Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scramble for answers as Ronny Jackson allegations threaten to upend nomination
Trump only picks the best people.   Mellow

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/23/politics/ronny-jackson-veterans-affairs-nomination/index.html

Quote:Republicans and Democrats on the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee are raising concerns about allegations involving Rear Adm. Ronny Jackson, President Donald Trump's nominee to lead the Department of Veterans Affairs, and are reviewing them to determine if they are substantial enough to upend his nomination.

Committee members have been told about allegations related to improper conduct in various stages of his career, two sources said.

The sources say the committee is in talks to delay Wednesday's confirmation hearing as they try to figure out the allegations.

None of the senators would publicly detail the specifics of the allegations. A White House spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Two Republican sources with direct knowledge of the situation say the White House is aware that both Democratic and Republican lawmakers are looking into potential problems. Republican lawmakers and aides on the committee say they are also grappling with the allegations, trying to assess what they mean for Jackson's nomination to the post.

Senate Democrats huddled privately Monday in a basement office in the Capitol to discuss "raw allegations" that have been raised against Jackson.

"There are reasons, as there are with every presidential appointee, for very close scrutiny and vetting. We need to know if allegations raised by others may have some factual basis. That's the process of vetting that has to occur," said Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Connecticut, as he left the meeting, which lasted about a half hour.

"We need to be asking questions and there need to be answers," he added. "At this point we are dealing with some fairly raw allegations and we need to know if there is factual support for it."

"All I can really tell you at this moment time is we are continuing the vetting process. We are working very hard at it. It's all hands on deck," said Sen. Jon Tester of Montana, the top Democrat on the committee.

Asked if the allegations were troubling, Tester replied, "Only if true." Asked if Democrats could determine if the allegations are true before Wednesday's hearing or if he would need to meet with Jackson again, Tester responded, 'We'll see."

"I'm going to let my staff and myself enough time to do as much work as we can in the next 48 hours, less than 48 now. And then we're gonna see what we can come up with and go from there," Tester said.

Jackson was named to succeed David Shulkin at the Department of Veterans Affairs after Shulkin was ousted last month. Shulkin faced ethical issues and tensions with political appointees within the agency and the White House. A White House official told CNN that Trump was pleased with Jackson's performance in an extended grilling by reporters in January over the President's health and cognitive fitness.

But Jackson's selection was met with questions on Capitol Hill, where lawmakers in both parties have called into question whether Jackson has the right experience to run the federal government's second-largest bureaucracy and that little has been known, until recently, about his policy views.

"I'm not sure anyone can run the VA," Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn told reporters Monday. "It's so big, it's one of the biggest bureaucracies in the federal government."

The White House is closely monitoring Jackson's confirmation process, and aides have been working for weeks to prepare him for his confirmation hearing. Mock hearings were held throughout the weekend, aides said, trying to prepare Jackson for Senate questioning.

One administration official said Monday the President had faith in his nominee and has no reason to believe Jackson's confirmation is in jeopardy.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Trump has no reason to believe the confirmation is in jeopardy because he is in the White House with over a dozen allegations of sexual misconduct against him. Not saying what Jackson did was similar, if he did anything at all, but just that it gives Trump a reason to believe the public doesn't give a shit about such things.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-24-2018, 12:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Trump has no reason to believe the confirmation is in jeopardy because he is in the White House with over a dozen allegations of sexual misconduct against him. Not saying what Jackson did was similar, if he did anything at all, but just that it gives Trump a reason to believe the public doesn't give a shit about such things.

The "stories" out and about are drinking on the job, over prescribing pills and hostile workplace.
(04-24-2018, 01:49 PM)GMDino Wrote: The "stories" out and about are drinking on the job, over prescribing pills and hostile workplace.

Ah, I hadn't seen what the allegations were.

Eh, my point still stands. Trump knows the American people will put a piece of garbage in the White House, so why would they have a problem with an underling being a piece of garbage?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-24-2018, 01:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Ah, I hadn't seen what the allegations were.

Eh, my point still stands. Trump knows the American people will put a piece of garbage in the White House, so why would they have a problem with an underling being a piece of garbage?

Hey now.

Just "Give em a chance."
(04-24-2018, 01:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Ah, I hadn't seen what the allegations were.

I assume he knows that the people don't get to vote on this.  If the allegations are true I would assume all Democrats, and a decent chunk of Republicans if not most will vote against him.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-24-2018, 02:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I assume he knows that the people don't get to vote on this.  If the allegations are true I would assume all Democrats, and a decent chunk of Republicans if not most will vote against him.

I was surprised to see Republicans step up on this one.  That's how little I think they will do the right thing right now.
(04-24-2018, 02:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I assume he knows that the people don't get to vote on this.  If the allegations are true I would assume all Democrats, and a decent chunk of Republicans if not most will vote against him.

Public opinion is really what sways votes on these sorts of things by the Senate. The opposition party usually votes to confirm out of fear of political retribution, which is tied to public opinion.

All of that being said, I don't really assume Trump knows anything about how our government functions.

Trump said he "doesn't think personally" that Jackson should stay and he should step down.

Seriously.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-jackson/trump-opens-door-for-jackson-to-pull-out-as-nominee-for-veterans-job-idUSKBN1HV1YV

Only the best people.
(04-24-2018, 05:10 PM)GMDino Wrote: Trump said he "doesn't think personally" that Jackson should stay and he should step down.

Seriously.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-jackson/trump-opens-door-for-jackson-to-pull-out-as-nominee-for-veterans-job-idUSKBN1HV1YV

Only the best people.

So our leaders can paw women whenever they want but an occasional three or four drinks on the job is over the top?  
Two people I went to war with were over prescribed opiates. One hung himself. The other went missing and was found dead in a drainage ditch. A third was over prescribed opiates and well on his way to being super addicted. He also liked smoking weed. He failed one of the VA drug tests. And because of the failed test they cut him off. He is still alive.

A person i know whose father was a VA medical care regular was over prescribed opiates. He sold them. All three of his sons were addicted before turning 18. 2 are dead. Girl friend of the father dead. And the i have no idea how many more lives that shitbag ruined.

Putting some guy nicknamed "candyman" in charge of the VA is bad news.
(04-24-2018, 11:04 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Two people I went to war with were over prescribed opiates. One hung himself. The other went missing and was found dead in a drainage ditch. A third was over prescribed opiates and well on his way to being super addicted. He also liked smoking weed. He failed one of the VA drug tests. And because of the failed test they cut him off. He is still alive.

A person i know whose father was a VA medical care regular was over prescribed opiates. He sold them. All three of his sons were addicted before turning 18. 2 are dead. Girl friend of the father dead. And the i have no idea how many more lives that shitbag ruined.

That's the one that will tank him.

[Image: fork.jpg]
(04-24-2018, 11:04 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Two people I went to war with were over prescribed opiates. One hung himself. The other went missing and was found dead in a drainage ditch. A third was over prescribed opiates and well on his way to being super addicted. He also liked smoking weed. He failed one of the VA drug tests. And because of the failed test they cut him off. He is still alive.

All of that just stinks.
20 military members came forward to complain about Jackson according to NPR.  A normal administration would have known some of this before nominating him.

This is the Trump Style ™ in a nutshell:  Hire a guy who said nice things about Trump.  

That's all the requirements needed.  

Might work well in a private company...not so much in government.

And now Trump is suggesting Jackson pull out and blaming the system for putting a man who isn't "political" through the process....after he nominated him.

He does not understand how it works he just wants it to work the way HE wants it to...then he blames everyone else for his lack of understanding and lack of a willingness to learn.
Allegations aside, it was a bad nomination to begin with. Being a doctor in the military doesn't make it prepared to run a vast federal agency even if its primary purpose is providing medical aid to veterans.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(04-25-2018, 11:43 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Allegations aside, it was a bad nomination to begin with. Being a doctor in the military doesn't make it prepared to run a vast federal agency even if its primary purpose is providing medical aid to veterans.

The only experience anyone needs in this administration is the experience of sucking up to the boss apparently.