Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scribe Mock- Hobson's picks
(04-24-2018, 02:40 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: I always love these comments.

I remember when people said that David DeCastro will not make it to us in 2012.

I also remember when people said that Billings would be a 1st rounder.

Every year there are players that are expected to go before we have a chance at them or won't make it pass round 1 and every year those guys are there.  Sometimes they are there until the 4th round, and some are there even later.

Billings is also the one I like to use when I like to point this out, but that drop was almost historic. The issue is you can always point to 25+ guys in the 1st who are projected to go in the 1st all pre draft who do in fact go in the 1st. Hernandez is the #2 guard (behind Nelson) and will go around where most #2 guards go 22-32.

I'll rephrase, Hernandez won't make it to 46. A fall to 33-36 is possible, but highly unlikely due to the lack of Tackles projected to go. Teams need O line so if it isn't tackles then it'll be interior O lineman.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2018, 02:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: Billings is also the one I like to use when I like to point this out, but that drop was almost historic. The issue is you can always point to 25+ guys in the 1st who are projected to go in the 1st all pre draft who do in fact go in the 1st. Hernandez is the #2 guard (behind Nelson) and will go around where most #2 guards go 22-32.

I'll rephrase, Hernandez won't make it to 46. A fall to 33-36 is possible, but highly unlikely due to the lack of Tackles projected to go. Teams need O line so if it isn't tackles then it'll be interior O lineman.

As I said, DeCastro was expected to be a top 10 pick in 2012. 

I know this, because I was calling for him all pre draft and was told that there was 0 chance we would have a shot at him. 

I even wanted us to go back to back OG in that draft and take Glenn with our 2nd 1st round pick.

As important as OG is, most don't go in the top 10.  As hard as this is to believe now, but we might have a shot at Nelson.  I can also see McGlinchey going before Nelson.  However you are right that Hernandez may not make it to us in round 2 and he actually may be our 1st round pick.  I don't disagree on the likely hood of where a player will be picked, I was just reminding people that slides do happen and not to be surprised if a player that was a consensus top 10 pick is there at 46 as it happens every year.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2018, 02:57 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: As I said, DeCastro was expected to be a top 10 pick in 2012. 

I know this, because I was calling for him all pre draft and was told that there was 0 chance we would have a shot at him. 

I even wanted us to go back to back OG in that draft and take Glenn with our 2nd 1st round pick.

As important as OG is, most don't go in the top 10.  As hard as this is to believe now, but we might have a shot at Nelson.  I can also see McGlinchey going before Nelson.  However you are right that Hernandez may not make it to us in round 2 and he actually may be our 1st round pick.  I don't disagree on the likely hood of where a player will be picked, I was just reminding people that slides do happen and not to be surprised if a player that was a consensus top 10 pick is there at 46 as it happens every year.

Slides do happen, but don't see it in this case from a purely numbers standpoint. Lineman will go, history has shown us at least 5 lineman will be drafted in the first round there is Nelson then what? Maybe McGLinchey/Miller maybe a Center or two, but stats overwhelmingly point to Hernandez going in the 1st. The lack of tackle talent in this draft is what makes me feel pretty strong about this. 
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2018, 08:24 AM)Au165 Wrote: A non contact play. You are trying hard to make your example work, but it won't. As all articles around the time said it was a freak accident that could have happened to anyone, keyword there anyone. Sam Bradford's injury was non contact too, but I don't see anyone trying to attribute that to anything other than a freak accident.

The Dalton point was about Jackson being small or not thick enough. We have ran Andy a decent amount in his career and he actually ran a pretty good amount in college as well. You have this weird vision in your mind that Lamar Jackson seeks contact like Cam Newton he doesn't. If you remember RG3 was criticized for not sliding and taking unneeded hits, in fact his last injury came when he decided to not go down. Cam Newton also seeks out contact, at least earlier in his career, combine that with them running him up the middle and that was an issue. 

I'm not even necessarily disagreeing that by running they could face more injuries, but I think your examples thus far have been bad. I'll point to Russell Wilson as a counter point. He has shown that if you use the run in a way that doesn't expose you to extra hits you can revolutionize the position. Even Desaun Watson last year was good at avoiding unneeded hits when he ran down field. You don't have to design special run plays for them and expose them to hits, you simply let them use it as an option if they get in trouble, that is where the value is it's in strategically using the ability not abusing it (Cam Newton).

I am simply saying Sean Payton is on record saying he likes the guy and Bill Bellicheck is also intrigued by the guy, two of the best offensive (and QB) minded coaches in the NFL. This idea that because he can run is a bad thing is really what bothers me. You don't want guys who bring less to the table, you want guys who bring more. Side note, I don't want the Bengals to take him unless it's in the 2nd as I just don't think it's a high enough priority yet.

1. You didn't answer the question. Did running in any way contribute to Watson's injury? I honestly don't know and I'm open to being wrong on that one.

2. Vick and RGIII aren't good examples? What about McNair, McNabb or Cunningham?

It just (mostly) seems that one of 2 things happens with running QBs:

(A) They're successful, but struggle with injuries, or (B) their success is short lived or non-existant. See Tebow, Manziel, RGIII, Kaepernick, etc.

Success stories like Newton (somewhat) and Wilson certainly aren't as common as the guys who flame out or get hurt. Vick is often considered the greatest running QB of all-time, but his passing numbers were pedestrian at best.

The jury is still out on Watson, and we'll see soon enough on Jackson. I'm not buying anything Payton and BB say pre-draft. If they were in love with Jackson, do you think they'd broadcast it? I'll buy the love if they draft the guy.

And I know how much Dalton has run through his career, but if you don't think Jackson will run more I don't know what to tell ya. And fwiw, Dalton doesn't look as thin as Jackson, so I'm not buying that they're the same size.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2018, 06:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. You didn't answer the question. Did running in any way contribute to Watson's injury? I honestly don't know and I'm open to being wrong on that one.

2. Vick and RGIII aren't good examples? What about McNair, McNabb or Cunningham?

It just (mostly) seems that one of 2 things happens with running QBs:

(A) They're successful, but struggle with injuries, or (B) their success is short lived or non-existant. See Tebow, Manziel, RGIII, Kaepernick, etc.

Success stories like Newton (somewhat) and Wilson certainly aren't as common as the guys who flame out or get hurt. Vick is often considered the greatest running QB of all-time, but his passing numbers were pedestrian at best.

The jury is still out on Watson, and we'll see soon enough on Jackson. I'm not buying anything Payton and BB say pre-draft. If they were in love with Jackson, do you think they'd broadcast it? I'll buy the love if they draft the guy.

And I know how much Dalton has run through his career, but if you don't think Jackson will run more I don't know what to tell ya. And fwiw, Dalton doesn't look as thin as Jackson, so I'm not buying that they're the same size.

They all referred to it as a non contact injury what was going on idk, but again it doesn’t matter. Even a pocket QB runs sprints so without contact it makes it moot.

Vick’s numbers aren’t even in the same realm as Jackson’s coming out. Jackson played in a true pro style passing scheme too.

Payton said in an interview this week they were taking Mahomes last year at 11 if KC didn’t jump them. It would make sense he really likes Jackson as well as they are similar type of runners, but Jackson is more dynamic. As for Bellicheck you never know, but that places isn’t a Fort Knox of info anymore like it used to be.

Nothing to debate about the sizes, the combine numbers are as official as they get both were the same size coming out. Dalton may have gotten bigger in the pro’s but they were nearly identical sizes at the combine.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 04:02 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Rd1) Calvin Ridley WR Bama.....
Rd2) Will Hernandez G UTEP.....

His picks are about as bad as his haircut....

So this verifies my long standing suspicion that Geoff Hobson drinks heavily on the job.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2018, 09:50 PM)pdub2005 Wrote: So this verifies my long standing suspicion that Geoff Hobson drinks heavily on the job.

Then he cuts his own hair with tweezers.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 05:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I cant see it with ross last year... Unless they think AJ is declining... Or not sold on ross yet...   Or al davis's zombie is running things lol

Actually, I would wonder if Detroit's old McMillian calling the shots. He's the one that kept on taking 1st round WR's for like 3-4 years in a row. Al just like taking the fastest guy/athletic freak available when it was his turn.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote