Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sell me on WRs not being taken in the 1st round
(03-30-2017, 04:56 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Kupp improved into the 4.5 range at his pro day.

Cool man, didn't know that. All for Kupp in the 3rd round.

Dude just had results in college. As far as just being a WR he was a top 5 guy last year.

(03-30-2017, 05:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: For me, if we don't take a WR in the 1st, I'd like to see the Bengals wait until Day 3.
And you gotta think Josh Reynolds is high on their list for Day 3 WRs. He already met with the team at the Combine and is getting comparisons to Marvin Jones.

Reynolds makes more sense than about anyone for sure.

I believe he is a little bigger than MLJ too.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 05:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cool man, didn't know that. All for Kupp in the 3rd round.

Dude just had results in college. As far as just being a WR he was a top 5 guy last year.

Reynolds makes more sense than about anyone for sure.

I believe he is a little bigger than MLJ too.

Not really. He's 1" taller, but ~5 lbs lighter than MLJ.
Jones also has nearly 2" longer arms and nearly 1" bigger hands than Reynolds.

They are very similar in size and skill set though, plus Reynolds is raw in many ways that MLJ was coming out of Cal. He would need a season or two to groom and used just as a WR3/4 out of the gate.
I think that's the reason LaFell was retained. He's the bridge until Core and/or a guy like Reynolds develop enough to start.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 05:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not really. He's 1" taller, but ~5 lbs lighter than MLJ.

They are very similar in size and skill set though, plus Reynolds is raw in many ways that MLJ was coming out of Cal. He would need a season or two to groom and used just as a WR3/4 out of the gate.
I think that's the reason LaFell was retained. He's the bridge until Core and/or a guy like Reynolds develop enough to start.

Thanks Ocho, thought Reynolds was 6'4" just like AJ.

That actually sounds like a good plan, i think we could be just fine with our weapons as long as the running game
is upgraded. Core could be special with his size, speed and physicality. Uzomah has lots of talent, Boyd is a very
solid Slot receiver etc. Bring back Eifert and we are better off than most as long as our QB can get them the ball.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 05:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not really. He's 1" taller, but ~5 lbs lighter than MLJ.

He's slower than Jones, too.  Marvin was a mid 4.4 guy while Reynolds is a low 4.5 guy based on their combine times.

I think Reynolds is a good prospect and will be a productive player, but I don't think he really brings anything to our team that isn't already here.  We need a deep threat that can cut the top off a defense, and Reynolds isn't that guy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I personally think were not lookjng for speed were looking for big tall guys like williams and reynolds imo as oppossed to the shorter quicker recievers.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 05:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: For me, if we don't take a WR in the 1st, I'd like to see the Bengals wait until Day 3.
And you gotta think Josh Reynolds is high on their list for Day 3 WRs. He already met with the team at the Combine and is getting comparisons to Marvin Jones.

Haven't watched much of Josh Reynolds yet but he was getting a lot of praise on a draft podcast I was listening to earlier this week. Comparisons to Marvin Jones ability wise and Chris Henry with his size 6'3 but thin like 197 or something and speed to match.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2017, 01:29 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I personally think were not lookjng for speed were looking for big tall guys like williams and reynolds imo as oppossed to the shorter quicker recievers.

Why? We have big tall guys, we need speed.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2017, 02:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Why? We have big tall guys, we need speed.

i dont know. It just seems like most of the recievers we meet with and scout are more big bodied recievers ala green than for example ross body type. Could be wrong just the feeling i get.
Reply/Quote
I'm not opposed to taking a WR, but I'm having issues separating the three talent wise. You could deal down to 15, and still get the same talent. Yes, there is a drop from the top 3, but the depth may be a lot of late 2nd to early 3rd types sliding to the 4th.

I know "need" is a touchy topic, but there is a good shot this team (maybe not this board) ranks Barnett and Taco as BPA as well as maybe their biggest need. The quicker you get that off the board the more it opens the draft. I wouldn't let hoping the best for Core stop you from taking a WR early, but I just don't hear a case for a WR that will instantly transform this offense into a top 10. I want to see that in Williams seriously but I'm caught up too much in what he could be not what he is.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2017, 12:52 AM)phil413 Wrote: I'm not opposed to taking a WR, but I'm having issues separating the three talent wise. You could deal down to 15, and still get the same talent. Yes, there is a drop from the top 3, but the depth may be a lot of late 2nd to early 3rd types sliding to the 4th.

I know "need" is a touchy topic, but there is a good shot this team (maybe not this board) ranks Barnett and Taco as BPA as well as maybe their biggest need. The quicker you get that off the board the more it opens the draft. I wouldn't let hoping the best for Core stop you from taking a WR early, but I just don't hear a case for a WR that will instantly transform this offense into a top 10. I want to see that in Williams seriously but I'm caught up too much in what he could be not what he is.

After the top 3, there is a HUGE dropoff of talent. Williams and davis will both be number 1 wrs in this league, ross if he stays healthy. U cant say that about any others. Barnett is very slow as is taco. Taco had one year of production. Barnett had good production, but same value and production can be had in second round. U said nobody made the argument of a wr transforming this into a top 10 offense. I will.
Mile williams will transfoem this offense into a top 3 offense. You have aj green constantly drawing double teams while still getting 1300+ yards this coming season. Since he gets double teams that leave mike williams 1 on 1 on the other side. Williams ran a 4.49 at almost 220 pounds. Thats faster than aj with about 6-7 pounds more. He excels at the 50/50 balls, even better than aj. He also is elite at getting late seperation. He uses his big body which he could still add muscle too to box out corners and his insane catch radius to go get it. His player comp is keenan allen. Would you take keenan allen number 9? Without the injuries? And nobody has stopped his comeback route yet. Yes his routes need to improve, but who better to teach than boyd and green and lafell 3 great route runners. That also would open up underneath with boyd running short/mid routes and eifert doing what he does catching tds. Not to mention with all this the opposing defense would have to respect the drag routes of eifert and boyd with williams and green eating up corners that there would be less preasure on the running game and on andy dalton. That is my argument. I could do davis comparing him to obj to as well with his yac ability just like obj.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 04:47 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Outside of the top 3, who's on the next tier of receivers?

Zay Jones
Carlos Henderson
and several others worthy of a second round pick.

The WR class is deep this year at the WR2, deep threat, and slot positions.

The defense needs help at DE and LB.  The Oline needs help at multiple spots.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I understand the masses saying the need for a DE LB. Other than Dunlap and Burfict there was very little
Impact from either position
But a DE or LB does me no good when the offense is struggling to score TD especially in the red zone and the Bengals are down by 4 in the 4th q.
This offense needs firepower especially to be able to overtake Pittsburgh
Heck this offense could barely score vs the lowly Bills
Cody Core and Tyler Boyd are really nice complimentry pieces but neither are exactly Keeping DC up
Late at night
In a couple yrs Green will 30. LaFell won't be here past 2017.
It needs a franchise WR waiting in the wings it's not too early to think about the future
Draft a game breaker let him learn behind AJ bring him along slowly where he's not under pressure to
Produce right away
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2017, 02:08 AM)Jpoore Wrote: i dont know. It just seems like most of the recievers we meet with and scout are more big bodied recievers ala green than for example ross body type. Could be wrong just the feeling i get.

Man, i just see a guy like DeSean Jackson in his prime and wonder what it would be like to have a guy like that opposite AJ.
Reply/Quote