Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scouting the College Pro Days
Cincyjungle has a list of all the college pro days dates here: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/3/7/17086856/nfl-pro-day-schedule-2018-every-college-event-calendar
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis and Teryl Austin were at Alabama's pro day. As usual the Tide has alot of talented prospects on the defensive side this year.

Minkah Fitzpatrick
Da'Ron Payne
Ronnie Harrison
Rashaan Evans
Da'Shawn Hand

Evans and Harrison opted out of running the 40 again which was disappointing but they have another chance at Alabama's second pro day on the 28th. Bozeman weighed in at less than that 300lbs and ran a 5.4 40.

Edit: I think Da'Shawn Hand (6'4 297) is a guy to look at for the Bengals. He was rated as the number 1 High school prospect but didn't have the college career because he played behind guys like Johnathan Allen. Hand finally got full time duty last year but due to a really bad looking chop block against ol miss he missed a few games and still looked hurt when came back. Hand had a solid week at the Senior Bowl and tested well at thr combine which raised his stock.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Days to look at for me is Vita vea running the 40 again. Expect a sub 5 second 40 if his hammy is healed. As far as osu pro day expect Denzel ward to run a low -mid 4.2 40. Ran a 4.32 with a twisted ankle. Also jamarco Jones bench press and Sam Hubbard 40 time.
Reply/Quote
I'm usually not as high on Alabama guys as most here, I think that they are typically over-hyped due to their surrounding talent, but there are a few early round prospects this year that I'd feel pretty good about the Bengals nabbing.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 03:10 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Days to look at for me is Vita vea running the 40 again. Expect a sub 5 second 40 if his hammy is healed. As far as osu pro day expect Denzel ward to run a low -mid 4.2 40. Ran a 4.32 with a twisted ankle. Also jamarco Jones bench press and Sam Hubbard 40 time.

He aint running again. Already borderline top 10. Another hammy injury would do more harm than anything
Reply/Quote
CB Robert Taylor WSU (5'10 185) had a good pro day. 4.38 to 4.46 40 times. 10 foot 4 inch broad jump and a 39 inch vert.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 09:37 AM)Synric Wrote: CB Robert Taylor WSU (5'10 185) had a good pro day. 4.38 to 4.46 40 times. 10 foot 4 inch broad jump and a 39 inch vert.

They really need to up the game on these physical tests.  It's too easy to do a track workout, to prepare for running in a straight line.

Maybe for DBs, they could up the ante a bit.  Perhaps have them backpedal for 10 yds, flip the hips, then sprint 40 yds and leap to swat a football hanging in the air at 10 feet?  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 10:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They really need to up the game on these physical tests.  It's too easy to do a track workout, to prepare for running in a straight line.

Maybe for DBs, they could up the ante a bit.  Perhaps have them backpedal for 10 yds, flip the hips, then sprint 40 yds and leap to swat a football hanging in the air at 10 feet?  

I agree! They all just hire track coaches to get them thru the 40. They need to come up with a way to make it more realistic.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 10:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They really need to up the game on these physical tests.  It's too easy to do a track workout, to prepare for running in a straight line.

It'd mostly checking boxes after watching the guy play. Taylor was a safety/cb hybrid but was a solid interior defender at WSU.

Reply/Quote

Worth mentioning too most pro days also have better 40 times because (some) players are running on track, not a football field.
I typically add about 0.1 to 0.2 seconds to get a better idea of 40 time on a field.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 04:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Worth mentioning too most pro days also have better 40 times because (some) players are running on track, not a football field.
I typically add about 0.1 to 0.2 seconds to get a better idea of 40 time on a field.

Aren't they typically hand timed at their pro days, as opposed to the electronic timer that starts on their movement?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 05:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Aren't they typically hand timed at their pro days, as opposed to the electronic timer that starts on their movement?

That too. And hand timing can be all over the place.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 01:26 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I agree! They all just hire track coaches to get them thru the 40. They need to come up with a way to make it more realistic.

I brought up in the combine thread that I think it would be better if when they do run the 40, that they did it in groups, ala race format.

Back in school, even in my Semi-Pro days, we always ran in pairs with a coach timing each man.  I know that at least in my case, I was faster when trying to beat my teammate, than when running solo.

But yeah, let's put some functional position skill into the speed measurement part of evaluating players.  Sure, keep the 40 yd. dash, for all the stat queens that just love raw numbers, but at least add to what they already do.

Just like with linemen, I've always thought the #225 bench press for reps was a worthless measure of the man's real strength.  Just like hiring a track coach, a player can practice reps for the "show".  Why not time the big men on how long it takes them to power clean 315 for three reps, or make them all do the truck push in race format?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 05:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Back in school, even in my Semi-Pro days

[Image: 1200x630bb.jpg]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 05:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: [Image: 1200x630bb.jpg]

Yep, we had helmets, pads, uni's and everything.  Kind of sucked, trying to get HS officials to call a game by NFL rules, but whatevs.  We did have a former HS HC as our HC, so at least we had that going for us.  Cool

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 05:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That too. And hand timing can be all over the place.

The electronic start can mess up too. Last year it screwed WVU receiver Shelton Gibson.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/west-virginia/Bolt/NFL-Scouts-Analysts-Dispute-Gibsons-Listed-40-Time-51597392/Amp

As for not taking hand time seriously they are just as effective at finding the range of how fast someone is...

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 06:12 PM)Synric Wrote: The electronic start can mess up too. Last year it screwed WVU receiver Shelton Gibson.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/west-virginia/Bolt/NFL-Scouts-Analysts-Dispute-Gibsons-Listed-40-Time-51597392/Amp

As for not taking hand time seriously they are just as effective at finding the range of how fast someone is...

Yes, the electronic start can mess up, but it's far more consistent than individual hand times.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-pro-day-results-kerryon-johnson-carlton-davis-jeff-holland

Auburn's Pro day Results.

Edit: oops wrong link lol.

Reply/Quote