Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Half Tempo
Please tell Marvin Lewis that when he slows the tempo down in the second half he lessens the chances that his team can win. If ANYONE in the organization has any balls, walk up to that clown and tell him that! #Bengals #MarvinAClown #ScaredToWin #NFL #TiredOfTheBengals
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
It's part of why they will probably only win 2 more games ... 3 at best ... Oakland and one of the Browns games, and maybe the Ravens game.

IF the HC for Tampa had put Fitzpatrick in sooner, the Bucs probably would have won.

I'm sticking with 7-9 no playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Ok well then bye.

To the op. What do you mean by slowing the tempo exactly?

They ran a lot and effectively in the first half. Usually to slow tempo you run the ball. They didn’t run that much in the second half because they never really gave themselves a chance cause they couldn’t get first downs. I’m sure there are tons of reasons we can complain about why this was and how it hurt momentum but I’m not sure you can blame anyone for slowing the tempo.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 05:52 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: It's part of why they will probably only win 2 more games ... 3 at best ... Oakland and one of the Browns games, and maybe the Ravens game.

IF the HC for Tampa had put Fitzpatrick in sooner, the Bucs probably would have won.

I'm sticking with 7-9 no playoffs.

It is just starting to get irritating...

Imagine this....being chased by a man with a knife... And since you happen to be faster, you have like a 20-yard head start on the guy with a knife...Now since your gap is so comfortable, do you supposed to stop running?

Marvin Lewis is the type of giggling bastard that will stop to rest, or take baby steps because of the 20-yard gap and get his head sliced off because of being complacent.
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
Once again, Marvin nearly blows a big second half lead. I called this coming back at halftime Whatever Marvin is insanely bad at maintaining a lead. It's mind-boggling how horrible his teams play in the second half with a lead
Reply/Quote
Tempo is not just run/pass selection. It is how quickly you are up to the line, snapping the ball and such - how much time in the huddle as well. For some bizarre reason we always come out using a lot of huddle time and not being up to the line crisply. We give defenses a chance to get set for us.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 05:58 PM)motoarch Wrote: Ok well then bye.

No "I told you sos" ..  you have my word.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 06:11 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: No "I told you sos" ..  you have my word.

I think we win over Oakland, Denver, both Cleveland games and pick up one more somewhere.

If not feel free to ‘I told you so’
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 06:03 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Once again, Marvin nearly blows a big second half lead. I called this coming back at halftime Whatever Marvin is insanely bad at maintaining a lead. It's mind-boggling how horrible his teams play in the second half with a lead

This. 
While I'll take a win anyway it comes, there is no denying this teams' frequent disappearing act in the 2nd half of games. And this is nothing new. The reoccurring theme is Marvin. As soon as I seen Fitzpatrick put his helmet on, I told my oldest son the former Bengals QB was going to bring them back. 
Was that 4 straight 3 and outs after halftime?
I'm all for being smart with the ball. But you can't go full vanilla in hopes of holding on. What are we doing differently in the 2nd half?
If Fitzpatrick started today, we probably see a different ending. Better get it figured out with the HOF Brees coming to town. 
Dont get me wrong, 5-3 is nice. But if we hope to compete with top teams, especially in the playoffs, the mindset, the effort, the playcalling or whatever it takes needs to change in the second half of games. 
[Image: Pics-Art-10-07-11-00-57-1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 06:09 PM)Joelist Wrote: Tempo is not just run/pass selection. It is how quickly you are up to the line, snapping the ball and such - how much time in the huddle as well. For some bizarre reason we always come out using a lot of huddle time and not being up to the line crisply. We give defenses a chance to get set for us.

I agree with this.  This practice of coming out and attempting to "run clock" not only doesn't work, it's quite draining on the offensive personnel to disrupt their typical playing rhythms.  If things were connecting, working well, and in general working, nothing disrupts that faster than a slow down in tempo.  Killing clock works, if there's less than half a quarter to go, or your OL is just so damn dominate that they can get 4 yards every play..

This has to be a Marvin thing, because it has remained consistent through several Offensive Coordinators. Maybe Marvin just thinks it "ungentlemanly" to keep being aggressive once you have a lead in the second half, but our defense isn't smothering anyone to 13 points or less on a regular basis..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We have 5 wins this year. In 2 of them we were trailing at halftime. But I've learned from experience: Once a narrative gets rolling in this forum you cannot change it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 06:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with this.  This practice of coming out and attempting to "run clock" not only doesn't work, it's quite draining on the offensive personnel to disrupt their typical playing rhythms.  If things were connecting, working well, and in general working, nothing disrupts that faster than a slow down in tempo.  Killing clock works, if there's less than half a quarter to go, or your OL is just so damn dominate that they can get 4 yards every play..

This has to be a Marvin thing, because it has remained consistent through several Offensive Coordinators.  Maybe Marvin just thinks it "ungentlemanly" to keep being aggressive once you have a lead in the second half, but our defense isn't smothering anyone to 13 points or less on a regular basis..

I don't know the cause but we've had this issue going back to the Carson Palmer era. The offense just seems to go to sleep for large chunks of the second half. 
Reply/Quote
You have to actually get first downs to truly play uptempo
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 06:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You have to actually get first downs to truly play uptempo

Very true. If you're constantly going to go 3 and out, you might as well burn as much clock as you can doing it. 

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 06:20 PM)SouthernStripes Wrote: This. 
While I'll take a win anyway it comes, there is no denying this teams' frequent disappearing act in the 2nd half of games. And this is nothing new. The reoccurring theme is Marvin. As soon as I seen Fitzpatrick put his helmet on, I told my oldest son the former Bengals QB was going to bring them back. 
Was that 4 straight 3 and outs after halftime?
I'm all for being smart with the ball. But you can't go full vanilla in hopes of holding on. What are we doing differently in the 2nd half?
If Fitzpatrick started today, we probably see a different ending. Better get it figured out with the HOF Brees coming to town. 
Dont get me wrong, 5-3 is nice. But if we hope to compete with top teams, especially in the playoffs, the mindset, the effort, the playcalling or whatever it takes needs to change in the second half of games. 

Perfectly stated.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 06:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You have to actually get first downs to truly play uptempo

This is kinda my point. They never did anything to establish a tempo one way or another.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 06:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We have 5 wins this year. In 2 of them we were trailing at halftime. But I've learned from experience: Once a narrative gets rolling in this forum you cannot change it.

Sure, if we're going to pretend like the games against Baltimore, Atlanta and Tampa weren't near collapses Whatever 

When is the last time a Marvin Lewis coached team had a decent lead at halftime and didn't blow it? Or almost blow it? 

Sad to say, but as crazy as it may sound: we are better off trailing at halftime under Marvin Lewis
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 06:56 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Sure, if we're going to pretend like the games against Baltimore, Atlanta and Tampa weren't near collapses Whatever 

When is the last time a Marvin Lewis coached team had a decent lead at halftime and didn't blow it? Or almost blow it? 

Sad to say, but as crazy as it may sound: we are better off trailing at halftime under Marvin Lewis

This team does not handle success/play well with a lead at all.  The offense never came out of the locker room and I think the causes for that are several things.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 06:56 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Sure, if we're going to pretend like the games against Baltimore, Atlanta and Tampa weren't near collapses Whatever 

Near collapses you say?

We have not lost a game this year, in which, we were leading at halftime. 

But like I said about the narrative. 

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 07:00 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This team does not handle success/play well with a lead at all.  The offense never came out of the locker room and I think the causes for that are several things.

Is that a players thing, or a Head Coach thing?  The roster has turned over a couple times under Marvin Lewis, yet we still see the same things.  Kind of odd, don't you think?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote