Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Scratch LT off the office the offseason need list
(01-01-2018, 11:12 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote:   3.  You other young guards were not ready at beginning of season to take over guard, they have at least improved  4. Two games don;t make a career... good or bad 

#3:  Says who?  Marv?  This was their SECOND year with the team.  What I can't stand is what we saw from Hopkins and Bodine was beyond pathetic, and yet there was no competition for them.  Two games don't make a career, but when you start as poorly as the Bengals, it can surely ruin a season....look no further than Zampese's firing.  

For whatever reason, they stuck with Bodine and went with Hopkins and never deviated until injuries forced their hand.

And PLEASE, no one give me the fresh argument.  If you ever played football, you know the most painful game is the second one of the season because you just can't simulate the soreness you get from a full game.  You feel like absolute dogshit before the second game (part of my NFL conspiracy:  how the Bengals got the first Thursday Night Game).  And these guys are trench guys...the leg soreness would be tremendous.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 11:20 AM)Beaker Wrote: Boling does have possibilities at LT. But we would still need to draft a LT, at least to provide a competent backup. I think the Ogbuehi experiment has run its course. As to why they didn't play Boling there sooner...because he was good at LG (and they probably didn't know he could play LT as well as he did because he only went there out of an emergency situation.)

I could see this as next year's starting OL (with some new draft picks as backups):

LT - Boling
LG - Redmond
C - Westerman
RG - Hopkins
RT - Smith

Also, the rookie who filled in at RT didn't do so bad either. The Bengals had to stick with Ogbuehi and Fisher so long because they invested such high draft picks in them and had to be sure they could not improve. But I think now they see they have better suited players on the roster. They should be able to cut their losses at this point. I would cut Ogbuehi and keep Fisher as a backup at RT and to use as a TE in the jumbo package. Remember Fisher als served well as a goal line FB last year when Hewitt was injured...so he has some value to keep in the roster.

I don't know, man.  I think they need at least two high draft picks on the line that can start week 1.  I'd prefer they be on the interior.  Hopkins is awful and so is Bodine.  On top of that, you'd get a little time to see if either of the horrendous young OTs can get their acts together before cutting bait.   

I wouldn't hate seeing Dre back in the Winston role.  I would hate for them to depend on him as a starter and see him come in out of shape (as always) and get hurt before the season ends (as usual).  

Also, there's the factor of Fisher's health which may not be a small issue.  Lapham, Hoard, and Hobson aren't doctors, but they all seemed to think that there's a real chance that he never plays football again.  If that isn't ironed out, you almost draft an OT at some point by default.  

I like what they got from Redmond and Westerman and would love to see if Westerman could line up at center, so agree 100 percent there.

I just see no way that this team can do anything but invest high-value resources on the o-line this year.  Since that won't come in FA, it's gotta come from the draft.  They have some bodies there now, but they need younger, high quality players that can be the cornerstones of the position group for a long time.  I don't see those guys on the team now.
Reply/Quote
Don’t turn the last 2 games into fools gold. This team needs serious help on the line.
Reply/Quote
Still need to draft a LT.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 04:09 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I'd have to watch the tape again, the line played well, but didn't look spectacular. Worth giving him more reps next year, but still think drafting another OT will be a necessity. Guys were dropping quickly and we need more options at the position.

agreed...still would like to draft a tackle and guard
Reply/Quote
We rushed for 288 yards the last two games combined.
Reply/Quote
draft a couple of offensive linemen..a linebacker and safety..new Offensive line coach..this team will be ok
Reply/Quote
CO has pretty much single handedly screwed our last two seasons. Cut him already.....
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 11:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: #3:  Says who?  Marv?  This was their SECOND year with the team.  What I can't stand is what we saw from Hopkins and Bodine was beyond pathetic, and yet there was no competition for them.  Two games don't make a career, but when you start as poorly as the Bengals, it can surely ruin a season....look no further than Zampese's firing.  

For whatever reason, they stuck with Bodine and went with Hopkins and never deviated until injuries forced their hand.

And PLEASE, no one give me the fresh argument.  If you ever played football, you know the most painful game is the second one of the season because you just can't simulate the soreness you get from a full game.  You feel like absolute dogshit before the second game (part of my NFL conspiracy:  how the Bengals got the first Thursday Night Game).  And these guys are trench guys...the leg soreness would be tremendous.  

agreed
Reply/Quote
I do think Boling could be a long term solution at LT. Let's not forget, Whitworth was drafted as and played LG his first 3 years in the league then became one of the top left tackles in the league. Boling just shut out Suggs in his second game at the spot. We're talking a HOF pass rusher he just blanked. I would seriously consider going into next season with Boling as the LT and drafting the best possible RT and C I could get.
Reply/Quote
Boiling is a excellent LG that filled in admirably at LT mostly because he's a solid run blocker. They still need options at tackle because Fisher may never play another snap, Ogbuehi can't run block and doesn't do anything but hug pass rushers, and Andre Smith is over 30 and inconsistent.

I like McGlinchey at #12. Some people will mention that he was solid not great in pass pro this year but fail to mention that he was excellent in the run game. Will he ever be a complete shut down LT? Probably not he will give up some pressures and a sack or 2 a year to great rushers but he will always move people in the run game.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'm not sure what you guys are all talking about, but as far as I'm concerned, OT and C are still the biggest offensive needs on this team. And, it wouldn't hurt to keep improving stock at Guard, either. While the perceived emergence of Westerman and Redmond eases a bit of the pressure, we still need to get rid of some failures (like Hopkins).

Edit: Ogbuehi and Fisher were to be included in the failures to get rid of. (someone's wife was hustling me along to lunch)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are OK at Guard but they need Tackles and a Center, they have to add 3 new O-linemen thru FA and/or the draft.

Fischer may never come back, Winston is OLD, Andre is always hurt............. Jethro Bodine & Ced are flat out terrible
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 01:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure what you guys are all talking about, but as far as I'm concerned, OT and C are still the biggest offensive needs on this team.  And, it wouldn't hurt to keep improving stock at Guard, either.  While the perceived emergence of Westerman and Redmond eases a bit of the pressure, we still need to get rid of some failures (like Hopkins).

People keep saying that but Hopkins has done the one thing you want from a young player in his first year of playing. He improved as the season went on.

People are going to say his yearly AVERAGE PFF grades are bad but if you dig a little further you'll notice when the run scheme changed he was the biggest improvement at end of the year. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being the second highest graded lineman behind Boiling.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I think much of the issue with the line was scheme related. Remember when Fan in Kettering brought up the switch to directional blocking for the Browns game? From that game forward...

Gio- 74-349-2 (4.72 YPC)
Mixon- 51-256-1 (5.02 YPC)

Before that game?

Gio- 31-109-0 (3.52 YPC)
Mixon- 127-370-3 (2.91 YPC)

The difference was obvious and incredible. They need to fire whatever idiot was responsible for the blocking scheme.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Draft Mcglichey. Start him at LT. He was graded the best run blocking left tackle the last 2 years in college. Him n Nelson were amazing to watch together
Reply/Quote
The fact we had all these line issues and a below average guard turns out to be a good tackle. Its a another indictment on Lewis and Alexander, Zampeze and a certain extent Lazor
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 01:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure what you guys are all talking about, but as far as I'm concerned, OT and C are still the biggest offensive needs on this team.  And, it wouldn't hurt to keep improving stock at Guard, either.  While the perceived emergence of Westerman and Redmond eases a bit of the pressure, we still need to get rid of some failures (like Hopkins).

This 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 01:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think much of the issue with the line was scheme related. Remember when Fan in Kettering brought up the switch to directional blocking for the Browns game? From that game forward...

Gio- 74-349-2 (4.72 YPC)
Mixon- 51-256-1 (5.02 YPC)

Before that game?

Gio- 31-109-0 (3.52 YPC)
Mixon- 127-370-3 (2.91 YPC)

The difference was obvious and incredible. They need to fire whatever idiot was responsible for the blocking scheme.

Could only hope they fire PA

Kudos to Fan in Kettering on that call as well. He is a real good poster too. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

I agree.  We ideally need a C and 2 T's.  I give Bolling great respect for the job he's done at LT, but he's a stopgap for a few games, not a 16 game starter.  He does ease the need for quality depth, because I don't think anyone will say Fisher and Og are even solid backups, but we  need major upgrades at those 3 spots.
Reply/Quote