure they had an in depth discussion on what type of scheme they are wanting to run and what players would be best suited for said scheme.

Need to load up at Linebacker and in the trenches, especially O-line.

I think the team's priorities are being adhered to, finally some professional accountability.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 06:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s had to play with Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and a team with the hottest young coach in the league. Poor baby lol

Meanwhile AJ has been on a team with an average QB, no running game or legit #2WR the last few years, and one of the worst OC’s of all time.

Hmm, I wouldn't paint a picture so bleak.  Andy and AJ have been working together for 9 years.  They can practically do what they do together blindfolded.  The problem is that AJ is the only great receiver on this team, most of the time, he's double covered.  It can be argued that Cooks isn't even the WR1 of the Rams, because it's Robert Woods.

The rest of the bolded makes little to no sense, as Mixon had the most rushing yards of any back in the AFC this season, and Boyd is far from a slouch as a WR2.  Boyd posted a 70% catch rate this season, and AJ Green posted a 59% catch rate.  As far as OCs go, I think that Jay Gruden, Hue Jackson and even Bill Lazor were better than a lot of alternatives.  Now, with Zampesee, you might have a legit point...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 06:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s a really good WR, not denying it. Not sure why we have to take a shot at one of our own best players to make that point though.

Because that's how you prove how "objective" you are, that no one is above your magnifying glass.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2019, 07:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, I wouldn't paint a picture so bleak.  Andy and AJ have been working together for 9 years.  They can practically do what they do together blindfolded.  The problem is that AJ is the only great receiver on this team, most of the time, he's double covered.  It can be argued that Cooks isn't even the WR1 of the Rams, because it's Robert Woods.

The rest of the bolded makes little to no sense, as Mixon had the most rushing yards of any back in the AFC this season, and Boyd is far from a slouch as a WR2.  Boyd posted a 70% catch rate this season, and AJ Green posted a 59% catch rate.  As far as OCs go, I think that Jay Gruden, Hue Jackson and even Bill Lazor were better than a lot of alternatives.  Now, with Zampesee, you might have a legit point...

I guess you missed the part where I said the last few years...

Wasn’t talking about only this season (which AJ only played 9 games of). The original Cooks comparison was about the last 3 years. You know, when Brandon LaFell was our #2, we had no running game, and Zampese as OC for a season +.

Reply/Quote
With the case of AJ Green v Cooks.. Is Cooks consistently double teamed nearly every snap playing downs when the QB is under constant pressure because of a pretty lousy offensive line? Sure, there's an excuse baked into that, but it's tough to overlook just how dysfunctional the offense is under such circumstances not to mention lame ducks among the coaching staff? 
I'll go out on a limb and guess AJ's (and Boyd's) numbers might improve substantially if these issues are rectified.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 06:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s a really good WR, not denying it. Not sure why we have to take a shot at one of our own best players to make that point though.
I think we know
(01-26-2019, 07:33 PM)McC Wrote: Because that's how you prove how "objective" you are, that no one is above your magnifying glass.
Nah, that's not it.

As to the Cook/AJ debate: They're both great WRs that have totally different skill sets.

As to the OP: I hope our future OC was on the field with the Raider's staff getting an up close look at the goods.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote