Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sean Payton
Can we trade Mike Brown while we are at it?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:47 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sean Payton would make Andy Dalton the MVP and Giovani Bernard the OPotY.
We can't have that now. Can we?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 12:14 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ..I don't think Mike Brown would ever allow a successful HC with a backbone anywhere near his money machine, but it's fun to talk about.

As Fonzie used to say, "Correctamundo".

Lots here will talk and have fun, but that's all it will be. Pipe dream.
Reply/Quote
They would draft a 6'9" head coach to develop for 4 seasons and would just begin winning right before his rookie contract was up and opt for free agency first..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like him better then McCarthy but I still want Patricia as the HC.

Probably my favorite offensive option.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 08:59 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Sean Payton would be an amazing offensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals -- but I don't want him as head coach.  Coaching in the pass-happy NFC South is one-dimensional:  All offense all the time -- sort of like the NBA.  Sean is not the man to be a head coach in the AFC North where defense still matters.  

The Saints are not hamstrung because of Drew Brees' contracts; they are hamstrung because Drew Brees has to put up a zillion points per game because their defense has been historically bad.  They Saints once hired Rob Ryan and got worse.

Cincinnati needs a new head coach but not one who isn't defensively smart.  Sean Payton would be Bruce Coslet 2.0, unfortunately.

He has a decent defense right now though and that might be enough to get us through. This team has been predictable on offense for years even through the Hue Jackson/Gruden years.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 08:59 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Sean Payton would be an amazing offensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals -- but I don't want him as head coach.  Coaching in the pass-happy NFC South is one-dimensional:  All offense all the time -- sort of like the NBA.  Sean is not the man to be a head coach in the AFC North where defense still matters.  

The Saints are not hamstrung because of Drew Brees' contracts; they are hamstrung because Drew Brees has to put up a zillion points per game because their defense has been historically bad.  They Saints once hired Rob Ryan and got worse.

Cincinnati needs a new head coach but not one who isn't defensively smart.  Sean Payton would be Bruce Coslet 2.0, unfortunately.

1. The Saints defensive struggles are more of a recent thing. From 2006-2013, the Saints had an average ranking of 15th in points allowed. Over the last 3 years they've had an average rank of 30th. With Brees' contract inflating to ridiculous levels, they've had to dump talent and are limited in what they can bring in to help the defense.

2. If this were 2006, I'd agree that "pass happy" is a bad thing, but that's not just the NFCS anymore. That's the whole league. Including our division. Ben averages around 600+ attempts per 16 games under Todd Haley. Sure, Bell is involved, but they aren't exactly riding him on the ground. They get Bell involved heavily in the passing game. Flacco also has been passing close to 600 times per season.

As Bob Dylan once said, the times they are a changin'. Maybe the Bengals should change too. Bring in Payton, let him work his offensive magic, and spend money to make sure the defense remains stout. Payton hasn't had defensive players like Tez, Atkins, Dunlap and DreKirk in years. Maybe ever.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'd definitely take Payton, one of the big reasons they struggle is because the team has to carry over so much dead money year after year. Brees' contract plus a lot of dead money results in less than average players taking the field for them.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 02:05 AM)JumboTron Wrote: The biggest of which being a HC.

We need  pass rushers , coverage LBers,OT, C and Wrs. If you want the organization to trade for a coach who hasn't been to the playoffs in a while then ok but I would rather get a younger coach like McDaniels who would be cheaper and wouldn't cost us any draft picks.  
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote