Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Season not over: big picture
(10-10-2016, 11:19 AM)TWeezyBengal Wrote: We are currently 2-3 and will in all likelihood lose next week against the Patriots. Taking that into account, that would leave us at 2-4.

Here is the remaining schedule:

Browns - W
Redskins - W
@Giants - L
Bills - W
@Ravens - W
Eagles - W
@Browns - W
Steelers - L
@Texans - L
Ravens - W

The margin for error is non existent now. There is none. So, we have to win the games we are supposed to win. Honestly, I see 7 more possible wins on that schedule. It really softens up after this week. That would put us at 9-6. Good enough to make the playoffs?

This team has some issues obviously (offensive line, defense) so this is all probably just wishful thinking. Like I said in another thread, I dont think you can just "fix" the problems this team is having.

If making the playoffs means an 8th straight playoff loss or losing their third game of the season to Pittsburgh, then who needs it?
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 02:39 PM)Antares Wrote: If making the playoffs means an 8th straight playoff loss or losing their third game of the season to Pittsburgh, then who needs it?

I figured by now we'd luck into a playoff win by going to play a 7-9 division winner or getting a team that made the playoffs but is now on it's 3rd QB or something.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 02:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I figured by now we'd luck into a playoff win by going to play a 7-9 division winner or getting a team that made the playoffs but is now on it's 3rd QB or something.  

A fluke playoff win might keep Marvin here for the forseeable future. I'm not sure that I want that.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 02:54 PM)Antares Wrote: A fluke playoff win might keep Marvin here for the forseeable future. I'm not sure that I want that.

I honestly thought we'd get it in 2015.  Fitzpatrick had his 4 INT meltdown one week too early.  He and the Jets were going to come here and lay an egg so egg-like that we were going to fall ass-first into a franchise milestone.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 02:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I figured by now we'd luck into a playoff win by going to play a 7-9 division winner or getting a team that made the playoffs but is now on it's 3rd QB or something.  

Nope - the team that was on their third QB wasn't a playoff team - it was the cowgirls this past Sunday (Romo and Sanchez)
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 02:54 PM)Antares Wrote: A fluke playoff win might keep Marvin here for the forseeable future. I'm not sure that I want that.

Are you new here? Marvin is staying regardless. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 03:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Are you new here? Marvin is staying regardless. 

Yes I am new. Being stuck with Marvin doesn't mean we can't ***** about it loudly. This is what sports is all about. Right? I would love  to see a little media critisizm of Marvin. The endless media suck up is getting nauseating.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 04:42 PM)Antares Wrote: Yes I am new. Being stuck with Marvin doesn't mean we can't ***** about it loudly. This is what sports is all about. Right? I would love  to see a little media critisizm of Marvin. The endless media suck up is getting nauseating.
You'd get along just fine with Mr. Stephen A. Smith.  

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 04:45 PM)NKYRob Wrote: You'd get along just fine with Mr. Stephen A. Smith.  

I usually cant stand that guy but I cant help to agree with him here. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 05:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I usually cant stand that guy but I cant help to agree with him here. 

I can't stand this guy 99% of the time either.  But this.  This right here.

Quote:"If you got 12 years at a job and you can't win 1 single damn playoff game, you should have been gone.  So to me, I'm hear cincinnati's getting tired of it. What do you mean getting tired?  You should have been tired.  Its just that they never were, because all mike brown in cincinnati is concerned about is curbing cost and spending as opposed to putting the best product out there on the field and the best coach."

-Stephen A Smith

This is signature worthy stuff right here.  
Reply/Quote
It's not the 2-3 thats bugging me, it's the way we are getting beat. Just getting beat down on our offensive line, no run game whatsoever, no red zone offense, and getting run on whenever a team presses the issue. The only positive we have is that we haven't seen any injuries yet. Maybe we hang in there, other teams get banged up, and we gel
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 11:19 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote:  That would put us at 9-6. Good enough to make the playoffs?

Seeing as 9-6 is only 15 games, and we play 16, then no, 9-6 is not good enough to make the playoffs.

Not making the playoffs will accomplish two things:

1. Remind the fanbase just how difficult and special it is to make the playoffs. A fact they've forgotten since the Bengals have made it 5 years in a row.

2. Prevent the Bengals from losing an 8th straight playoff game. Unless things change drastically, we have no hope of winning a playoff game this season. The team has already shown that it is a second tier team that will regularly lose to the upper echelon teams.

All that said, wouldn't it be the shit if the Bengals backed into the playoffs at 9-7 and, given no shot to win, pulled the upset to break the streak?
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 04:45 PM)NKYRob Wrote: You'd get along just fine with Mr. Stephen A. Smith.  

Spot on stuff. Spot on, almost as good as his "Fire Marvin" rant after the playoff loss to San Diego.

But who in Cincinnati was getting impatient with Marvin back in April? I don't remember hearing anything about that
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 12:35 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: We can pretty much guarantee that we will be 2-4 after next week.  I'm assuming 10-6 makes playoffs.  That means that we have to go 8-2 the rest of the way.  Does anything about this team make you think we can really do that?  The OL is garbage, we can't run the ball, we are giving up way too many big plays, penalties are killing drives and extending opponents' drives, etc..

We are 6-7 since the Houston game last year.  6-8 if you include the playoff loss.  This is after an 8-0 start last year.  This team is getting worse in all phases.  How does this suddenly turn-around to 8-2?  Please someone convince me.

Sounds pretty damn dire when you sum it up like that, but I can't disagree.  Barring nothing short of a miracle, I fear it's a going to be a long, fruitless season.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 11:46 AM)Bengalboy Wrote: I don't see how on earth you carve up the schedule with that many wins  considering what we have seen to date.

I posted this in another thread but here :

@ Patriots (L)
Browns (W) Just about, but we historically play to Cleveland's level and they at least show fight.
Redskins (L) and sadly i will be there to see it in person
@Giants (L)
Bills (L) Good Running back and Mobile QB, yeh another loss.
@Ravens (L)
Eagles (L) we suck against rookie QB's
@Browns (L) Split the series
Steelers (L)
@Texans (W) The Irony will be immense, we finally beat them when it means shit.
Ravens (L)

Again i remind you we scrapped a win against the Jets (a team that others are picking apart) and Miami (a team that's more hopeless than we are) There is nothing in those or the 3 losses that suggest we do much better than i have listed above.

We might with a lot of luck and a bit improvement, best case scenario scrape 2 or 3 wins from the Redkins/@Giants/@Browns/Bills games, but that's being very hopeful. We are a 4-12 maybe 5-11 team at best i feel.

That's my opinion as well although I think we might get to 6-10. All of our remaining opponents need to do is play zone against us on defense and we're done.
Reply/Quote
We've lost to 3 REALLY good teams...and will lose to the 4th in the Patriots. Most teams don't have 4 dominant opponents in the 1st 6 weeks...so things look a lot worse than they really are.

With that said, we're not a dominant team nor are we a Super Bowl contender. We're a middle of the pack team.

We're capable of making a run at the 6th seed, but 7 to 9 wins will be our win total.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 11:19 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We are currently 2-3 and will in all likelihood lose next week against the Patriots. Taking that into account, that would leave us at 2-4.

Browns - W
Redskins - W
@Giants - L
Bills - W
@Ravens - W
Eagles - W
@Browns - W
Steelers - L
@Texans - L
Ravens - W

The margin for error is non existent now. There is none. So, we have to win the games we are supposed to win. Honestly, I see 7 more possible wins on that schedule. It really softens up after this week. That would put us at 9-6. Good enough to make the playoffs?

This team has some issues obviously (offensive line, defense) so this is all probably just wishful thinking. Like I said in another thread, I dont think you can just "fix" the problems this team is having.

after the patriots if we don't manage to win there and with the way we have played we wont unless we turn it around this week.

But after the pats we can go on a long run and carry that momentum thru the steelers into the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 02:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We've lost to 3 REALLY good teams...and will lose to the 4th in the Patriots. Most teams don't have 4 dominant opponents in the 1st 6 weeks...so things look a lot worse than they really are.

With that said, we're not a dominant team nor are we a Super Bowl contender. We're a middle of the pack team.

We're capable of making a run at the 6th seed, but 7 to 9 wins will be our win total.

When you look at the 3 losses, the results weren't surprising. Marvin is a combined 11-31 vs those teams, including the postseason. 

BTW, his record against our next opponent is 1-5. Let's hope they can somehow change that to 2-5!
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 03:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: When you look at the 3 losses, the results weren't surprising. Marvin is a combined 11-31 vs those teams, including the postseason. 

BTW, his record against our next opponent is 1-5. Let's hope they can somehow change that to 2-5!

Would you care to make a friendly $1,000 wager?
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 11:19 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We are currently 2-3 and will in all likelihood lose next week against the Patriots. Taking that into account, that would leave us at 2-4.

Browns - Win
Redskins - Win close one
@Giants - Win
Bills - Loss
@Ravens - Win
Eagles - Loss
@Browns - Win
Steelers - Loss
@Texans - Win
Ravens - Win

Think this puts us at 9-7 or 8-8 depending on outcome at NE. 

Believe the London game will be a coin flip as well. Bengals should win but Gruden will not overlook this game. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote