Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Senior Bowl Coverage
(01-25-2018, 07:32 PM)Jpoore Wrote: To me? Someone who has own website, and does some traveling to games and watches a lot of film and can explain why a player is better than someone else and why said player will do good.

So, no credentials of any kind, no verifiable coaching experience, no documented history of showing the ability to identify players with specific traits and abilities that make him a better football player than the next guy?

By those standards, we're ALL pretty much "amateur scouts"..

Seriously, any random guy can set up a website, call himself an amateur scout, and promote his "list".  What sets actual scouts apart, is that they do have credence in their craft, enough to the point that professional sports franchises pay them to locate talent.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Would folks get off Jpoore and let him share his thoughts. If you don't believe him, fine; dismiss his views. I will read them and give them the same merit that I do many on this forum.

Now, WTS, has the Big OT from NC A&T improved?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 07:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, no credentials of any kind, no verifiable coaching experience, no documented history of showing the ability to identify players with specific traits and abilities that make him a better football player than the next guy?

By those standards, we're ALL pretty much "amateur scouts"..

Seriously, any random guy can set up a website, call himself an amateur scout, and promote his "list".  What sets actual scouts apart, is that they do have credence in their craft, enough to the point that professional sports franchises pay them to locate talent.
That's the difference between a pro and amateur scout. Maybe I'm not getting the point across in the right way. I don't really care about coaching experience all that. But he does need to have a track record of being able to identify talent. And how that talent will translate on the field. That is a must. I think a minimum of 3 years with a good track record of hits off the normal path makes u a amateur scout. Sorry if I'm not getting my point across better. But a track record of success, which traits make him elite/better than ur average player, and how those traits will be diagnosed at the next level are a must.
(01-25-2018, 07:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Would folks get off Jpoore and let him share his thoughts. If you don't believe him, fine; dismiss his views. I will read them and give them the same merit that I do many on this forum.

He improved today. But still struggling with the same type of players that mcg struggles with. Leverage speed rushers.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 09:05 PM)Jpoore Wrote: That's the difference between a pro and amateur scout. Maybe I'm not getting the point across in the right way. I don't really care about coaching experience all that. But he does need to have a track record of being able to identify talent. And how that talent will translate on the field. That is a must. I think a minimum of 3 years with a good track record of hits off the normal path makes u a amateur scout. Sorry if I'm not getting my point across better. But a track record of success, which traits make him elite/better than ur average player, and how those traits will be diagnosed at the next level are a must.
He improved today. But still struggling with the same type of players that mcg struggles with. Leverage speed rushers.

Sorry man, not trying to bust on you, personally.  But, all you're doing is regurgitating what someone else already said.  This board DOES have a few people that I could consider "amateur" scouts, they are very good at identifying tendencies that they see in GAME film, and do well to articulate what they see to the rest of us.  I don't want to single anyone out, but most of us know who they are.

Show me something of your own creation, take me through it, step by step, and make me a believer.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Mike Gesicki TE from Penn State had a huge day Thursday in the redzone drills. Im looking forward to how well he tests at the combine.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 07:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Would folks get off Jpoore and let him share his thoughts. If you don't believe him, fine; dismiss his views. I will read them and give them the same merit that I do many on this forum.

Sorry bfine, but jpoore gets harshly criticized around here because he makes statements that hardly anyone (or no one) else observes. And when pressed to provide evidence to support those claims, his response is “go watch the tape.” No links unless you hound him repeatedly. And mentioning what some other “established” sites/analysts say that contradict his statements, he simply says those analysts are wrong. He has an arrogant tone to his posts that rub people the wrong way which also contributes to everyone attacking him.

If he’s going to convince others of his opinion, he needs to provide supporting evidence and help others see his point of view. That’s the proper way to debate.

Edit - Also, many of us have been together on this board plus the old board for around a decade or so. We’ve built reputations from years of convos. Someone coming in within just a year or two is going to have a tough time establishing credibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

No one has prevented Jpoore from sharing a single thought as evidenced by damn near every thread in the draft subforum.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 09:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sorry man, not trying to bust on you, personally.  But, all you're doing is regurgitating what someone else already said.  This board DOES have a few people that I could consider "amateur" scouts, they are very good at identifying tendencies that they see in GAME film, and do well to articulate what they see to the rest of us.  I don't want to single anyone out, but most of us know who they are.

Show me something of your own creation, take me through it, step by step, and make me a believer.
Fair enough. Give me what u want scouted be more than happy to post my notes on players.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 11:22 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Fair enough. Give me what u want scouted be more than happy to post my notes on players.

Ok, I'll start with an easy prospect, Billy Price.  I don't want some "hype" bs, tell me about his negatives, as well.  (I'm a Buckeye homer)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 11:22 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Fair enough. Give me what u want scouted be more than happy to post my notes on players.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Q-and-a

We're still waiting on these.
Reply/Quote
Who was the LB who was from South Carolina State. Dude seemed fast.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018meetings5.php

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018meetings6.php

I guess they consider WR a bigger need than I think it is.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 06:43 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Who was the LB who was from South Carolina State. Dude seemed fast.

Darius Leonard and I think he is a real sleeper.
Reply/Quote
Mike White made some money this week. He looked like he belonged in the QB conversation.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2018, 11:03 PM)Synric Wrote: Mike White made some money this week. He looked like he belonged in the QB conversation.

Kyle Lauletta made some money as well....Dude would be a nice pickup for us in the mid rounds.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 10:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep. And unless someone can prove some evidence on the contrary, I can’t recall a single QB with bad accuracy in college that became an accurate passer in the NFL. Accuracy isn’t something that I’ve seen as a “coachable” issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's been players that have not had stellar college careers but do well in the NFL. Matt Ryan is the closest one I can think of when it comes to accuracy.

Other than that, you'd have to go back to Brett Favre.

(01-24-2018, 11:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Or he could be Boomer Esiason 2.0. 

Nah. Boomer was a much better presence in the pocket. Allen has a strong arm and can make some incredible throws that very few other QBs can make, but he's extremely night and day. He's very inconsistent and didn't play well against tougher competition. He also makes terrible decisions. His footwork is still behind.

He has a great arm. Arguably the best in the draft. But his mechanics are dreadful and so is his decision making.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2018, 02:34 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: There's been players that have not had stellar college careers but do well in the NFL. Matt Ryan is the closest one I can think of when it comes to accuracy.

Other than that, you'd have to go back to Brett Favre.

Nah. Boomer was a much better presence in the pocket. Allen has a strong arm and can make some incredible throws that very few other QBs can make, but he's extremely night and day. He's very inconsistent and didn't play well against tougher competition. He also makes terrible decisions. His footwork is still behind.

He has a great arm. Arguably the best in the draft. But his mechanics are dreadful and so is his decision making.

I see Allen and I can't help but think Jake Locker and DeShone Kizer.

Reply/Quote
I think this was a bad week for Mayfield even though he had a good week. He measured in small and he doesn't have big hands. What I think hurts him more than that was Allen and Mike White looked really good.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote