Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sell me on WRs not being taken in the 1st round
Outside of the top 3, who's on the next tier of receivers?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 04:47 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Outside of the top 3, who's on the next tier of receivers?

There's the guy from USC with all the names and the cup guy.  I think they rounded out Mayock's top five, if I remember right.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Lots of them.

One of my favorite late round guys is Robert Davis. Somehow he is related to Panthers LB Thomas Davis. The guy who is tough enough to continue going after like 3 blown out knees. And played in that playoff game right after having a bunch of pins put in his forearm. Shit was gruesome. The relation makes me think highly of him.

But then he goes and puts up stupid good testing numbers. Julio Jones comparison worthy.

6'2.5" 219lbs
4.4 40
41" vert
136" broad

Under recruited because he played at a run first high school. So he ended up at Georgia State. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on a guy with ridiculous physical talent and pedigree.

I also think the Biletnikoff Award winner would be worth a later round pick. Apparently Dede Westbrook has been taken off of some teams boards. Character concerns. He ran a 4.3 40 at his pro day. Bad agility numbers. But he has the deep speed and production.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 07:57 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Lots of them.

One of my favorite late round guys is Robert Davis. Somehow he is related to Panthers LB Thomas Davis. The guy who is tough enough to continue going after like 3 blown out knees. And played in that playoff game right after having a bunch of pins put in his forearm. Shit was gruesome. The relation makes me think highly of him.

But then he goes and puts up stupid good testing numbers. Julio Jones comparison worthy.

6'2.5" 219lbs
4.4 40
41" vert
136" broad

Under recruited because he played at a run first high school. So he ended up at Georgia State. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on a guy with ridiculous physical talent and pedigree.

I also think the Biletnikoff Award winner would be worth a later round pick. Apparently Dede Westbrook has been taken off of some teams boards. Character concerns. He ran a 4.3 40 at his pro day. Bad agility numbers. But he has the deep speed and production.

Never heard of Davis before. I'll keep an eye on him.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 04:47 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Outside of the top 3, who's on the next tier of receivers?

The next group is probably Zay Jones, Chris Goodwin, Amara Darboh, and arguably Curtis Samuel, depending on whether you see him as WR or RB.
Reply/Quote
Even guys like Carlos Henderson, Fred Ross, Stacy Coley, Josh Malone, Artavis Scott, Travin Dural, etc. Will be available later on. It's a deep class this year.
Reply/Quote
I picked Robert Davis to the Bengals at pick 193 in my previous mock draft. He has first round athleticism.

Others I like are Zay Jones of ECU (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/zay-jones?id=2557863) in the second round, Josh Reynolds of Texas A&M (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/josh-reynolds?id=2558194) in the late 4th to 5th round, Josh Malone of Tennessee (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/josh-malone?id=2558127) in the late 5th to 6th, Damore’ea Stringfellow of Ole Miss depending on pro day in the 7th round

I am moderately perplexed with Green, re-signing of Lafell, and the additions last season of Boyd, and Core why people are targeting a 1st round wide receiver with so much value in the position in this draft.
Reply/Quote
The Josh's, Reynolds and Malone are a couple talents we could grab in the 3rd to 5th rounds.

K.D. Cannon is another i really like out of Baylor.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 01:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The Josh's, Reynolds and Malone are a couple talents we could grab in the 3rd to 5th rounds.

K.D. Cannon is another i really like out of Baylor.

I like Josh Reynolds as a late 5th or sixth. His player comparison just happens to be Marvin Jones. I would also be happy with Cooper Kupp if he slides.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 03:16 AM)SErebel11 Wrote: I picked Robert Davis to the Bengals at pick 193 in my previous mock draft. He has first round athleticism.

Others I like are Zay Jones of ECU (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/zay-jones?id=2557863) in the second round, Josh Reynolds of Texas A&M (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/josh-reynolds?id=2558194) in the late 4th to 5th round, Josh Malone of Tennessee (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/josh-malone?id=2558127) in the late 5th to 6th, Damore’ea Stringfellow of Ole Miss depending on pro day in the 7th round

I am moderately perplexed with Green, re-signing of Lafell, and the additions last season of Boyd, and Core why people are targeting a 1st round wide receiver with so much value in the position in this draft.

Lafell was resigned for basically one year no guarwnteed second year. Aj is 29. Hea got 3-4 elite years left. Core is a unknown. Boyd is a slot guy. When are we gonna be drafting this high again? Draft williams or davis to be your number 1 for future years. If u draft a reciever after the top 3, ur drafting a number 2 reciever. If we draft in the 20s the next 5 years, were not gonna be getting an aj green or keenan allen level player. Draft williams preferably, let him play number 2 for a couple years, then switch with aj green. Similar to what the falcons did with julio jones and roddy white.
Reply/Quote
If you look at Ju-Ju Smith's Sophomore year, the guy was pretty much unstoppable. The transition at QB this year really hurt him.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 03:55 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Lafell was resigned for basically one year no guarwnteed second year. Aj is 29. Hea got 3-4 elite years left. Core is a unknown. Boyd is a slot guy. When are we gonna be drafting this high again? Draft williams or davis to be your number 1 for future years. If u draft a reciever after the top 3,  ur drafting a number 2 reciever. If we draft in the 20s the next 5 years, were not gonna be getting an aj green or keenan allen level player. Draft williams preferably, let him play number 2 for a couple years, then switch with aj green. Similar to what the falcons did with julio jones and roddy white

I understand that but I think that guy might be there in the later rounds also. I don't see a sure fire #1 elite all pro receiver in this class like Julio or AJ Green. I think Williams has the potential to be an Anquan Boldin type of receiver but I could see him as a Treadwell also. Over the past several years the NFL has shifted into bigger cornerbacks a la Kirkpatrick and that has taken out a bit of the steam of bully ball. I think Corey Davis can be one of the better #2 possession type of receivers in the NFL. I feel like he is the safest of the three in terms of knowing what you are likely going to get. I think Ross can be really good too yet injury concerns with him are pretty high with him having already had knee surgeries. I see Ross as more or a John Brown or DeSean Jackson type of receiver if he stays healthy.

I just feel like in this draft it is imperative to someway address the trenches on both sides with some kind of impact player or the Bengals may get to draft in the top 10 again next season.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 03:16 AM)SErebel11 Wrote: I picked Robert Davis to the Bengals at pick 193 in my previous mock draft. He has first round athleticism.

There's a couple of reasons why I'd like a 1st round WR. 

First, we were 24th in scoring offense last year.  We need to score more points to win more games, plain and simple.  To emphasize this even further, we were 26th in passing TD's.  We had only 6 players who caught a TD pass, and only three that caught more than one TD pass.  We need receivers who can put points on the board desperately.  By comparison, we were tied for 19th in sacks and everybody says a pass rushing DE is a need.  You can point at young WR's that didn't produce TD's last year stepping up, but at DE, we have Will Clarke who had 4 sacks in very little playing time last year.  You can also make the case that with a new starting NT in Billings who can hopefully actually draw double teams, the other guys will have an easier time getting to the QB.

Second, we've seen this offense fall flat on it's face for years whenever Green is out.  We've also seen good teams put Green on lockdown with double and triple teams, and our other guys being unable to win consistently against man coverage, especially in the playoffs.  In several of our recent playoff losses, the D played well enough to win.  The offense struggled, because everyone knows if you shut down AJ, you shut down the Bengals.  You aren't going to win many playoff games only scoring 17 points, no matter how good your D is.

I'm not saying DE isn't an area of need, and I have no issue with Garrett, Allen, or Thomas if they fall to us.  However, reaching for Barnett, Charlton, or McDowell would be a huge mistake.  There are a lot of good pass rushers like Willis, Harris, Walker, and Williams who will likely be available at 41.  There aren't a lot of instant impact WR's at that spot.  
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 11:06 PM)Whatever Wrote: There's a couple of reasons why I'd like a 1st round WR. 

First, we were 24th in scoring offense last year.  We need to score more points to win more games, plain and simple.  To emphasize this even further, we were 26th in passing TD's.  We had only 6 players who caught a TD pass, and only three that caught more than one TD pass.  We need receivers who can put points on the board desperately.  By comparison, we were tied for 19th in sacks and everybody says a pass rushing DE is a need.  You can point at young WR's that didn't produce TD's last year stepping up, but at DE, we have Will Clarke who had 4 sacks in very little playing time last year.  You can also make the case that with a new starting NT in Billings who can hopefully actually draw double teams, the other guys will have an easier time getting to the QB.

Second, we've seen this offense fall flat on it's face for years whenever Green is out.  We've also seen good teams put Green on lockdown with double and triple teams, and our other guys being unable to win consistently against man coverage, especially in the playoffs.  In several of our recent playoff losses, the D played well enough to win.  The offense struggled, because everyone knows if you shut down AJ, you shut down the Bengals.  You aren't going to win many playoff games only scoring 17 points, no matter how good your D is.

I'm not saying DE isn't an area of need, and I have no issue with Garrett, Allen, or Thomas if they fall to us.  However, reaching for Barnett, Charlton, or McDowell would be a huge mistake.  There are a lot of good pass rushers like Willis, Harris, Walker, and Williams who will likely be available at 41.  There aren't a lot of instant impact WR's at that spot.  

You give a lot of good reasons for not only taking a WR, but actually getting a threat at RB so we aren't so dependent on the passing game.  If you get a guy that teams have to account for running the ball, there's going to be a lot of openings for the WRs and TEs. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 11:22 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: You give a lot of good reasons for not only taking a WR, but actually getting a threat at RB so we aren't so dependent on the passing game.  If you get a guy that teams have to account for running the ball, there's going to be a lot of openings for the WRs and TEs. 

Definitely.  RB is a big need, as well.  Gio is coming back from major injury.  Hill is mediocre and in a contract year.  Peerman is a glorified ST's guy.  If you can get a value on a RB in the first three rounds, you have to consider it.
Reply/Quote
The first reason I wouldn't go WR is I think we have much more pressing needs. There is no value for Offensive Tackle in this draft at #9 but if we could trade down and still pick up somebody like Lamp, Ramzyck, Robinson, or Bolles that would be nice. With no trade down I think we have bigger needs at Defensive End/Pass Rusher (Bartnett, Charlton, Allen, and even Reddick) also we could use an upgrade at RB more so than WR in my opinion. If a guy like Fournette is available at #9 then he has to be under serious consideration. As far as what you can get later in the draft, I think the Bengals have several options. We already have Green and Lafell as the top 2. They are followed up by 3 second year players that showed promise in Boyd, Core, and Erickson. That leaves one more WR spot and while I wouldn't hate a Williams, Ross, or Davis I don't think that is the route we should go with a top 10 selection. I like Zay Jones, Carlos Henderson, and Smith-Schuster that have already been mentioned. I would also add in Chad Hansen from Cal. I don't know if it is because they went to the same school or what but I am reminded of Marvin Jones with his size and speed and ability to catch the ball. I think we have plenty of options to add another quality WR that doesn't cost us a top 10 draft selection.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
I say we get a WR in the later rounds, def not with the first round pick.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 02:43 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I like Josh Reynolds as a late 5th or sixth. His player comparison just happens to be Marvin Jones. I would also be happy with Cooper Kupp if he slides.

Could happen, i have heard Reynolds mentioned in the 3rd round though.

Kupp could slide after his poor forty.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 04:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Could happen, i have heard Reynolds mentioned in the 3rd round though.

Kupp could slide after his poor forty.

Kupp improved into the 4.5 range at his pro day.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
For me, if we don't take a WR in the 1st, I'd like to see the Bengals wait until Day 3.
And you gotta think Josh Reynolds is high on their list for Day 3 WRs. He already met with the team at the Combine and is getting comparisons to Marvin Jones.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote