Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sean Payton
LaCanfora (yeah I know I butchered the spelling) says that the Saints are open to trading Payton in the off-season. Are you interested? Obviously he's a SB winner and an offensive guru. The Saints have been mediocre for awhile now, but I believe that's at least partially because they've been hamstrung by Brees' massive contracts.

So what say you? Bring in Payton and let him fill his staff? Or pass? Fwiw, no...I don't think Mike Brown would ever allow a successful HC with a backbone anywhere near his money machine, but it's fun to talk about.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'd drive down and get him myself at my expense in a heartbeat.

If only.............nice to dream
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nope. Pass on Payton.
Reply/Quote
This would be gold in my opinion. I am a big believer that this team needs an offensive minded HC and I also believe a guy like Payton would benefit greatly from a change of scenery, and also having a very capable QB and arguably the best WR in the league to work with in Cincy. Having an All-Pro caliber TE that can stretch the field doesn't hurt either. I think Payton is also a great strategist and, for the most part, is solid in big games as evidenced by his 6-4 postseason record which includes a SB win.

Now, as far as the parameters of a trade? I really don't know. The most recent precedent to the best of my knowledge is when Oakland traded Gruden to TB for a 1st. Never in a million years would Mike make that deal. Very interesting to think about though.

Of course it won't happen though.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 12:21 AM)JumboTron Wrote: This would be gold in my opinion. I am a big believer that this team needs an offensive minded HC and I also believe a guy like Payton would benefit greatly from a change of scenery, and also having a very capable QB and arguably the best WR in the league to work with in Cincy. Having an All-Pro caliber TE that can stretch the field doesn't hurt either. I think Payton is also a great strategist and, for the most part, is solid in big games as evidenced by his 6-4 postseason record which includes a SB win.

Now, as far as the parameters of a trade? I really don't know. The most recent precedent to the best of my knowledge is when Oakland traded Gruden to TB for a 1st. Never in a million years would Mike make that deal. Very interesting to think about though.

Of course it won't happen though.

Trading a 1st to NO for Payton would negate the team's ability to sign another backup OT, backup CB, or 3-4 OLB miscast into a 4-3. Ain't happening.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Trading for Payton means you were able to secure a veteran, high profile, SB winning HC without having to conduct a search, negotiate a contract or even convince him to come here. 

It would actually require very little effort on Mike's part. Hmm, maybe he would be interested. LOL
Reply/Quote
He is working on his 3rd losing season in a row. Has overseen historically bad defenses.

He would be an improvement on Marvin. But it would take a strong sales pitch for me to want to trade picks for a coach who had Drew Brees in the NFC South and is at 3 years in a row of losing records.
Reply/Quote
I don't suppose a straight swap between Marvin Lewis and Sean Peyton would be an option.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 01:02 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I don't suppose a straight swap between Marvin Lewis and Sean Peyton would be an option.

We'll throw in a top Oline coach that can play piano at team Xmas parties too! 

Reply/Quote
I would take Payton for a solid second round pick. Not a first. Maybe they want Nugent? lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I would not trade for a coach we have to many needs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 01:45 AM)J24 Wrote: I would not trade for a coach we have to many needs.

The biggest of which being a HC.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 02:05 AM)JumboTron Wrote: The biggest of which being a HC.

Lol. Exactly.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 12:40 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Trading for Payton means you were able to secure a veteran, high profile, SB winning HC without having to conduct a search, negotiate a contract or even convince him to come here. 

It would actually require very little effort on Mike's part. Hmm, maybe he would be interested. LOL

Probably the only way we could get one to come play for Mikey.

Reply/Quote
Sean Payton would make Andy Dalton the MVP and Giovani Bernard the OPotY.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I would make this trade in a heart beat. Paytons Saints have been very similar to the Bengals. Dalton has flashes of Brees, I think it would be a perfect fit. If this was to happen it would show that Mikey really wants this guy and just may give him control. I think he is easily in the top 5 of active coaches. We will waste the first pick anyway.
Reply/Quote
I'll take him as HC and Rex Ryan as DC..Also take a new OC..Zampese has to be demoted back to qb coach. He doesn'r know how to run the ball or run a blocking scheme.
Reply/Quote
can we trade M. Lewis for S. Payton, we will also include famous cup of cincy chili
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 12:14 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: LaCanfora (yeah I know I butchered the spelling) says that the Saints are open to trading Payton in the off-season. Are you interested? Obviously he's a SB winner and an offensive guru. The Saints have been mediocre for awhile now, but I believe that's at least partially because they've been hamstrung by Brees' massive contracts.

So what say you? Bring in Payton and let him fill his staff? Or pass? Fwiw, no...I don't think Mike Brown would ever allow a successful HC with a backbone anywhere near his money machine, but it's fun to talk about.

Sean Payton would be an amazing offensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals -- but I don't want him as head coach.  Coaching in the pass-happy NFC South is one-dimensional:  All offense all the time -- sort of like the NBA.  Sean is not the man to be a head coach in the AFC North where defense still matters.  

The Saints are not hamstrung because of Drew Brees' contracts; they are hamstrung because Drew Brees has to put up a zillion points per game because their defense has been historically bad.  They Saints once hired Rob Ryan and got worse.

Cincinnati needs a new head coach but not one who isn't defensively smart.  Sean Payton would be Bruce Coslet 2.0, unfortunately.
Reply/Quote
Of course I would. He has a better winning percentage than our guy, and he's had 2 losing seasons in a row. Possibly a 3rd (6-8 right now)

He's been to the playoffs 5 times. He's won at least 1 playoff game 4 of those 5 years, including a Super Bowl.

I don't care if he has some down years, if he can produce like he did there, I'll take 3 losing seasons in a row.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote