Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scripted vs Non Scripted
I've noticed in the past few years that the first drive on offense is typically vastly different than the rest of the game.

Sometimes we come out looking like we will score every drive, but take a steep drop off directly after.

Our scripted moments are far more successful than the non scripted moments from what I've seen, which makes sense obviously.

How many plays do you guys think are scripted per week?

Would the Bengals offense be better or worse if we focused more on non-scripted action?

I've never played the sport, does anyone have perspective from a player viewpoint?

I Wish Zampese's skills in the scripted moments transferred over... the first drive in the Redskins game was a beauty!
Reply/Quote
The problem is that when they script the opening drive, it usually works. Then, they continue to call plays from that drive that worked well, thinking that the other side won't catch on..

I wonder what would happen if they scripted two drives? And never came back to the same play, until the second drive was completed?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:01 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I've noticed in the past few years that the first drive on offense is typically vastly different than the rest of the game.

Sometimes we come out looking like we will score every drive, but take a steep drop off directly after.

Our scripted moments are far more successful than the non scripted moments from what I've seen, which makes sense obviously.

How many plays do you guys think are scripted per week?

Would the Bengals offense be better or worse if we focused more on non-scripted action?

I've never played the sport, does anyone have perspective from a player viewpoint?

I Wish Zampese's skills in the scripted moments transferred over... the first drive in the Redskins game was a beauty!

It is a great question that some of us were talking about in another thread but i like that you brought it into its own.

Zamp and even though i have even been critical of him as the QB's coach at times for the pick 6's this is only his 2nd
year as OC. We should give him a chance as this is only Preseason as well and as you and everyone saw that first drive
was a beauty and it seemed we just went vanilla after that.

Just hope this is the case and we keep a lot of that going come the opener against Baltimore.

If it is scripted it just shows how good our players are. I honestly think Dalton should have more control if anything.

A script can be read pretty damn easily.
Reply/Quote
A topic that has been discussed in the past, is that we don't make adjustments in-game as well as other teams. That could be one reason for what you're observing.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The problem is that when they script the opening drive, it usually works.  Then, they continue to call plays from that drive that worked well, thinking that the other side won't catch on..

I wonder what would happen if they scripted two drives?  And never came back to the same play, until the second drive was completed?

if the Offense sees a weakness in the "D" they should call that play often....until the "D" stops it....if they're giving you 5 yards every time....wear that puppy out.....

I noticed 1 play I just loved....Ross is on the left side....A.D. motions & Ross moves behind A.D. as Dalton drops back.....fake screen to ross in the now right flat & instead after chipping a block Mixon rolls out to the left for a screen....

one side Ross the other side Mixon......both home run threats.....
this play will work 99.9 % of the time imo... DingDing
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:41 PM)Steve Wrote: if the Offense sees a weakness in the "D" they should call that play often....until the "D" stops it....if they're giving you 5 yards every time....wear that puppy out.....

I noticed 1 play I just loved....Ross is on the left side....A.D. motions & Ross moves behind A.D. as Dalton drops back.....fake screen to ross in the now right flat & instead after chipping a block Mixon rolls out to the left for a screen....

Good one, also love the TE screen that always is a sure first down that we didn't run at all last year that i remember...

But the play you mention could go the distance at anytime. Cool
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:41 PM)Steve Wrote: if the Offense sees a weakness in the "D" they should call that play often....until the "D" stops it....if they're giving you 5 yards every time....wear that puppy out.....

Are you forgetting about the OL?  Quick hit passes only work, until the "D" realizes that the QB has only short routes to throw to...  And, with virtually no existence of a power running game, it only gets worse.  This ain't Madden, this is real football.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are you forgetting about the OL?  Quick hit passes only work, until the "D" realizes that the QB has only short routes to throw to...  And, with virtually no existence of a power running game, it only gets worse.  This ain't Madden, this is real football.

We have been running the ball better than last year and i think we will get better with more snaps for the youngens.

Especially to the right side behind Hopkins and Hewitt.

It is a start Sunset and Og is a decent pulling LT whether anyone wants to give him credit or not.

Boling is a great pulling Guard. I think we will be much better at run blocking this year from what i have seen.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We have been running the ball better than last year and i think we will get better with more snaps for the youngens.

Especially to the right side behind Hopkins and Hewitt.

It is a start Sunset and Og is a decent pulling LT whether anyone wants to give him credit or not.

Boling is a great pulling Guard. I think we will be much better at run blocking this year from what i have seen.

Nate, I appreciate your optimism and enthusiasm.  I really do.  However, sweep plays take much too long to develop, in today's NFL.  Defensive players are just too quick and smart.  Until they get three men on the inside of the OL that can move the man in front of them, they have no power running game.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 11:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nate, I appreciate your optimism and enthusiasm.  I really do.  However, sweep plays take much too long to develop, in today's NFL.  Defensive players are just too quick and smart.  Until they get three men on the inside of the OL that can move the man in front of them, they have no power running game.

Ahhh, Bodine is on your shit list again i forgot.

Damn we need a good Center. Always loved Boling's run blocking and Hopkins has shown a lot of good though you have to admit.

It is just Preseason but still i was always less then impressed with Zeitler in the run game, always.
Reply/Quote
Getting back to the original question, I believe around the first 10 plays (give or take) are scripted, based on the perceived weaknesses of the other team.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 11:56 PM)BMK Wrote: Getting back to the original question, I believe around the first 10 plays (give or take) are scripted, based on the perceived weaknesses of the other team.

It's typically 15-25, depending on the coordinator.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I won't lie, when I first saw the thread title I thought this thread was going to be about the NFL being scripted like the WWE.

As for the actually idea of being scripted, I think Andy Dalton said it best when asked about the plays being scripted. His comment was something along the lines of the team has plays sort of scripted out that they think will work but that script goes out the window when you end up in 3rd and long type situations.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The problem is that when they script the opening drive, it usually works.  Then, they continue to call plays from that drive that worked well, thinking that the other side won't catch on..

I wonder what would happen if they scripted two drives?  And never came back to the same play, until the second drive was completed?

Interesting take....I actually think the opposite.  For whatever reason, the Bengals seem to avoid running duplicate plays (especially in the passing game) like the plague.  The TE screen, for instance, is always good for 10 yards or more.  If they could run it out of various formations, you might get a defense to change its personnel.  When the opposition is in nickel and a few good blocks are laid down, those tiny DBs don't like having to come up and tackle an Eifert, Kroft, or Uzo. 

The one exception I can think of recently was that Ravens game to open the season two years ago.  The Bengals dominated the game, but kept getting FGs and Balt took the lead late on a busted coverage bomb to SSSr. Dalton almost looked like he was thinking "allright, you didn't stop this five minutes ago" so he dialed up AJ deep and won the game.  
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:22 PM)treee Wrote: A topic that has been discussed in the past, is that we don't make adjustments in-game as well as other teams. That could be one reason for what you're observing.

Agree and I believe it's "THE" reason for what we're observing. And I think one of the bigger reasons for this is Marvin's coaching style. As soon as we have any amount of success Marvin hits the brakes.

If we're going to really put on a run this season Marvin has to learn to keep rolling the dice !
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are you forgetting about the OL?  Quick hit passes only work, until the "D" realizes that the QB has only short routes to throw to...  And, with virtually no existence of a power running game, it only gets worse.  This ain't Madden, this is real football.

I disagree....
our O-line isn't that bad....
your doom & gloom scenario isn't logical....
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 07:08 PM)Steve Wrote: I disagree....
our O-line isn't that bad....
your doom & gloom scenario isn't logical....

Fair enough, Steve.  We can compare outlooks as the season progresses.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote