Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seems Van Pelt was a REALLY good hire...
I hope we are able to keep him for a while.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 04:53 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yes even AJ has stepped it up.

Very impressed that with the talent he possesses is still a humble student.

Gotta love him!

Yeah....this staff is bringing a lot of good changes to the offense, and it shows big time.  AJ Green is right up there with my all time favorites.  We're so fortunate to have a guy of this caliber on this team.  He may not say a whole lot, but he leads by example.  Always striving to be better, and very humble.  Also liking what Joe Mixon is saying and doing.  He's really changed my opinion of him since draft day.

(10-12-2018, 06:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Loving what Van Pelt is doing with Dalton. I particularly like this quote from that article:

“Every quarterback should be able to drop back and throw a 5 route or come-back route in a clean pocket,” Van Pelt said. “Any quarterback should be able to do that. It’s when the body is under duress. That’s my approach. It’s when you have to throw off your back foot or throw when your left foot is behind your right foot and you’re all messed up down below. That’s what we try to emphasize during those individual periods.”

I’ve seen it said a lot on this board that “Dalton can pick teams apart when he has time” well yeah...most QB’s can. Now we’re seeing him make big plays even when things aren’t perfect though. And it’s awesome.

Yes, I loved that quote too.  I love that he emphasizes these scenarios in practice.....hard to perfect that if you aren't practicing it.  Good stuff.

(10-12-2018, 09:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's great to read the story behind the story, on Van Pelt and his effect on Dalton and the offense.  However, if anyone needed any further proof, just look at how Rodgers and the Packers' offense is doing.  They seem to be losing games that they're used to winning, and they have Rodgers leading a host of great weapons at the skill positions.

Yeah, nice insight from Hobs.....did I just type that? Tongue

(10-13-2018, 09:40 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: What I like about this philosophy is not the typical analysis paralysis on footwork by most QB coaches.

I've read numerous times where a QB will come out of college and they start messing with their mechanics, especially their footwork, how their body is aligned to make the throw, drops, etc.  Van Pelt takes the approach of situations where the upper body is not stable due to what's going on below.  Just finding a way to muscle the ball somewhere to make a play, whether it be on the run or with someone draped around your waist.  Love it, old school backyard football just slinging it.

These guys are athletes.  Sometimes I think coaches make them think too much which takes away their god given instincts.

I can't stand Big Ben but the majority of his biggest plays are not drawn up on the chalkboard.  Same with Aaron Rogers.

Very good point, agreed.  I think it helps that he played the position.

(10-13-2018, 10:51 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I hope we are able to keep him for a while.

:andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm extremely happy with the Van Pelt hire, but c'mon, let's not act like Andy was a horrible QB with his last coach. When the line gave him ANY time, he could always carve up a defense. And, there's nothing wrong with throwing the ball out of bounds if no one is open, it's a hell of a lot better than taking a sack. Let's just say Andy is playing better and we are happy.....( he also has a line that's playing better and recievers that are playing better, and has a #1 back that can catch the ball......and, he had Eifert for awhile...)
Reply/Quote