Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scouting the Bowl Games
Each year I do a series of threads where we talk about some of the better prospects in the day's Bowl games and how they may fit with the Bengals. Today (12/22/17) gives us 2 matchups:

BAHAMAS BOWL
DEC 22, 12:30 ESPN
OHIO v. UAB

OHIO:
QUENTIN POLING- Poling is a tackling machine that can bring heat on the QB and drop into coverage. He has 110 tackles, 5.5 sacks, and 4 PDs

UAB:
TEKO POWELL- Powell is a big-bodied DT that was highly recruited out of Miami. Signed at Illinois and flash talent. Unfortunately a recurring foot injury derail his career and he transfer to UAB.

IDAHO POTATO BOWL
DEC 22, 4:00 ESPN
CENTRAL MICHIGAN v. WYOMING

CENTRAL MICHIGAN:
JOSH COX- A ballhawking DB that can help in run defense. Josh has 6 INTs and 54 tackles on the year

WYOMING:
JOSH ALLEN: Lots of talk going around Bengal land about players quitting, one player that will not quit is Josh Allen. One of the Nation's top QB prospect is coming off a shoulder injury and could have easily went the way of other top NFL prospects and sat out, but not Josh. Josh says he owes it to his team to play.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Every year I look forward to these threads Bfine.  Excellent work done by you. 

I'll add the QB from Central Michigan.  Not sure of his name, but I read that he was a 5 star QB that just couldn't do the Jim Harbaugh offense at Michigan.  Might be worth scouting in today's game.  Became really hot down the stretch towards the end of the season, 14 tds to only 2 or 3 ints. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Josh Allen is looking really impressive. If he was available in the 2nd I'd be OK with taking him(he won't be available).
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 07:54 PM)tBengal Wrote: Josh Allen is looking really impressive. If he was available in the 2nd I'd be OK with taking him(he won't be available).

He's got some kind of arm.  And he's big and tough to bring down like you know who.

Top ten pick. Won't get past Denver.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 01:38 AM)McC Wrote: He's got some kind of arm.  And he's big and tough to bring down like you know who.

Top ten pick.  Won't get past Denver.

Watching him play yesterday I kept asking myself who wants Carson Wentz this year.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 12:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Watching him play yesterday I kept asking myself who wants Carson Wentz this year.

Good to see traditional, pro style QBs coming back into style, in the NCAA.  Hopefully the RPO has seen it's crest.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
BIRMINGHAM BOWL
12:00 ESPN
TX TECH v. SO. FLA

TX TECH:
NIC SHIMONEK- TT has had a down year and coach Handsome has tried to pin it on Nic, benching him for the Texas showdown. Didn't take handsome long to realize Nic was the reason they won as many as they did. Handsome put Nic back in and he led the comeback with 2 TD passes on only 8 throws. I'm higher on Nic than many, but admittedly I am terrible as picking QBs

SO. FLA:
MARQUEZ VALDES-SCANTLING- Big bodied WR with some wheels (had a 75 yard rushing TD). MV-S was a transfer from NC ST, where he started as a true Freshman.

ARMED FORCES BOWL
3:30 ESPN
S.D. STATE v. ARMY

S.D. STATE:
RASHAAD PENNY-Looking to replace Jeremy Hill? Look no further than this 6'0" 225 speedster. Leads the Nation in rushing with over 2,000 yards. Went over 1,000 last year in a backup role

ARMY:
AHNAD BRADSHAW- The Army QB may not ever play a down in the NFL and if he does it definitely won't be at QBl but he is a talented athlete that could be used as an offensive weapon in the right scheme

DOLLAR GENERAL BOWL
7:00 ESPN
APP. ST. v. TOLEDO

TOLEDO:
LOGAN WOODSIDE- Nobody wanted my homeboy as QB for their program and once he did get an offer that team didn't want him as a starter. He went to the same HS camp in Cincy as Malik Ziare and won co-MVP. Ziare had about 35 offers from big time programs. Logan had 0. Logan went on to set passing records at Toledo and is the 3rd most accurate QB in MAC history

APP. ST.
Jalin Moore JALIN MOORE- This scat back has 2 games of over 220 yards this season, but has been slowed overall by injuries. Also a receiving threat out of the backfield

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 12:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Watching him play yesterday I kept asking myself who wants Carson Wentz this year.

Cleveland?  Or anybody who needs a QB.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Jalin Moore looking the part, versus that MAC defense. Though, I will say that his blocking is looking pretty darn good, too.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
DEC 26

Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl
Utah vs. West Virginia
1:30 p.m., ESPN

UTAH:
Darren Carrington/WR- Carrington posses a good blend of size and speed. He is a well rounded WR that transferred out of Oregon due to DUI

WEST VIRGINIA:
Al-Rasheed Benton/ LB- Al is an undersized LB that can play on all 3 levels. He has 102 tackles (13 TFL), 3 sacks, 1 FF, 2 INTs and 3 PDs

Quick Lane Bowl
Duke vs. Northern Illinois
5:15 p.m., ESPN

DUKE:
Joe Giles-Harris- WLB that has 117 tackles (15.0 TFL), 4.5 sacks (7 QB Pressures), 1 INT, and 4 PDs

NORTHERN ILL.
Sutton Smith- Undersized DL that will most likely earn a living as a 3-4 OLB, but who knows what D we will be running next year. Dde lives in the opponents backfield with a Nation leading 28.5 TFL and second in the Nation with 14 sacks.

Cactus Bowl
Kansas State vs. UCLA
9 p.m., ESPN

K. STATE:
Byron Pringle/ WR- Talk about a deep threat. Pringle only has 28 catches on the year, but about 1 in 4 go for TDs(6). Dude also averages 25.2 YPC'

UCLA:
Jordan Lasley/ WR- Unfortunately Josh Rosen is sitting this one out; however, his top receiver is all systems go. Despite missing 4 games this year Jordan has 61 catches for 1136 yards, and 8 TDs

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2017, 02:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: DEC 26

Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl
Utah vs. West Virginia

UTAH:
Darren Carrington/WR- Carrington posses a good blend of size and speed. He is a well rounded WR that transferred out of Oregon due to DUI

WEST VIRGINIA:
Al-Rasheed Benton/ LB- Al is an undersized LB that can play on all 3 levels. He has 102 tackles (13 TFL), 3 sacks, 1 FF, 2 INTs and 3 PDs

Quick Lane Bowl
Duke vs. Northern Illinois

DUKE:
Joe Giles-Harris- WLB that has 117 tackles (15.0 TFL), 4.5 sacks (7 QB Pressures), 1 INT, and 4 PDs

NORTHERN ILL.
Sutton Smith- Undersized DL that will most likely earn a living as a 3-4 OLB, but who knows what D we will be running next year. Dde lives in the opponents backfield with a Nation leading 28.5 TFL and second in the Nation with 14 sacks.

Cactus Bowl
Kansas State vs. UCLA
9 p.m., ESPN

K. STATE:
Byron Pringle/ WR- Talk about a deep threat. Pringle only has 28 catches on the year, but about 1 in 4 go for TDs(6). Dude also averages 25.2 YPC'

UCLA:
Jordan Lasley/ WR- Unfortunately Josh Rosen is sitting this one out; however, his top receiver is all systems go. Despite missing 4 games this year Jordan has 61 catches for 1136 yards, and 8 TDs

WVU Kyzir White 6'2 215 Spur Safety.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
DTs from Utah deserve a closer look. Lots of beef.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2017, 04:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: DTs from Utah deserve a closer look. Lots of beef.

Seems like there's always been a Lotulelei at DT for Utah for the past 30 years. 
Reply/Quote

I don't think Wentz is a good comp for him.  Allen may have some serious arm talent, but he's only a 55% completion guy.  I don't think that ever gets much better - at least it traditionally hasn't for other guys.

Buyer beware on this guy.
Reply/Quote
Walk-On's Independence Bowl
Southern Miss vs. Florida State
FSU: Anyone of note for FSU has decided to sit out this Bowl Game as there is a regime change in Tallahassee

SMU: Ito Smith- Scat back with over 1300 rushing yards and 13 TDs. Also a receiving threat out of the backfield with36 catches and 3 TDs

New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Iowa vs. Boston College
IOWA: Joshua Jackson- The junior has a national-leading seven interceptions and returned two for TDs.

BC:Harold Landry- Slowed by injury Landry still managed 38 tackles, 8 1/2 for loss, and five sacks in eight games.

Foster Farms Bowl
Arizona vs. Purdue
8:30 p.m., FOX
ARZ: KHALIL TATE- Although not draft eligible this guy is a young Michael Vick

PUR: Ja’Whaun Bentley- The LB had 89 tackles, 91/2 for loss, in 11 games. He returned an interception 76 yards for a TD.

Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl
Texas vs. Missouri

TX: Poona Ford- DT was Big XII dlineman of the year he amassed 30 tackles, eight tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, a forced fumble, a QB hurry, a pass breakup and a blocked field goal.

MIZZ: Drew Lock- This QB threw for 3695 yards and 43 TDs this year. May be a good one to look at in the mid-rounds to sit for a year or two and/or replace AJM.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 05:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Walk-On's Independence Bowl
Southern Miss vs. Florida State
FSU: Anyone of note for FSU has decided to sit out this Bowl Game as there is a regime change in Tallahassee

SMU: Ito Smith- Scat back with over 1300 rushing yards and 13 TDs. Also a receiving threat out of the backfield with36 catches and 3 TDs

New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Iowa vs. Boston College
IOWA: Joshua Jackson- The junior has a national-leading seven interceptions and returned two for TDs.

BC:Harold Landry- Slowed by injury Landry still managed 38 tackles, 8 1/2 for loss, and five sacks in eight games.

Foster Farms Bowl
Arizona vs. Purdue
8:30 p.m., FOX
ARZ: KHALIL TATE- Although not draft eligible this guy is a young Michael Vick

PUR: Ja’Whaun Bentley- The LB had 89 tackles, 91/2 for loss, in 11 games. He returned an interception 76 yards for a TD.

Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl
Texas vs. Missouri

TX: Poona Ford- DT was Big XII dlineman of the year he amassed 30 tackles, eight tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, a forced fumble, a QB hurry, a pass breakup and a blocked field goal.

MIZZ: Drew Lock- This QB threw for 3695 yards and 43 TDs this year. May be a good one to look at in the mid-rounds to sit for a year or two and/or replace AJM.

Looking like they should have sat out earlier in the season. Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 03:08 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't think Wentz is a good comp for him.  Allen may have some serious arm talent, but he's only a 55% completion guy.  I don't think that ever gets much better - at least it traditionally hasn't for other guys.

Buyer beware on this guy.

People will fall in love with the size and the incredible arm.  Draft him and send him to Tom House.  

Reply/Quote
Congrats to Bengalhawk, for his team getting the Bowl Win!

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Better look out for qb1 Mason Rudolph tomorrow.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 10:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Congrats to Bengalhawk, for his team getting the Bowl Win!

What am I? Chopped liver? LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote