Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seahawks not penalized on crucial play at end of game
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/05/bat-of-loose-ball-by-k-j-wright-should-have-been-flagged/

I saw the Seahawk player knock the ball out of the end zone and wondered about it when I saw it. The Referees didn't call the penalty, which the rulebook states that if a defensive player bats a ball out of an endzone when it's on the ground - it goes back to the offense, half the distance to the goal. So the Seahawks won that game, but the ball should've been given to the Lions on the 1 yard line.
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
the gameday crew had to bring out an ex-official with 26 years of experience to tell them that. the back judge was squarely looking at it as it happened. it's baffling to me. In reality we're all human we make mistakes but when you get paid tens of thousands of dollars to know the rules and you don't. that's a blatant disregard for doing your job. it's a bad system when ref's get to basically enforce or ignore rules as they know them based on the system. even the coaches didn't know which trickles down to players not knowing. goodell is officially in deep shit and will likely lose his job over this straw that broke the camels back.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 01:24 AM)WildCat Wrote: the gameday crew had to bring out an ex-official with 26 years of experience to tell them that. the back judge was squarely looking at it as it happened. it's baffling to me. In reality we're all human we make mistakes but when you get paid tens of thousands of dollars to know the rules and you don't. that's a blatant disregard for doing your job. it's a bad system when ref's get to basically enforce or ignore rules as they know them based on the system. even the coaches didn't know which trickles down to players not knowing. goodell is officially in deep shit and will likely lose his job over this straw that broke the camels back.

You're right, the ref was staring right at him as he batted the ball out of bounds.  
If the ref calls that, as he should, Lions get ball on 1 yard line.  Now, there's always possibility they still don't score, but the chances are higher, I believe, that they do.  And if they score a TD there, they win the game instead.  So that's a clearly blown ref call that most likely changed the outcome of a game on National Television.  That's really bad!

Seahawks are 2-2 now, but that one gets an asterisk, they are really 1-3.  
Wonder if that one clearly blown call will make the difference of affecting a team making the playoffs?
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
Also, if you look on some GIFs floating around the interwebs, you can CLEARLY see the ref going for the flag and then not pulling it. Not sure what's up with that.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
The name is being changed to the NIL. No Integrity League.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This all seems weird to me. I mean I just feel like the refs incorrectly giving the Seahawks a game in Seattle sounds familiar, but i just can't place it... Ninja
Reply/Quote
https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/651248057816739845

Here is a discussion about it on NFL network.
Reply/Quote
It would have rolled out on its own. Wright got lucky. He should have been called for that and the Lions would have had it at the spot of the fumble (1 yard line) since they were the last team with possession.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Wow another critical call, botched and goes the Seahawks way... Not surprised at all by this. Is the NFL only hiring officials born in the state of Washington or something?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 02:15 AM)West Union KennyG Wrote: You're right, the ref was staring right at him as he batted the ball out of bounds.  
If the ref calls that, as he should, Lions get ball on 1 yard line.  Now, there's always possibility they still don't score, but the chances are higher, I believe, that they do.  And if they score a TD there, they win the game instead.  So that's a clearly blown ref call that most likely changed the outcome of a game on National Television.  That's really bad!

Seahawks are 2-2 now, but that one gets an asterisk, they are really 1-3.  
Wonder if that one clearly blown call will make the difference of affecting a team making the playoffs?

well it might help the seahawks i dont think it really hurt the lions chances lol
Reply/Quote
There needs to be real consequences for these officials.

Hochuli should have been fired for blowing the Chargers game years ago. Then his antics with Cam this wouldn't have even happened.

They were better off with the replacements. They should have just let the refs stay on strike and let the replacements get better.
Reply/Quote
For a team that's not even in our conference, I really ***** hate the Seahawks.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 08:49 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It would have rolled out on its own. Wright got lucky. He should have been called for that and the Lions would have had it at the spot of the fumble (1 yard line) since they were the last team with possession.

He should have just grabbed it.

I had the Seahawks D in my big money league and I kept flipping out thinking that I was going to lose by one point because I would have gotten two if he had recovered the fumble.b 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 08:49 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It would have rolled out on its own. 

This.

Hard to get too upset over a missed call that would not have really changed anything.  It is like crying about a missed holding call 10 yards behind the ball carrier.

The missed call did not give the Seahawks a win the didn't earn.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2015, 01:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Hard to get too upset over a missed call that would not have really changed anything.  It is like crying about a missed holding call 10 yards behind the ball carrier.

Yes and no. 

It would have rolled out for a touchback, HOWEVER, Wright messed up and the penalty should have been called. It doesn't matter if the flag had nothing to do with what would have happened. If you break the rules, it should be called. We are assuming the trajectory of the ball. We are most likely correct, but we do not know because Wright messed up.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Back judge screwed up.
Reply/Quote

I see a lot of people saying this, but to me it looked like the ball had almost stopped movnig toward the back of the endzone and its spinning slowed down right before it was batted.  I think it was 50/50 whether the ball takes a hop out or back into the endzone.  How many times do we see a ball that is going one way, then hits the ground again and goes a completely different direction.  Just my take on it.  I certainly do not believe it was a gimme that it was going out of the endzone.
Reply/Quote

It's a stupid rule honestly, but there are other stupid rules that the NFL enforces. If your going to say Dez didn't catch the football and the TD didn't count last year (or the catch Eifert made against the Ravens), then you have to enforce this rule too.
Reply/Quote
Definitely should have been called. They'll call a hold 20 yards away from where the ball is.

But the NFL lets part time employees control their billion dollar industry because they do not care.

Controversy means press...press means attention.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000000551505/Blandino-breaks-down-batted-ball-ruling

Blandino breaks down the play and why it was not reviewable. States the fact that penalties such can not be added to plays like this.

That's all fine and dandy, but if thats the case Blandino, why were refs allowed to add a personal foul penalty after Marvin's challenge last week that was not called on the field until after they saw the replay?...
Reply/Quote