Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secondary Regression
My thoughts on Lou are that if he really had his way, we'd have more LBs on the roster and that would open up a lot more scheme wise and help both the front and the back ends of the defense. We are using Williams as a LB basically. He is kind of being forced to do what he is doing this season and until we can get some LBs who are legit NFL players.

Sadly FA and the draft wasnt really good for LBs this season and Lou started waaaay late in the offseason game. Vigil and Brown are both crappy. Brown is too slow and Vigil has no instinct and takes bad angles. Neither of them can cover anyone. Teams are exploiting the LBs more than anything on our team. They are so bad, its hurting the entire defense.

Not to mention our sputtering offense is addicted to 3 and outs and cant sustain drives to give our D a break. Lou may not be that good of a DC, but this would be a bad year to try to judge that all things considered.
Reply/Quote
We've had multiple instances of blown coverages in just 4 games - blown to the point where the receiver is running with literally no one within 10+ yards of them. That sort of thing should NEVER happen with professional players.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:56 PM)bengaloo Wrote: My thoughts on Lou are that if he really had his way, we'd have more LBs on the roster and that would open up a lot more scheme wise and help both the front and the back ends of the defense. We are using Williams as a LB basically. He is kind of being forced to do what he is doing this season and until we can get some LBs who are legit NFL players.

Sadly FA and the draft wasnt really good for LBs this season and Lou started waaaay late in the offseason game. Vigil and Brown are both crappy. Brown is too slow and Vigil has no instinct and takes bad angles. Neither of them can cover anyone. Teams are exploiting the LBs more than anything on our team. They are so bad, its hurting the entire defense.

Not to mention our sputtering offense is addicted to 3 and outs and cant sustain drives to give our D a break. Lou may not be that good of a DC, but this would be a bad year to try to judge that all things considered.

So you think ZT and Lou went to ownership and asked to sign more LB's and ownership said no forcing them to run 2 LB sets?

I think that the coaches wanted more speed on the field and thought they'd be innovative and get ahead of the passing league and wanted to run 2 LB sets. I don't think that part is on management.

I also think the Coaches thought they could get Brown and Vigil playing at an acceptable level.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 11:27 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So we know that Lou was a secondary coach with the Giants. Let's look at our secondary ratings through 4 games:

Webb - 52.9
Jackson - 57.4
Kirkpatrick - 57.6
Bates - 42.1
Williams 53.7

Kind of shocking. Jackson and Bates looked like budding Pro Bowl players last year...now they look lost. And the rankings prove it.

Under bad coaching, players regress.

Our defense is weak seeing what Buffalo did they ran over like 3-4 of our players... 
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 11:45 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What else would explain guys like Jackson and Bates who were budding Pro Bowl DB's...now looking terrible and lost?

Honestly, do YOU like this staff?

wait someone looked like a probowler on our HISTORICALLY bad defense?
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 06:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: wait someone looked like a probowler on our HISTORICALLY bad defense?

Bates had a pretty good rookie year last year.
Reply/Quote
.....and yet the defensive stats as a whole, are better than they were last year at this point.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Well, the secondary cannot cover forever, and outside of the Seattle game the D line is not getting it done. Does Geno even play for us anymore? I hear Billings name more often....
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 11:51 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This is a staff that drops Billings back into coverage though...WHO wouldn't like that? (If they were an opponent.)I
I saw the play on video and it was laughable and perplexing to see Billings drop into coverage, the bundle of joy should be the anchor of our line and if they want him to move anywhere it should be towards the QB, not backwards FFS! Billing is a beast if you know how to use him.
This coaches are experimenting in the worst possible way imaginable. You experiment when you have something working already.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 07:30 AM)Wyche Wrote: .....and yet the defensive stats as a whole, are better than they were last year at this point.

And we were 3-1 win/loss at this point.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 11:09 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And we were 3-1 win/loss at this point.

.....and we were better on offense. The defense sucked last year, it's marginally better than last year at this point stat wise, but those stats aren't posted here. Hmm

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 11:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: .....and we were better on offense. The defense sucked last year, it's marginally better than last year at this point stat wise, but those stats aren't posted here. Hmm

Gee...who is our offensive coordinator? Maybe he isn't good?
Reply/Quote
We have the same Secondary coaches as last season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 08:23 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We have the same Secondary coaches as last season.

But, a different DC and scheme. I think that's the issue.
Reply/Quote