Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sending In My Resume To Be A Bengals Scout
Didn't know where to post this, but since it involves the Bengals I figured I'd post it here.

Today I am sending in my resume to Paul Brown Stadium to become a scout. While they have 3 scouts, I figured why not take a shot and give myself a chance to get in somehow. Whether it be an assistant or even an intern.

I have been a writer for this website called StripeHype and even became a Co-Editor. It was during this time when many of our sites articles were posted by Sports Illustrated. I mostly got the job due to my scouting reports and draft talk. During my time working for the website, I had the opportunity to interview a few players (Jayson Dimnache, Jordan Campbell, Mohamed Sanu, and Adam Jones). However, almost all my energy was put into scouting tape and looking into the players we had drafted. Sadly, I had to step down from doing this full time due to working full time at another job and going to school full time. However, I still posted articles. It's been almost a year since I last posted there, but I did scouting reports on almost every player the Bengals drafted in 2015.

My ties to the NFL are limited outside of me reaching out for writing jobs and such. My grandfather works for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and on his side of the family is Dan Marino, who is my cousin. However, I've only met him once. Nice guy. So while my family being a little involved in the NFL, I still have other ties to sports. During my freshman year, I worked for Penn State's Athletic Department. I worked for the basketball and wrestling team as an announcer. I got to sit and talk to stat trackers and see things from an inside perspective. I got to meet every player that walked in, along with coaches. However, the guy who hired me ended up leaving after my first season there and thus that job fell through since the new guy that took over wanted to hire his own people.

I just wanted to give some background information on me as to why I am putting my name out there. I am passionate about my Bengals all the way through. My scouting reports are still up, and I am reaching for a dream that I can only hope to achieve.

I also wanted to post this here because if it weren't for this message board, I would have never looked into the draft perspective as early and often as I did. There were a few contributors to that, but my whole scouting hobby (and hopefully career) started on the Bengals message board.

I will keep everyone updated on how the process goes, or even if it's an email reply saying no thank you.

Thank you all for the support, criticism, and direction.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Good luck!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good luck. Hope you added on that resume that you will work for free and pay your own travel expenses. Smirk
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Good luck from me as well. I'll put my resume out there too.. 20 years auto body work,  10 years spraying a variety of finishes..uhmmm..cook for a nice hotel for awhile,  hauled scrap metal, do woodworking as a hobby and part time job.. Man! I'm just over qualified.. DAMMIT!
Oh yeah ..I sometimes watch football on TV AND post on this very board and own an ok table saw ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Good for you. I chased my music dream when I was 27 and even though my band didn't get signed, I was able to walk away knowing that I gave it a real shot and lived my dream for awhile. We played some local shows, got played on WEBN and even got a mention in a magazine. I think everyone should chase their dream once. Hope you get the gig. ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
That's awesome!! Good luck man!

I myself have a bachelors degree in journalism, specifically in sports writing. I have yet to put it to use. I also share a desire to someday work for the Bengals. Be it as a sports reporter, maintenance worker, whatever. Hope to see you at Paul Brown someday   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Anyone can watch film and claim to be a scout. NFL teams will want some proof that you are a GOOD scout.

What type of training or background do you have that would show them that you are a good scout?
Reply/Quote
Shoulda listed "I listen to bfine" as a qualification.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Good. Now we'll have someone to directly point the finger at.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 02:01 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Good luck. Hope you added on that resume that you will work for free and pay your own travel expenses.  Smirk

LMAO ....beat me to it.  Oh, and must have an affinity for Wendy's and late 80's Chevrolets.  ThumbsUp

All jokes aside, best wishes OP, hope it works out for you....and work on that grandfather of yours....sheesh!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Remember if they are really good dancers n have quick feet, but they are bad at football , are weak for there size, had a horrible senior year , n coming off a serious acl injury probably not a first round draft pick. Those are all called clues.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 02:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Anyone can watch film and claim to be a scout.  NFL teams will want some proof that you are a GOOD scout.

What type of training or background do you have that would show them that you are a good scout?
Fred, IMO the Bengals probably do not subscribe to this standard of expertise.
Reply/Quote
I seem to remember another poster doing this on The old boards.

I imagine you'll have similar luck.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 02:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Anyone can watch film and claim to be a scout.  NFL teams will want some proof that you are a GOOD scout.

That's why he said he would be an "assistant or even an intern". He's trying to get his foot in the door, not be one of their big scouts right away.
Reply/Quote
My dream job would be to be in the war room helping to make decisions for this team on draft day.  I wanna be the fat kid in Money Ball that Brad Pitt hires away from another organization to help him build his organization. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote

Is it out of question to send videos of you watching videos? It's pretty much what's "in" now.  Cool
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Good luck man but from what I understand you break into scouting by doing reports for those scouting panels.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 04:11 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Is it out of question to send videos of you watching videos? It's pretty much what's "in" now.  Cool

This guy might be onto something.

Creating videos/streams where you are watching film, breaking down players, and giving your expert opinion may be something they would like to see.

A video on how great of a prospect Ogbuehi is perhaps Ninja  
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 02:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good for you. I chased my music dream when I was 27 and even though my band didn't get signed, I was able to walk away knowing that I gave it a real shot and lived my dream for awhile. We played some local shows, got played on WEBN and even got a mention in a magazine. I think everyone should chase their dream once. Hope you get the gig. ThumbsUp

Name of Band Links?  
Reply/Quote
I'm working on my doctorate in marketing. I bet if I applied for a job with the Bengals they'd give the position to Mike Brown's goldfish before they gave it to me.
Reply/Quote