Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sensitivity fascists
(03-08-2016, 04:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: But seriously, didn't know calculus was the solution? I don't know if that's a failure on teaching, liberal arts education, or just basic knowledge.

Oh, I did.  And I'm sure a few others in the class did as well.  But the loud groans were pretty evident most didn't know.

That's just one example.  Most liberal arts cores are a broad survey, and truthfully you won't have enough of a foundation to do what is intended with that course/topic until after at least 3-4 semesters. 

If there's not an actual sequence of courses - which is pretty much every Liberal Arts core - it's useless.  It's merely exposing you to the ideas, which you will get just as much from a book in most cases.

Heck, I was perusing Univ IL core reqs, and thought 4 semesters of a foreign language was pretty good, at first.  I did 3, and my Spanish didn't get any better.  If you want to learn a foreign language - which is a good idea - maybe you're better off with a program like Rosetta Stone.  Or something more challenging/immersive than what you get in a college semester.
--------------------------------------------------------

(03-08-2016, 05:11 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Oh, I did.  And I'm sure a few others in the class did as well.  But the loud groans were pretty evident most didn't know.

That's just one example.  Most liberal arts cores are a broad survey, and truthfully you won't have enough of a foundation to do what is intended with that course/topic until after at least 3-4 semesters. 

If there's not an actual sequence of courses - which is pretty much every Liberal Arts core - it's useless.  It's merely exposing you to the ideas, which you will get just as much from a book in most cases.

Heck, I was perusing Univ IL core reqs, and thought 4 semesters of a foreign language was pretty good, at first.  I did 3, and my Spanish didn't get any better.  If you want to learn a foreign language - which is a good idea - maybe you're better off with a program like Rosetta Stone.  Or something more challenging/immersive than what you get in a college semester.

I've been doing pretty good with German. That being said, your Rosetta Stone plug is pretty funny given they are my former employer. Different learning style for different folks, though, that's the key.